No Visa required for Canada

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
      Effective today, Slovaks no longer require a visa to visit Canada.
      Hallelujah!

      As recently as Monday, I sent a notarized invitation to cousins in
      Slovakia -- now redundant.
    • bemimitwo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
        Is visa and passport the same thing? will they still need anything else to go
        to canada?
        thanks jennifer

        2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
          Travelers from Slovakia will still need a passport -
          all international travelers do - but they won't have
          the expense and headache of getting a visa (permission
          to enter for a certain time period) which was not
          often not granted and caused a lot of heart ache and
          uncertainty.

          helene

          --- bemimitwo@... wrote:

          > Is visa and passport the same thing? will they still
          > need anything else to go
          > to canada?
          > thanks jennifer

          > removed]

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • bemimitwo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
            Thanks Helene,
            I was told that a passport was difficult and expensive to obtain but now I
            wonder if that was because they needed both? Visa and passport?
            I thought that could be I could meet my CZ family in Canada?
            Do you know how hard is it for them to get a passport?
            Thanks Jen

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008

              Passports are quite common and nearly everyone has one. Until the
              recent Shengen Agreement, they needed a passport, now merely an identoy
              card to cross borders.
            • Vladimir Linder
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2008
                Since they became members of the EUROPEAN UNION no passports were
                required to visit any of the Shengen treaty countries and you went
                trough the border showing your identity card. Much lee questions
                asked like we used to here by the USA or Canadian border patrol
                officers. You do need a passport to England as they aren't members of
                the Shengen treaty. I was wondering when I wen through the check at
                the Heathrow airport in London and then again at Swechatt in VIenna
                Austria. And that stays. Arriving from England you have to show your
                passport. Another news at Heathrow is that now after two or more
                years you can have once again two carry on bags.

                Vladi

                At 07:14 PM 3/1/2008, you wrote:

                >Passports are quite common and nearly everyone has one. Until the
                >recent Shengen Agreement, they needed a passport, now merely an identoy
                >card to cross borders.

              • Paul Guzowski
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2008
                  Greetings,

                  I think there may be some misunderstanding floating around about the
                  Schengen Agreement and travel within Europe. For those who may want to
                  become more familiar with the differences between the European Union, the
                  Schengen Zone, and the Euro Zone, you can check out these links:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurozone

                  Hope these help.