Looking for two towns

  • d22fitts
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 18, 2008
      Hello,

      I have been looking for a Michael Palko. He may have been born in
      Starina, Hungary but most likely now in Slovakia. One record I found
      it was listed as Starnis or Staruis but the writing was not very
      clear. Does anyone think that it could likely be Starina?

      His wife Anna (maiden name unknown) was born in Luthensina acording to
      Ancestry's interpritation of the handwriting. I have not found that
      place either. Can anyone point me to the locations.

      All of this is an atempt to locate Julia Palko's parents. She was born
      in Szurte which is now just over the eastern boarder into Ukraine.

      Thanks so much for any help you might be able to give.
      Dorothy
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 18, 2008
        It is most likely Starina, Slovakia. It's a fairly unique name. Starina
        was dis-incorporated in 1980 to clear the way for a public drinking water
        reservoir. See http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/SL_Starina.htm
        You could inspect records at the family history center to assert the
        family's origin.

        "Luthensina" is clearly a mis-spelling. It may be in Ukraine. What is the
        source of the data? You mention "Ancestry" but that covers millions of
        records.
        The spelling of any record transcribed must be suspect. Can we please view
        the original document?

        What was the religion, language and/or ethnicity of the subjects?
        Where/what country were they married in? Approximate year of marriage and
        birth, please. These are all important clues.

        Regards,

        Bill Tarkulich

        I have been looking for a Michael Palko. He may have been born in
        Starina, Hungary but most likely now in Slovakia. One record I found
        it was listed as Starnis or Staruis but the writing was not very
        clear. Does anyone think that it could likely be Starina?

        His wife Anna (maiden name unknown) was born in Luthensina acording to
        Ancestry's interpritation of the handwriting. I have not found that
        place either. Can anyone point me to the locations.

        All of this is an atempt to locate Julia Palko's parents. She was born
        in Szurte which is now just over the eastern boarder into Ukraine.

        Thanks so much for any help you might be able to give.
        Dorothy

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 18, 2008
          Hi Dorothy -

          I have a listing in the Slovak Pride data base for a
          Palko in Starina; at first i thought of Starina
          ZEMPLIN that is now under water in far northeastern
          Slovakia but in the data base I realized there is a
          second Starina SARIS and there is a Palko listed.

          helene

          --- d22fitts <dfitts22@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I have been looking for a Michael Palko. He may have
          > been born in
          > Starina, Hungary but most likely now in Slovakia.
          > One record I found
          > it was listed as Starnis or Staruis but the writing
          > was not very
          > clear. Does anyone think that it could likely be
          > Starina?
          >
          > His wife Anna (maiden name unknown) was born in
          > Luthensina acording to
          > Ancestry's interpritation of the handwriting. I have
          > not found that
          > place either. Can anyone point me to the locations.
          >
          > All of this is an atempt to locate Julia Palko's
          > parents. She was born
          > in Szurte which is now just over the eastern boarder
          > into Ukraine.
          >
          > Thanks so much for any help you might be able to
          > give.
          > Dorothy

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Gordon Grening
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 19, 2008
            Dorothy,

            I don't have a Michael Palko in my files but do have a Ersebet Palko who married my great-great-grandfather Johann Kotulic in Sedlice, Saris, Slovakia.

            Ersebet had two sisters Barbara and Maria. Their parents were Joannes Palko and Barbara Matijko. The Kotulic family was Greek Catholic and belong to the Rushyn (sp) clan.

            I see that Helene posted a reply that there was a Starina in Saris county. Does anyone know how close Starina is to Sedlice?

            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 19, 2008
              Not close at all.
              Vladimir

              _____

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 19, 2008
                Hello Helene,

                This is a round about way of trying to trace my grandmother. She was born in
                Szurte which is now in Ukraine. Her maiden name was Julia Palko. Then I met
                a brick wall. Later I found a likely sister as Anna. She married John Sima.
                I found this by tracinbg back Al Sima, the baseball player and getting his
                Social Security record which listed is parents. Another brick wall.

                My Dad told me that the John Palko that lived in Spring Valley, Ramapo
                Township, Rockland County, NY was a cousin. So I went to Ancestry.com and
                found that his cousin's father was:
                Michael Palko who was born in 1878 in Sarina, Slovakia. (One listing said
                Hungary) Language listed as Slovak
                From the Record of citizenship at Ancestry.com I found he became a citizen
                in 1902
                Michael was married to Anna, maiden name unknown, His age 26 so they were
                married in 1898.

