Slovakian surname spelling

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2000
      I wonder if someone could help me with the following:

      I am a Petrick. I found a relative, probably my great-uncle, called Jana
      Petrika (John Petrick in the NYC death index). His brother was Jozef Petrik.

      Based on some old papers I thought that the original spelling of my surname
      was Petrik without the "c", but if the Jozef mentioned above is my
      grandfather, why would his brother spell his last name Petrika?

      Thanks for your help.

      Kathi-Raisa Petrick
      Cockeysville, MD
    • Raymond Doperak
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2000
        At 10:35 AM 7/2/00 -0400, you wrote:
        >I am a Petrick. I found a relative, probably my great-uncle, called Jana
        >Petrika (John Petrick in the NYC death index). His brother was Jozef Petrik.
        >
        >Based on some old papers I thought that the original spelling of my surname
        >was Petrik without the "c", but if the Jozef mentioned above is my
        >grandfather, why would his brother spell his last name Petrika?
        >
        >Thanks for your help.
        >
        >Kathi-Raisa Petrick
        >Cockeysville, MD

        Kathi,
        Nouns in Slovak will change, depending on case (& other factors).
        Looks like the above is a genitive case form in the Slovak language. For
        instance, the record where you found the reference to Jan may have said
        something like "the family of Jan Petrik" or "the brother of Jan Petrik",
        in which instance Jan Petrik Becomes Jana Petrika.
        "the family of Jan Petrik" = rodina Jana Petrika
        "the brother of Jan Petrik" = brat Jana Petrika
        There is another way to express the possessive in Slovak too. But
        the thing to be aware of in your research is that the whole name can
        change, depending on its usage.
        Ray Doperak
      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, kathiraisa@a... wrote:
          > I wonder if someone could help me with the following:
          >
          > I am a Petrick.
          > Kathi-Raisa Petrick
          > Cockeysville, MD

          Gyorgy Petrik.

          György is the Hungarian male name for George (E)
          Derived from L-Gr and means farmer.
          George(E) is Juraj in Slovak.
          Letter J probably meant Juraj, since given names had a
          tendency to recyle in families.
          The Slovaks used a naming convention for given names as did
          many other ethnicities.

          Aside from Slovak grammatical form , Jana is Jan (John) in Slovak
          and János in Hungarian.
          Think that Jana Petrika was just a grammatical case form of Jan
          Petrik, i.e. letter "a" was added to both the given and surname.
          This was typical in birth/baptism , marriage, and death records.

          Kos^ice (Sv) Kassa (H) Kaschau (G)

          Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék) and
          part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (1867-1918) and earlier a
          part of Hungary under the Austrian Empire.
          Hungarian names were used for towns and counties.
          There were also German and Ruthenian settlements in this region
          of eastern Slovakia.

          This surname may have had other variant spelling such as Petrech,
          Petrik, Petric, Petric^, Petrick, Petric^k ,etc.
          What was surname religion ? If G.C. there might have been additional
          surname spellings ?
          I mean used in Slovakia before emigration to the U.S., not from
          later
          name changes.

          The Slovakia telephone directory lists about 100 surname Petrik (and
          the feminine form Petriková) under Kos^ice.

          The Slovakia telephone directory lists about 60 surname Miko (and
          the feminine form Miková) under Kos^ice and area.

          402 surname Petrik are listed in the Social Security Death Index.

          http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Petrik&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20
          =&advqt=%2Fsearch%2Frectype%2Fvital%2Fssdi%2Fmain.htm&db=ssdi&submit42
          3=Search&f13=&f15=&f14=&f12=&f9=&f8=&f10=&f6=&f5=&f7=

          Probably 800-1200 surname bearers just in the U.S.

          204 surname Miko are listed in the SSDI.

          http://ssdi.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?f3=Miko&f4=&f0=&f1=&f2=&f20=&