overwhelmed by LDS research!

  • Vicky
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
      Finally my microfish came at the LDS family center. It was the area
      of Kolackov, where my grandmother came from. My head is spinning, and
      I am confused. There doesn't seem to be an order to the records, and
      records were written in Latin, Hungarian, Russian and even German. I
      found lots of death records, but not birth records. The strange part
      is that one section appeared to have Jewish records as they were
      German names and German headings. Could that area have had a Jewish
      temple? To make things worse, the copier is broken and they won't let
      me take the tape to be copied.
    • Vicky
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
        I meant the Cukalovce area rather than the one I said.
      • J Michutka
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
          Are they films no. 1792026 and 1792027? According to the LDS
          online catalog for Cukalovce, those films have only death records. I
          just looked real quick, but it doesn't look like there is any other
          film for that town. Maybe they were recorded in another parish's
          records, maybe a neighboring town?

          You could check someplace like jewishgen.org to see if there was a
          Jewish population in the area.

          As far as I know, they will never let you remove the film from the
          premises. It's frustrating when the copier isn't working....seems to
          happen all too often, when there isn't a big budget for equipment.

          Julie Michutka
          jmm@...

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
            It takes the first sitting just to get your bearings. You're doing the
            right thing first, figuring out what is on the film.
            Is this the film you have?

            Film # 1739456 Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Kolačkov (L'ubovňa
            Stará) (Main Author)
            Krsty 1743-1900 Uzavreté manželstvá 1742-1912 Úmrtia 1742-1912 Birmovaní
            1789, 1824, 1921
            Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and
            confirmations for Kolačkov, Slovensko, Czechoslovakia, formerly known as
            Kolacskó (or Kalács), Szepes, Hungary. Text in Latin.

            The above describes Roman Catholic christening, marriage, death and
            confirmation records.

            The records may be disorganized. In my work, a certain language was used
            for each period of time. That is usually the "official" or sanctioned
            language will be found for all sacraments for a given period of time. It
            very well could change back and forth. It's doubtful you have Russian in
            there, I would like to see what you are looking at. Latin was the primary
            language of the Catholics, but depending on the era, Magyar ("Hungarian")
            would also be used.

            If they are not organized, you'll have to make up your own "index" of the
            document sequences. Then and only then should you begin to look at record
            detail (I know you're excited to look for your names!)

            I am not surprised that you might find material from other faiths in the
            same film. The trick is to figure out if it's part of the Roman Catholic's
            records, or others mixed it. I wouldn't be so quick to assume Jewish
            records just because the language was Jewish. Ethnic germans lived in our
            villages, partly for governance reasons, sometimes just because Germans
            chose to settle in these village. In 1910, in the village of "Kalacs",
            there were 4 magyar, 13 german and 539 slovaks. Of those: 549 roman
            catholic and 16 Jews.

            I have also seen years pages jumbled about - as if they "dropped the pages"
            and hastily gathered them without checking order.

            Using John Jasso's reference is a handy assist.
            http://www.bmi.net/~latin/

            When will they get their copier fixed? Do you have a digital camera or can
            you borrow one? Oftentimes you can take a digital picture from the image
            projected on the reader. Then you could study them at home and share them
            with the group and we could give our opinion.

            Hope this helps.

            Good Luck,

            Bill

            Finally my microfish came at the LDS family center. It was the area
            of Kolackov, where my grandmother came from. My head is spinning, and
            I am confused. There doesn't seem to be an order to the records, and
            records were written in Latin, Hungarian, Russian and even German. I
            found lots of death records, but not birth records. The strange part
            is that one section appeared to have Jewish records as they were
            German names and German headings. Could that area have had a Jewish
            temple? To make things worse, the copier is broken and they won't let
            me take the tape to be copied.

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
              Oh! That's entirely different
              Old name Csukahaza:
              In 1910
              10 magyar, 14 German, 384 ruthenians
              393gk, 15 jews.

              The "russian" you see is actually Church Slavonic, using the Cyrillic
              alphabet. I'm sure you see it for the oldest records. It was customarily
              used in Greek Catholic Churches. As a general rule, most GC church records
              are often in Magyar (1800s), Slovak (late 1800s) and Church Slavonic (1700s
              and earlier). Church Slavonic is the hardest - save that for last! I've
              never seen German in the GC register, but nothing surprises me.

