Re: [S-R] overwhelmed by LDS research!

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
      Hi Vicky,

      As Bill T. mentioned try to get a ditigal camera and take pictures. I always take my camera just in case the copier is down. I use to look at the films here in the small mountain town that we live in. This LDS doesnt have anyway of copying the films so I started bringing my camera with me as suggested by a member a few years ago and it worked great. Sometimes I could get better pictures than the copier would do. I now drive 40 miles to view my films where there is a larger LDS Library and can now copy the films which I just love. I still do bring my camera just in case!

      Good luck with your research

      June

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
        Do you know how to go about getting a birth certificate from the town?
        Do I send a certain amount of money with a written request?
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vicky" <hcross888@...> wrote:

          > Do you know how to go about getting a birth certificate from the
          town?
          > Do I send a certain amount of money with a written request?

          I can only speak for Budkovce and my recent experience. Twenty look
          ups in the civic records were specified in Slovak (only) and the cost
          was SKK 50 per name. I provided all the known information about each
          individual in an Excel spreadsheet format. The recording secretary
          was too busy to handle the task while I was present and so the
          project was handled later. I am about to receive the results via e-
          mail from a local cousin. I left the SKK 1,000 payment while I was in
          Slovakia.

          I would suggest that you use the following request form as a guide.

          WRITING FOR SLOVAK RECORDS
          For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
          Click on SEARCH
          Click on RESEARCH HELPS
          Click on the letter "C"
          Scroll to the bottom of the page
          Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing Guide
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
            why do you need a certificate? Won't the information itself suffice?
            Getting an official town document is much more expensive and slower
            process.

            In any event, write to village mayor. Explain your request and your
            relationship to the individual (only direct descendants is the privacy law
            privilege.)
            Some mayors will respond, some may not. If not, then you'll need someone
            to call and sort it out that way. While the laws may be consistent, not
            every mayor responds similarly.

            Regards,
            Bill

            --
            Bill Tarkulich
            http://www.iabsi.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 10, 2008
              Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

              Vicky