RE: [S-R] Sorting thru the information

  • Dorothy L Fitts
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 19 6:38 PM
      That would make sense to me as I find that the census takers write what they
      think they heard. Now I am wondering if the date of birth was not 1878 as
      was calculated from his age on the census for 1910, 1920 and 1930. All of
      you folks are so helpful. I really appreciate all your answers.
      Dorothy

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 20 5:09 AM
        >>> Now I am wondering if the date of birth was not 1878 as
        was calculated from his age on the census for 1910, 1920 and 1930. <<<

        This Ellis Island listing could be your Michael/Mihaly Palko:
        PALKO, MIHALY SZTARINA 24 1878 1902

        He was headed for Passaic. The next two passengers on the ship's
        manifest might have been travelling together with Mihaly Palko. The
        clue is that they are from Legnava, Slovakia, formerly Lagnó (also
        called Hosszúvágás), Sáros, Hungary. Legnava is one village northeast
        of Starina.

        That puts your Mihaly Palko in Saris Magye and NOT Zemplen Megye =
        county.

        NEXT STEP: Hungarian Census and Church records

        CENTER (FHC)
        www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
        (zomreli).

        VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census
        Sztarina (Starina) Film #2162321 Item 4

        GC Church Records:
        LDS has (very limited) Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
        marriages and deaths for Legnava, Slovakia, formerly Lagnó (also
        called Hosszúvágás), Sáros, Hungary. Includes affiliated town of
        Starina, Slovakia, formerly Sztarina, Sáros, Hungary.

        Krsty 1845-1866 Úmrtia 1845-1868 Krsty 1866-1867 Uzavreté manželstvá
        1845-1867 Krsty 1867-1868 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793894 Item 2 ]

        Krsty 1873-1894 Uzavreté manželstvá 1873-1896 Úmrtia 1873-1894
        Druhopisy Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1875-1895 - FHL INTL
        Film [ 1792640 Items 3-4 ]

        go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
        will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

        Happy squinting.
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 20 5:17 AM
          >>> The clue is that they are from Legnava, Slovakia, formerly Lagnó
          (also called Hosszúvágás), Sáros, Hungary. Legnava is one village
          northeast of Starina. <<<

          1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
          The old Hungarian map can be found at:
          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

          Look in the upper left corner, brown area. Find Hosszuvagas and
          Popradofalu. Those are your villages on the 1910 Hungarian may for
          Saros Megye.

          CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get
          a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
          likely find in church records.
        • Dorothy L Fitts
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 20 8:10 AM
            Tankls for the info. Will see if the local LDS can do that for me. They have
            a reading room here in town.

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 20 10:40 AM
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy L Fitts" <dfitts22@...>

              ROOTS@yahoogroups.com]On

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 20 10:44 AM
                >>> Will see if the local LDS can do that for me. They have a reading
                room here in town. <<<

                The Latter Day Saintes (Mormon) Family History Center is operated by
                volunteers who will PLACE A FILM ORDER for you. When the film(s)
                arrive, they will call you know and you will then reserve a film reader
                and do your own research. They DO NOT do the work for you.

                Go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family History Center
                (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to go there
                in person to order the film(s).
              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 20 12:03 PM
                  Most of the Slovaks in Passaic were from Saros and Spis.
                  Noreen

                  This Ellis Island listing could be your Michael/Mihaly Palko:
                  PALKO, MIHALY SZTARINA 24 1878 1902

                  He was headed for Passaic. The next two passengers on the ship's
                  manifest might have been travelling together with Mihaly Palko. The
                  clue is that they are from Legnava, Slovakia, formerly Lagnó (also
                  called Hosszúvágás), Sáros, Hungary. Legnava is one village northeast
                  of Starina.

                  2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)