Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Slovakian surname spelling

  • mjesko@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
      In all likelyhood, it was changed by someone here in America to make it
      sound more "AMERICAN" and less foreign.

      The change could have been made by the family or could have been done
      when they landed in this country as often happened.

      Happy hunting!
      mark in Catonsville

      "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
      http://community.webtv.net/MJESKO/WELCOMETOMARKSPAGE
    • Jawjohnson16@cs.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
        Do you know if any of your Petrick's came to Pennsylvania? My cousin is
        married to a Petrick (same spelling) and his parents (although the father is
        deceased - but the Mother is still living) live locally here in the
        Pittsburgh area.

        If you want to check any connection with this link, please let me know and I
        will try to find out, to the best of my ability, any information that they
        may have on their progenitors.

        Joy An Wilkinson-Johnson
        Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, USA
      • kathiraisa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
          Hi Joy

          I really do not know if any of the Petrick's went to PA. What I do know is
          the following:

          Gyorgy Petrik came to NYC in 1899. He was 18 and he said he was from Kassa
          Hamor, Autria-Hungary (today it is Kosice, Slovakia). His American name
          became George J. Petrick (I have a hunch that the J is for Jozef). He
          married Zofie Miko and had 3 children. Edward Paul, George Edward and
          Milton. He was a printer. I do not know names of parents or siblings, but
          think that Jana Petrika might have been his brother. Wife Sofie died in New
          Jersey in 1956, he died in 1959 also in New Jersey. My father, George Edward
          died in 1960. Edward Paul had no children and died in 1951. Milton had at
          least 3, lived in Illinois, but we lost contact with him and his family when
          my mother moved us to Brazil right after my father's death; I know he died in
          1980 as I saw his grave at Holy Trinity in Hopelawn New Jersey.

          So, that is what I know about the Petricks. I am waiting for death
          certificates and George and Sofie's marriage certificate. I am terribly
          curious about Jana Petrika, because of the spelling of the last name and
          because of his death announcement in a 1922 NYC Slovak language newspaper;
          one of the persons signing the announcement was Jozef Petrik; maybe Jozef was
          George J. Petrick, meaning that Jana was my great uncle.

          If you think that there is some connection please do what you need to do! :)

          Regards.
          Kathi-Raisa Petrick
          Cockeysville, MD
        • kathiraisa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2000
            Hello Ray

            Thank you so much for your explanation! It is extremely helpful. It seems
            that Slovak grammar functions in many aspects like Finnish grammar (my
            mother's side is Finnish).

            Thank you once again!
            Regards,
            Kathi-Raisa Petrick