Re: [S-R] overwhelmed by LDS research!

  • J Michutka
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
      On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:33 PM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

      > It takes the first sitting just to get your bearings.

      Oh, yeah!

      Probably everyone has their tricks for working with a film and
      keeping track of things. For each village film, I have a paper that
      has the village name and film numbers and on each film the order of
      the records, eg Village A, film #1234567, baptisms 1801-1825,
      confirmations 1813, marriages 1811-1836, confirmations 1836, deaths
      1800-1845; film #1234568, baptisms <etc>.

      On another paper I make a chart that has village names down the side,
      and then across the top, the words births, marriages, deaths,
      confirmations. Only about 4 villages down the side, because I want
      big squares to write in. As I hopscotch (sometimes) through the
      records, I note which years I've read through line-by-line; so in the
      square for village A, baptisms, I might have written "1798-1805"
      "1836" "1875-1898". It doesn't mean that I won't revisit years that
      I've read through, but I can't tell you how many times I've asked
      myself "did I ever go through that year?" and I just have to check my
      paper. It also tells me which years still need a read-through.

      I also keep a couple of different kinds of research logs; but the
      above are what I do to keep track of my microfilm work in a very
      general way.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Vicky
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
        Thanks Bill!
        Then do you have any idea where I could get a birth record for 1903?

        <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

        > Oh! That's entirely different
        > Old name Csukahaza:
        > In 1910
        > 10 magyar, 14 German, 384 ruthenians
        > 393gk, 15 jews.
        >
        > The "russian" you see is actually Church Slavonic, using the
        Cyrillic
        > alphabet. I'm sure you see it for the oldest records. It was
        customarily
        > used in Greek Catholic Churches. As a general rule, most GC church
        records
        > are often in Magyar (1800s), Slovak (late 1800s) and Church
        Slavonic (1700s
        > and earlier). Church Slavonic is the hardest - save that for
        last! I've
        > never seen German in the GC register, but nothing surprises me.
        >
        > My archives cross reference says there are B, M and D records 1882-
        1895. It
        > doesn't even suggest that any records are stored elsewhere. That's
        not much
        > at all. They might be somewhere else, like the Sat. Archives in
        Hungary, or
        > even perhaps still at the church.
        >
        > Or maybe they would be at Nova /Stara Lubovna. But that church is
        Roman C.
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
          From the town office.

          --
          Bill Tarkulich
          http://www.iabsi.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
            Hi Vicky,

            As Bill T. mentioned try to get a ditigal camera and take pictures. I always take my camera just in case the copier is down. I use to look at the films here in the small mountain town that we live in. This LDS doesnt have anyway of copying the films so I started bringing my camera with me as suggested by a member a few years ago and it worked great. Sometimes I could get better pictures than the copier would do. I now drive 40 miles to view my films where there is a larger LDS Library and can now copy the films which I just love. I still do bring my camera just in case!

            Good luck with your research

            June

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
              Do you know how to go about getting a birth certificate from the town?
              Do I send a certain amount of money with a written request?
            • johnqadam
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vicky" <hcross888@...> wrote:

                > Do you know how to go about getting a birth certificate from the
                town?
                > Do I send a certain amount of money with a written request?

                I can only speak for Budkovce and my recent experience. Twenty look
                ups in the civic records were specified in Slovak (only) and the cost
                was SKK 50 per name. I provided all the known information about each
                individual in an Excel spreadsheet format. The recording secretary
                was too busy to handle the task while I was present and so the
                project was handled later. I am about to receive the results via e-
                mail from a local cousin. I left the SKK 1,000 payment while I was in
                Slovakia.

                I would suggest that you use the following request form as a guide.

                WRITING FOR SLOVAK RECORDS
                For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
                Click on SEARCH
                Click on RESEARCH HELPS
                Click on the letter "C"
                Scroll to the bottom of the page
                Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing Guide
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
                  why do you need a certificate? Won't the information itself suffice?
                  Getting an official town document is much more expensive and slower
                  process.

                  In any event, write to village mayor. Explain your request and your
                  relationship to the individual (only direct descendants is the privacy law
                  privilege.)
                  Some mayors will respond, some may not. If not, then you'll need someone
                  to call and sort it out that way. While the laws may be consistent, not
                  every mayor responds similarly.

                  Regards,
                  Bill

                  --
                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 10, 2008
                    Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

                    Vicky