                Anna is listed as being born in 1881 in Luthensina by the Ancestry.com
                staff. Probably wrong as the original is so hard to read.
                Anna became a citizen in 1903 from records on Ancestry.com
                Anna is also listed as speaking Slovak
                The family was Greek Orthodox when they came to the US I think, as that is
                what the rest of the family was.

                My grandfather was born in Osturna, Slovakia so I was able to trace his
                family back.

                I felt if I could find Michael Palko and find his father or brothers I might
                be able to tie some things together. I found the web site showing Starina.
                Nothing that seemed to match as far as I could tell. Interestingly enough.
                Hlpala and Varga are names that also lived in Spring Valley, NY.

                Does any of this match anything you see/?
                Thanks for the response,

                --- d22fitts <dfitts22@...> wrote:

                > Hello,
                >
                > I have been looking for a Michael Palko. He may have
                > been born in
                > Starina, Hungary but most likely now in Slovakia.
                > One record I found
                > it was listed as Starnis or Staruis but the writing
                > was not very
                > clear. Does anyone think that it could likely be
                > Starina?
                >
                > His wife Anna (maiden name unknown) was born in
                > Luthensina acording to
                > Ancestry's interpritation of the handwriting. I have
                > not found that
                > place either. Can anyone point me to the locations.
                >
                > All of this is an atempt to locate Julia Palko's
                > parents. She was born
                > in Szurte which is now just over the eastern boarder
                > into Ukraine.
                >
                > Thanks so much for any help you might be able to
                > give.
                > Dorothy

                Be a better friend, newshound, and

              • johnqadam
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 19, 2008
                  >>> trying to trace my grandmother. She was born in
                  Szurte which is now in Ukraine.Her maiden name was Julia Palko <<<

                  >>> My Dad told me that the John Palko . . . So I went to
                  Ancestry.com and found that his cousin's father was: Michael Palko
                  who was born in 1878 in Sarina, Slovakia. <<< (Presumably Starina)<<<

                  >>> My grandfather was born in Osturna, Slovakia so I was able to
                  trace his family back.<<<

                  WHERE did GM and GF marry? If (the former) Hungary, Starina, Saris
                  Megye, is a WORLD away. How certain are you of Szurte/Szurthe, Ung
                  Megye = county as birthplace of GM. This is now shown as Sjurte,
                  Ukraine, 8 km north of C'op, Ukraine, and 12 km southeast of Velke
                  Kapusany, Slovakia.

                  Starina, Zemplen Megye = county was a lot closer to Szurte/Szurthe,
                  Ung Megye = county but still quite far away. Potential for movement
                  between the two villages was by road and rail.

                  Check this reference for Starina, Zemplen
                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/SL_Starina.htm

                  It might be worth having a look at Starina, Zemplen church records at
                  LDS/FHC.

                  Krsty 1812-1821 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793908 Item 5 ]

                  Krsty 1821-1834 Uzavreté manželstvá 1812-1834 Úmrtia 1812-1832 Krsty
                  1834-1851 Úmrtia 1851 Uzavreté manželstvá 1834-1851 Úmrtia 1834-1850
                  Krsty 1853-1863 Uzavreté manželstvá 1853-1864 Úmrtia 1852-1866 Krsty
                  1864-1876 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793909 ]

                  Krsty 1876-1896 . Druhopisy: Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1882-
                  1895 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793910 Items 1-2 ]

                  The 1869 Hungarian Census for Starina, Zemplen is Film #719793

                  Having said all of that, Starina, Saros is closer to Osturna, Szepes
                  magye.
                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 19, 2008
                    Starina is 11.5km on a road that begins in Plavnica, which is 8km east of Stara Lubovna. Sedlice is 11km west of the highway between Kocise and Presov. I am very familiar with the area and roads. Presov to Plavnica is about 33 miles. Plavnica to Starina about 7 miles. And it about 15 miles from Sedlice to Presov. So about 55 miles via road from Sedlice to Starina.
                    Michael Mojher

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 19, 2008
                      Thank you so much for the info. They married in the US. They both came to
                      NYC She going to her cousin Anna Savislo at West ? Street, NY City. I have
                      since found that I may have gotten the wrong Michael Palko. The one I need
                      may have been born in Harine, SLK. I was surprised to learn that Palko ia a
                      rather common name even in the USA.
                      Julia, I am quite sure was born in Szurte as that is written very clearly on
                      the Census records that I found at Ancestry.com

                      Thanks so much for your help and answer.
                      Dorothy

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 19, 2008
                        Hello Helene,
                        I may have the wrong town as I found that there were two Michael Palkos. It
                        seems more than likely that the one I need is the Michael born in Harine,
                        SLK

                        Thank you, Dorothy

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 19, 2008
                          >>> I have since found that I may have gotten the wrong Michael Palko.
                          The one I need may have been born in Harine, SLK. <<<

                          There is no such place. It looks vaguely like Starina. What is the
                          ORIGINAL source document for this information?

