Re: [S-R] I meant Cukalovce!

  • Vicky
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
      Thanks Bill!
      Then do you have any idea where I could get a birth record for 1903?

      <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

      > Oh! That's entirely different
      > Old name Csukahaza:
      > In 1910
      > 10 magyar, 14 German, 384 ruthenians
      > 393gk, 15 jews.
      >
      > The "russian" you see is actually Church Slavonic, using the
      Cyrillic
      > alphabet. I'm sure you see it for the oldest records. It was
      customarily
      > used in Greek Catholic Churches. As a general rule, most GC church
      records
      > are often in Magyar (1800s), Slovak (late 1800s) and Church
      Slavonic (1700s
      > and earlier). Church Slavonic is the hardest - save that for
      last! I've
      > never seen German in the GC register, but nothing surprises me.
      >
      > My archives cross reference says there are B, M and D records 1882-
      1895. It
      > doesn't even suggest that any records are stored elsewhere. That's
      not much
      > at all. They might be somewhere else, like the Sat. Archives in
      Hungary, or
      > even perhaps still at the church.
      >
      > Or maybe they would be at Nova /Stara Lubovna. But that church is
      Roman C.
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
        From the town office.

        --
        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
          Hi Vicky,

          As Bill T. mentioned try to get a ditigal camera and take pictures. I always take my camera just in case the copier is down. I use to look at the films here in the small mountain town that we live in. This LDS doesnt have anyway of copying the films so I started bringing my camera with me as suggested by a member a few years ago and it worked great. Sometimes I could get better pictures than the copier would do. I now drive 40 miles to view my films where there is a larger LDS Library and can now copy the films which I just love. I still do bring my camera just in case!

          Good luck with your research

          June

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
            Do you know how to go about getting a birth certificate from the town?
            Do I send a certain amount of money with a written request?
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vicky" <hcross888@...> wrote:

              > Do you know how to go about getting a birth certificate from the
              town?
              > Do I send a certain amount of money with a written request?

              I can only speak for Budkovce and my recent experience. Twenty look
              ups in the civic records were specified in Slovak (only) and the cost
              was SKK 50 per name. I provided all the known information about each
              individual in an Excel spreadsheet format. The recording secretary
              was too busy to handle the task while I was present and so the
              project was handled later. I am about to receive the results via e-
              mail from a local cousin. I left the SKK 1,000 payment while I was in
              Slovakia.

              I would suggest that you use the following request form as a guide.

              WRITING FOR SLOVAK RECORDS
              For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
              Click on SEARCH
              Click on RESEARCH HELPS
              Click on the letter "C"
              Scroll to the bottom of the page
              Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing Guide
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
                why do you need a certificate? Won't the information itself suffice?
                Getting an official town document is much more expensive and slower
                process.

                In any event, write to village mayor. Explain your request and your
                relationship to the individual (only direct descendants is the privacy law
                privilege.)
                Some mayors will respond, some may not. If not, then you'll need someone
                to call and sort it out that way. While the laws may be consistent, not
                every mayor responds similarly.

                Regards,
                Bill

                --
                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 10, 2008
                  Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

                  Vicky