Re: [S-R] I meant Cukalovce!

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vicky" <hcross888@...> wrote:

      > Do you know how to go about getting a birth certificate from the
      town?
      > Do I send a certain amount of money with a written request?

      I can only speak for Budkovce and my recent experience. Twenty look
      ups in the civic records were specified in Slovak (only) and the cost
      was SKK 50 per name. I provided all the known information about each
      individual in an Excel spreadsheet format. The recording secretary
      was too busy to handle the task while I was present and so the
      project was handled later. I am about to receive the results via e-
      mail from a local cousin. I left the SKK 1,000 payment while I was in
      Slovakia.

      I would suggest that you use the following request form as a guide.

      WRITING FOR SLOVAK RECORDS
      For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
      Click on SEARCH
      Click on RESEARCH HELPS
      Click on the letter "C"
      Scroll to the bottom of the page
      Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing Guide
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
        why do you need a certificate? Won't the information itself suffice?
        Getting an official town document is much more expensive and slower
        process.

        In any event, write to village mayor. Explain your request and your
        relationship to the individual (only direct descendants is the privacy law
        privilege.)
        Some mayors will respond, some may not. If not, then you'll need someone
        to call and sort it out that way. While the laws may be consistent, not
        every mayor responds similarly.

        Regards,
        Bill

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 10, 2008
          Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

          Vicky