                          About what year was Michael/Michal/Mihaly Palko born?

                          It is important to note that they met and married in New York (not
                          Hungary). Slovakia did not exist at that time.
                        • Dorothy L Fitts
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 19, 2008
                            That would make sense to me as I find that the census takers write what they
                            think they heard. Now I am wondering if the date of birth was not 1878 as
                            was calculated from his age on the census for 1910, 1920 and 1930. All of
                            you folks are so helpful. I really appreciate all your answers.
                            Dorothy

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 20, 2008
                              >>> Now I am wondering if the date of birth was not 1878 as
                              was calculated from his age on the census for 1910, 1920 and 1930. <<<

                              This Ellis Island listing could be your Michael/Mihaly Palko:
                              PALKO, MIHALY SZTARINA 24 1878 1902

                              He was headed for Passaic. The next two passengers on the ship's
                              manifest might have been travelling together with Mihaly Palko. The
                              clue is that they are from Legnava, Slovakia, formerly Lagnó (also
                              called Hosszúvágás), Sáros, Hungary. Legnava is one village northeast
                              of Starina.

                              That puts your Mihaly Palko in Saris Magye and NOT Zemplen Megye =
                              county.

                              NEXT STEP: Hungarian Census and Church records

                              CENTER (FHC)
                              www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church
                              (zomreli).

                              VERY INFORMATIVE 1869 Hungarian Census
                              Sztarina (Starina) Film #2162321 Item 4

                              GC Church Records:
                              LDS has (very limited) Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms,
                              marriages and deaths for Legnava, Slovakia, formerly Lagnó (also
                              called Hosszúvágás), Sáros, Hungary. Includes affiliated town of
                              Starina, Slovakia, formerly Sztarina, Sáros, Hungary.

                              Krsty 1845-1866 Úmrtia 1845-1868 Krsty 1866-1867 Uzavreté manželstvá
                              1845-1867 Krsty 1867-1868 - FHL INTL Film [ 1793894 Item 2 ]

                              Krsty 1873-1894 Uzavreté manželstvá 1873-1896 Úmrtia 1873-1894
                              Druhopisy Krsty, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtia 1875-1895 - FHL INTL
                              Film [ 1792640 Items 3-4 ]

                              go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
                              will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

                              Happy squinting.
                            • johnqadam
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 20, 2008
                                >>> The clue is that they are from Legnava, Slovakia, formerly Lagnó
                                (also called Hosszúvágás), Sáros, Hungary. Legnava is one village
                                northeast of Starina. <<<

                                1910 HUNGARIAN MAP
                                The old Hungarian map can be found at:
                                http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/saros.jpg

                                Look in the upper left corner, brown area. Find Hosszuvagas and
                                Popradofalu. Those are your villages on the 1910 Hungarian may for
                                Saros Megye.

                                CUT and PRINT the relevant section of the map. Otherwise, you just get
                                a corner. This map uses the Hungarian village names that you will
                                likely find in church records.
                              • Dorothy L Fitts
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 20, 2008
                                  Tankls for the info. Will see if the local LDS can do that for me. They have
                                  a reading room here in town.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 20, 2008
                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy L Fitts" <dfitts22@...>

                                    ROOTS@yahoogroups.com]On

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 20, 2008
                                      >>> Will see if the local LDS can do that for me. They have a reading
                                      room here in town. <<<

                                      The Latter Day Saintes (Mormon) Family History Center is operated by
                                      volunteers who will PLACE A FILM ORDER for you. When the film(s)
                                      arrive, they will call you know and you will then reserve a film reader
                                      and do your own research. They DO NOT do the work for you.

                                      Go to the LDS web site to locate your nearest Family History Center
                                      (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need to go there
                                      in person to order the film(s).
                                    • nhasior@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 20, 2008
                                        Most of the Slovaks in Passaic were from Saros and Spis.
                                        Noreen

                                        This Ellis Island listing could be your Michael/Mihaly Palko:
                                        PALKO, MIHALY SZTARINA 24 1878 1902

                                        He was headed for Passaic. The next two passengers on the ship's
                                        manifest might have been travelling together with Mihaly Palko. The
                                        clue is that they are from Legnava, Slovakia, formerly Lagnó (also
                                        called Hosszúvágás), Sáros, Hungary. Legnava is one village northeast
                                        of Starina.

                                        2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)