Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Slovakian surname spelling

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
      Hi Joy

      I really do not know if any of the Petrick's went to PA. What I do know is
      the following:

      Gyorgy Petrik came to NYC in 1899. He was 18 and he said he was from Kassa
      Hamor, Autria-Hungary (today it is Kosice, Slovakia). His American name
      became George J. Petrick (I have a hunch that the J is for Jozef). He
      married Zofie Miko and had 3 children. Edward Paul, George Edward and
      Milton. He was a printer. I do not know names of parents or siblings, but
      think that Jana Petrika might have been his brother. Wife Sofie died in New
      Jersey in 1956, he died in 1959 also in New Jersey. My father, George Edward
      died in 1960. Edward Paul had no children and died in 1951. Milton had at
      least 3, lived in Illinois, but we lost contact with him and his family when
      my mother moved us to Brazil right after my father's death; I know he died in
      1980 as I saw his grave at Holy Trinity in Hopelawn New Jersey.

      So, that is what I know about the Petricks. I am waiting for death
      certificates and George and Sofie's marriage certificate. I am terribly
      curious about Jana Petrika, because of the spelling of the last name and
      because of his death announcement in a 1922 NYC Slovak language newspaper;
      one of the persons signing the announcement was Jozef Petrik; maybe Jozef was
      George J. Petrick, meaning that Jana was my great uncle.

      If you think that there is some connection please do what you need to do! :)

      Regards.
      Kathi-Raisa Petrick
      Cockeysville, MD
    • kathiraisa@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
        Hello Ray

        Thank you so much for your explanation! It is extremely helpful. It seems
        that Slovak grammar functions in many aspects like Finnish grammar (my
        mother's side is Finnish).

        Thank you once again!
        Regards,
        Kathi-Raisa Petrick