Searching for Palko and Savislo

  • Dorothy L Fitts
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11 11:43 AM
      Hello:

      I am new to the group. I have been gradually piecing together my paternal
      grandparents genealogy. I have found one of the families in Osturna,
      Slovakia After looking at what you are doing and that it is a genealogy
      group I am so glad that I joined. Now I am looking for Julia Palko who was
      born in Szurte, Ung Megye, at that time it may have been in Hungary. I
      finally found the village listed on the following web site:
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~oldhungaryvillages/Kisgejocz/
      It was 3 miles from Szurte. It was also south of Ungvar which I believe is
      now Uzhorod. Is this correct? There are Palkos listed on the above web site.
      (I thought Palko might be an uncommon name but at least it isn't Smith or
      Jones.) If you look at the names on that web site it seems that Palko is
      listed as the given name. I read somewhere that they put the family name
      first. Is this true?

      Szurte was in Czechoslovakia when Julia came to the US in 1902. Ann Savislo
      was a cousin that she came to in New York City. Can someone tell me, now
      that the village is in Ukraine, has the name changed. I see Strumkovka. Does
      anyone know if it is the same place?

      Thank you for any help you may be able to give me. This quest has bee like
      putting together a jig saw puzzle.
      Dorothy
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11 1:19 PM
        Dear Dorothy,

        Welcome to the group.

        You can find these villages on the old map of Ung county at
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/ung.jpg. Szurte is in Nagykapos
        district and Kisgejocz is in Ungvar district. Yes, these villages are quite
        close together.

        It seems that Ukraine is beginning to open its records for LDS microfilming,
        though it may take a while before they become available.

        It would appear that neither Kisgejocz nor Szurte had churches of their own.
        For Kisgejocz, Roman Catholic records would be found in Kis-Rat; Greek
        Catholic ones in Kereknye. For Szurte, the Roman Catholic records likewise
        would be with Kis-Rat, while the Greek Catholic ones are with Palagy.

        You are also correct that in Hungarian the surname is placed first. Thus,
        Palko Ferenc is Frank Palko. You see this consistently in that list, with
        given names Istvan, Gyorgy, etc.

        We all wish you the best in your search.

        Janet

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11 1:56 PM
          Dorothy,
          In my road atlas of Slovakia your listed village, Szurte, is Sjurte, Ukraine. It is just off Highway E573/M06 14.5 km southwest of Uzhorod (Ungvar) on the way to Cop. Sjurte is just 5 km east of the Slovakia/Ukraine border.
          After WWII the Ukraine was given territory that part of Czechoslovakia. Uzhorod and Sjurte were two former Czechoslovkia cities given to the Ukraine.
          Michael Mojher

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11 8:41 PM
            Thanks for the info