Szemley query

  • Paula Knebler
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
      I received this today from one of my group members and I don't know how to answer her. I need expert advice, of which I know this group has many experts. I do know that the Banaters/Donauschwabens Hungarianized their names, but I don't know about the Poles. I looked up the name of the town Lwow, and it's close to the Ukraine. I searched for her family name on Surname navigator and the only thing that showed up was her queries on Rootsweb. Any help?

      Thanks,

      Paula

      Hello group members,

      I have a mystery that no one in my family can explain. My mother�s maiden name was Szemley and the family was from Lwow (L�viv, Lemberg depending the historical period). The family was Polish.

      I understand that the name �Szemley� is Hungarian. The mystery is how the name got there. I know there are the normal generic explanations relating to migration � just like my family name Sl~ugocki is now an Australian name.

      If I can come up with some theories then perhaps I can start exploring them. I have googled the name but there are many sites in Hungarian and I can�t read them.

      Any preliminary help would be most appreciated

    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
        I am Polish as well as Slovak and when doing research on the Polish side, I
        used a site called "Rymut"
        I put in your query for the surname search for Szemley and in 1992, there
        was 1 person in present day Poland named Szemley and they lived in Krakow. I
        then put in "Szeml ", leaving off the ending, to do a longer search and the
        results are in the box below.
        Nazwisko means surname.
        Ogolna liczba means number of people with that name and
        Rozmieszczenie roughly means what district they were located at that time.
        A more recent search, after Rymut, to my knowledge has not been done on
        surnames in Poland.
        the home site for Rymut is:
        _http://www.herby.com.pl/herby/_ (http://www.herby.com.pl/herby/)
        I hope that this may give you some leads.

        pknebler@... writes:

        Szemley

        Nazwisko Ogólna liczba Rozmieszczenie Szemla 82 Wa:5, BB:42, Ka:25,
        Ki:2, NS:5, Wr:3 Szemlej 11 Wa:1, Go:2, Wr:8 Szemlet 4 Pr:4 Szemlewski 2 El:2
        Szemley 1 Kr:1 Szemlij 15 Go:11, Ka:4 Szemlik 1 Ka:1 Szemliński 10 Ka:10

        48)

      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2008
          The "box " did not appear in the previous post. Please go to
          _http://www.herby.com.pl/herby/_ (http://www.herby.com.pl/herby/)
          when the site comes up, click on to
          _"Słownika Nazwisk Współcześnie w Polsce Używanych"_
          (http://www.herby.com.pl/herby/indexslo.html) ,
          put the surname in the search box and click "Szukaj"
          the box with the surnames will appear.
          good luck (http://www.herby.com.pl/herby/)

          48)