              My archives cross reference says there are B, M and D records 1882-1895. It
              doesn't even suggest that any records are stored elsewhere. That's not much
              at all. They might be somewhere else, like the Sat. Archives in Hungary, or
              even perhaps still at the church.

              Or maybe they would be at Nova /Stara Lubovna. But that church is Roman C.
              only, so probably not...

              Regards,

              Bill

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                Bill, what source do you use for detailed info like this???

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...

                On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:45 PM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

                > Oh! That's entirely different
                > Old name Csukahaza:
                > In 1910
                > 10 magyar, 14 German, 384 ruthenians
                > 393gk, 15 jews.

              • J Michutka
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2008
                  On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:33 PM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

                  > It takes the first sitting just to get your bearings.

                  Oh, yeah!

                  Probably everyone has their tricks for working with a film and
                  keeping track of things. For each village film, I have a paper that
                  has the village name and film numbers and on each film the order of
                  the records, eg Village A, film #1234567, baptisms 1801-1825,
                  confirmations 1813, marriages 1811-1836, confirmations 1836, deaths
                  1800-1845; film #1234568, baptisms <etc>.

                  On another paper I make a chart that has village names down the side,
                  and then across the top, the words births, marriages, deaths,
                  confirmations. Only about 4 villages down the side, because I want
                  big squares to write in. As I hopscotch (sometimes) through the
                  records, I note which years I've read through line-by-line; so in the
                  square for village A, baptisms, I might have written "1798-1805"
                  "1836" "1875-1898". It doesn't mean that I won't revisit years that
                  I've read through, but I can't tell you how many times I've asked
                  myself "did I ever go through that year?" and I just have to check my
                  paper. It also tells me which years still need a read-through.

                  I also keep a couple of different kinds of research logs; but the
                  above are what I do to keep track of my microfilm work in a very
                  general way.

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...
                • Vicky
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                    Thanks Bill!
                    Then do you have any idea where I could get a birth record for 1903?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                      From the town office.

                      --
                      Bill Tarkulich
                      http://www.iabsi.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
                        Hi Vicky,

                        As Bill T. mentioned try to get a ditigal camera and take pictures. I always take my camera just in case the copier is down. I use to look at the films here in the small mountain town that we live in. This LDS doesnt have anyway of copying the films so I started bringing my camera with me as suggested by a member a few years ago and it worked great. Sometimes I could get better pictures than the copier would do. I now drive 40 miles to view my films where there is a larger LDS Library and can now copy the films which I just love. I still do bring my camera just in case!

                        Good luck with your research

                        June

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
                          Do you know how to go about getting a birth certificate from the town?
                          Do I send a certain amount of money with a written request?
                        • johnqadam
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Vicky" <hcross888@...> wrote:

                            > Do you know how to go about getting a birth certificate from the
                            town?
                            > Do I send a certain amount of money with a written request?

                            I can only speak for Budkovce and my recent experience. Twenty look
                            ups in the civic records were specified in Slovak (only) and the cost
                            was SKK 50 per name. I provided all the known information about each
                            individual in an Excel spreadsheet format. The recording secretary
                            was too busy to handle the task while I was present and so the
                            project was handled later. I am about to receive the results via e-
                            mail from a local cousin. I left the SKK 1,000 payment while I was in
                            Slovakia.

                            I would suggest that you use the following request form as a guide.

                            WRITING FOR SLOVAK RECORDS
                            For Czech and Slovak research letter writing help, go to:
                            Click on SEARCH
                            Click on RESEARCH HELPS
                            Click on the letter "C"
                            Scroll to the bottom of the page
                            Select and print PDF document Czech and Slovak Letter-writing Guide
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 7, 2008
                              why do you need a certificate? Won't the information itself suffice?
                              Getting an official town document is much more expensive and slower
                              process.

                              In any event, write to village mayor. Explain your request and your
                              relationship to the individual (only direct descendants is the privacy law
                              privilege.)
                              Some mayors will respond, some may not. If not, then you'll need someone
                              to call and sort it out that way. While the laws may be consistent, not
                              every mayor responds similarly.

                              Regards,
                              Bill

                              --
                              Bill Tarkulich
                              http://www.iabsi.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 10, 2008
                                Thanks to all of you for the great advice. I really appreciate it.

                                Vicky