Re: [S-R] Klaczan

  • gklodzen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 6, 2008
      Janet, Margo, Vladimir, John and All,

      Many thanks for this recent information which may open yet another door into
      the family past, and which I would likely never have known had I not been a
      member of this group of "generous with their knowledge" family history
      researchers like yourselves. You can be sure that I will be ordering the relevant
      microfilm from the Family History Center.

      As someone said, 'Genealogy becomes rather addictive. No sooner do you find
      one ancestor but you start looking for another even further back in time.' So
      true. But even better then finding just that ancestor is the historical
      perspective that unfolds during the search, the added knowledge of the time and
      place in which the ancestor lived, thus some of which he or she may have
      personally experienced. As one who never knew his grandparents, this research
      odyssey has taught me much about them, ...and myself.

      Many thanks for your help along the way,
      Eugene Klodzen

      In a message dated 2/5/2008 10:04:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      kozlay@... writes:

      For Eugene Klodzen, Vladimir's information looks very significant. The old
      ELTE map of Trencsen megye shows that Rajec(z) is right next to Klacsan, now
      Klace SK. Old Hungarian spellings also include Kleczen and Kalacsany. Roman
      Catholic church records for Klacsan are with Rajec, which go back all the
      way to 1674.

      Despite the similarity in names, there would appear to be no relation
      between the village of Klacsano near Munkacs and Klacsan in Trencsen.

      Janet

      <<Eugene, Vladimir will probably expand on this reply because he is the
      expert. In the meantime, the Urbars are the old feudal tax records which list the
      serf taxpayers. The records from 1770ish are available on microfilm from the
      Family History Centers. In the list of microfilms, they are Urberi tabellak
      1767-1773. The documents are in archaic Slovak and Latin.

      Also, Richard Marsina and Michal Kusik wrote Urbare feudalnych pastiev na
      Slovensku (1959). Vol. 1 deals with the 16th century and Vol. 2 with the 17th
      century. I ordered this on interlibrary loan at my local public library. The
      information presented varies from year to year.

      Rajec near Zilina has a nice little restaurant. But it is also very near
      Rajec Teplice, my favorite spa in all Slovakia. The old building is very ornate.
      There is live music and dancing on summer evenings. And a small bar next to
      the pool serves slivovce.>>

      Margo

      48)

    • gklodzen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 7, 2008
        Janet, Vladimir and All,

        To add a little more information with regard to our recent discussion of
        villages Rajecz, Klacsan and Kladzan:

        In searching through the old Hungarian map, circa 1910:

        _http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg_
        (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg)

        I've found the old village of Kladzan to be in Zemplin County at these
        coordinates:

        21 degrees, 45 minutes, & 48 degrees, 45 minutes (hope that's the right
        terminology)

        As village Kladzan was considerably closer to present day Vinne then was
        village Klaczan (located in Trencen County) I'm speculating now that perhaps my
        KLADZAN ancestors found in Vinne may have had their origins in village
        Kladzan rather then the more distant village Klacsan. And, as the spelling of
        both the ancestral surname and the village are identical, it seems a likely
        possibility.

        So, next up will be a search of records (church and others) covering years
        prior to 1812, the year of the earliest KLADZAN found in Vinne. Any thoughts
        or suggestions would, as always, be much appreciated.

        Many thanks,
        Eugene Klodzen (researching KLADZAN, PIKULA, HLADKY, LABADA)

        48)