Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Next Step?

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11 12:37 PM
      You can do as all us stay-at-homes, and research your family history in
      Slovakia with microfilms of church records. So the next question is, what
      religion was the family? Then you can figure out where the records are for
      your people. They may have been in a nearby town, or in Lesne. I am not
      familiar with it -- are you sure of the spelling? Names get garbled on
      American documents. Have you checked the map?

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12 5:29 AM
        I just had to let everyone know about an exciting connection that I just
        made. I e-mailed a doctor in Bratislava that I found doing an internet
        search on my last name. I told him who I was and some information on my
        grandfather. He e-mailed me back after a couple of weeks with a general
        hello message and he would talk to some of his older family. I thanked him,
        and had not heard from him for about 5 weeks.

        Then this morning, I had an e-mail from him telling me that his family came
        from Lesne' which is the same town that I just found out that my family came
        from. I e-mailed him back with the names of my grandfather's mother and
        father that stayed in Slovakia so that he could see if they are part of his
        family. Since Salapa is not a very common name and we both came from the
        same town, I am sure that we are related. Now we just have to figure out
        how.

        It will be nice to have a relative that I can talk to that still lives in
        Slovakia. I think this is exciting, finding living relatives that you never
        knew.

        Tom Salapa
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12 12:12 PM