Next Step?

  • SalapaT@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11 4:55 AM
      Now that I finally have some time to seriously dive into research, I started
      by sending for my grandfather's SSN application. That turned out to be one
      of the best things that I did, since there was no one alive that could give
      me this info.

      This is what I found out:

      My grandfather was John Salapa, his place of birth was Lesne, Czechoslovakia.
      He was born on September 23, 1903 to George and Anna Salapa, and his
      mother's maiden name was Zajac. My father never even heard of this name
      before. It was a new name to begin to search on.

      My question is, since I will not be going to Slovakia any time soon, what is
      the best course of action to start researching the family line over there. I
      know that my grandfather's family stayed over there, only my grandfather and
      his brother came to America. My father said that his Anna died and George
      remarried, and had more kids, all stayed over there.

      All suggestions are appreciated.

      Thanks in advance,

      Tom Salapa
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12 5:08 AM
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, SalapaT@a... wrote:
        > Now that I finally have some time to seriously dive into research,
        started
        > by sending for my grandfather's SSN application. That turned out
        be one
        > of the best things that I did, since there was no one alive that
        could give
        > me this info.
        >
        > This is what I found out:
        >
        > My grandfather was John Salapa, his place of birth was Lesne,
        Czechoslovakia.
        > He was born on September 23, 1903 to George and Anna Salapa, and
        his
        > mother's maiden name was Zajac. My father never even heard of this
        name
        > before. It was a new name to begin to search on.
        >
        > My question is, since I will not be going to Slovakia any time
        soon,
        what is
        > the best course of action to start researching the family line over
        there. I
        > know that my grandfather's family stayed over there, only my
        grandfather and
        > his brother came to America. My father said that his Anna died and
        George
        > remarried, and had more kids, all stayed over there.
        >
        > All suggestions are appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Tom Salapa

        ahoj Tom Salapa

        Don't know your surnames.
        This is a long reply.
        Perhaps it will assist other new surname researchers.

        This is what I found out :

        Lesné is located 220 miles ENE of Bratislava and
        6 miles west of Michalovce in eastern Slovakia.

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 3 surname S^alapa
        (Shalapa) under Lesné and 3 surnames under Michalovce,
        Slovakia.
        Directory also lists 8 surname Zajac (Zayac) under Michalovce.

        What was surnames religion ?

        The LDS-Mormons has filmed all the parish church records at six
        of the seven regional Slovak State Archives in Slovakia.

        Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

        LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

        http://www.lds.org/en/2_How_Do_I_Begin/4_Where_is.html

        Hungarian English
        rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
        ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
        izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

        Church records
        http://www.bmi.net/jjaso//

        In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
        Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
        Sobás^ení = Marriages
        Zomrelí = Deaths

        In Hungarian the matriky are titled anyakönyvek.

        Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

        In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
        Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
        Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
        Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records

        Records are generally written in Hungarian and Latin/Greek.
        Usually cover the period 1750-1895.

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed G.C. parish church records
        (1811-1938) for Lesné.
        Listed under Pusté C^emerné, formerly Márk-Csemernye,
        Zemplén, Megye (county) Hungary.
        Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Church Slavonic*

        *
        http://vax.library.utoronto.ca/www/pjrc/fonts/OC-ALPHA.HTM

        The LDS-Mormons have filmed the R.C. parish church records
        (1790-1922) for Lesné.
        Listed under Niz^ny' Hrus^ov, formerly Alsó-Körtvélyes,
        Zemplén Megye (county), Hungary.
        Text in Latin and Hungarian.

        Happy hunting !