RE: [S-R] Klaczan

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 5, 2008
      For Eugene Klodzen, Vladimir's information looks very significant. The old
      ELTE map of Trencsen megye shows that Rajec(z) is right next to Klacsan, now
      Klace SK. Old Hungarian spellings also include Kleczen and Kalacsany. Roman
      Catholic church records for Klacsan are with Rajec, which go back all the
      way to 1674.

      Despite the similarity in names, there would appear to be no relation
      between the village of Klacsano near Munkacs and Klacsan in Trencsen.

      Janet

    • gklodzen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 6, 2008
        Janet, Margo, Vladimir, John and All,

        Many thanks for this recent information which may open yet another door into
        the family past, and which I would likely never have known had I not been a
        member of this group of "generous with their knowledge" family history
        researchers like yourselves. You can be sure that I will be ordering the relevant
        microfilm from the Family History Center.

        As someone said, 'Genealogy becomes rather addictive. No sooner do you find
        one ancestor but you start looking for another even further back in time.' So
        true. But even better then finding just that ancestor is the historical
        perspective that unfolds during the search, the added knowledge of the time and
        place in which the ancestor lived, thus some of which he or she may have
        personally experienced. As one who never knew his grandparents, this research
        odyssey has taught me much about them, ...and myself.

        Many thanks for your help along the way,
        Eugene Klodzen

        In a message dated 2/5/2008 10:04:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        kozlay@... writes:

        For Eugene Klodzen, Vladimir's information looks very significant. The old
        ELTE map of Trencsen megye shows that Rajec(z) is right next to Klacsan, now
        Klace SK. Old Hungarian spellings also include Kleczen and Kalacsany. Roman
        Catholic church records for Klacsan are with Rajec, which go back all the
        way to 1674.

        Despite the similarity in names, there would appear to be no relation
        between the village of Klacsano near Munkacs and Klacsan in Trencsen.

        Janet

        <<Eugene, Vladimir will probably expand on this reply because he is the
        expert. In the meantime, the Urbars are the old feudal tax records which list the
        serf taxpayers. The records from 1770ish are available on microfilm from the
        Family History Centers. In the list of microfilms, they are Urberi tabellak
        1767-1773. The documents are in archaic Slovak and Latin.

        Also, Richard Marsina and Michal Kusik wrote Urbare feudalnych pastiev na
        Slovensku (1959). Vol. 1 deals with the 16th century and Vol. 2 with the 17th
        century. I ordered this on interlibrary loan at my local public library. The
        information presented varies from year to year.

        Rajec near Zilina has a nice little restaurant. But it is also very near
        Rajec Teplice, my favorite spa in all Slovakia. The old building is very ornate.
        There is live music and dancing on summer evenings. And a small bar next to
        the pool serves slivovce.>>

        Margo

        48)

      • gklodzen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 7, 2008
          Janet, Vladimir and All,

          To add a little more information with regard to our recent discussion of
          villages Rajecz, Klacsan and Kladzan:

          In searching through the old Hungarian map, circa 1910:

          _http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg_
          (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg)

          I've found the old village of Kladzan to be in Zemplin County at these
          coordinates:

          21 degrees, 45 minutes, & 48 degrees, 45 minutes (hope that's the right
          terminology)

          As village Kladzan was considerably closer to present day Vinne then was
          village Klaczan (located in Trencen County) I'm speculating now that perhaps my
          KLADZAN ancestors found in Vinne may have had their origins in village
          Kladzan rather then the more distant village Klacsan. And, as the spelling of
          both the ancestral surname and the village are identical, it seems a likely
          possibility.

          So, next up will be a search of records (church and others) covering years
          prior to 1812, the year of the earliest KLADZAN found in Vinne. Any thoughts
          or suggestions would, as always, be much appreciated.

          Many thanks,
          Eugene Klodzen (researching KLADZAN, PIKULA, HLADKY, LABADA)

          48)