Re: [S-R] Name Change

  • MILAN HUBA
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
      After coming to America, my maternal grandfather changed the spelling of this name at least four times. This was done informally...he just started signing his name differently. The various name changes are reflected on various documents including the birth certificates of his children.

      In his case, he was trying to retain the original European pronunciation of his name. If he retained the European spelling, his name would have been pronounced or would have sounded differently in English. Each time he changed the spelling of his name, he was refining the process, trying to get the English spelling even closer to the correct European sound.

      It is perfectly legal to unofficially change your name unless of course this is done with the intent to defraud someone else.

      Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

      I return once again to the Pros here at Slovak-Roots. I am seeking a
      direction to follow in searching for the origin of Our Family name being
      changed.

      As I understand it,My Grand Father wishing to have a more American
      sounding name changed his from "Haluska" to "Halusker".

      This I have heard through Family History and the fact that all documents
      I have for My Great Grand Father are for Haluska up to and including his
      Death. My Grand Father's BC also has Haluska as a Surname. At some
      point in time he began using Halusker.

      This could have been done when he recieved his SS# became Employed with
      the Erie Rail Road or some time before he Married My Grand Mother. All
      list Halusker and not Haluska.

      What do you guys think? Could he have done this on his own or could this
      be a legal thing through the courts.

      Charles Halusker Jr. Resided in Garfield NJ at least until 1934 when he
      Married in Cliffside Park.

      How does one begin this search?

    • Dennis and Donna
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
        That is interesting. I never heard it explained in such a way.

        I guess then that is that. Unless others can further share a story or

        two.

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
          Agreed. Before the time of Social Security, the notion of "positive
          identification" was laughable by today's standards of photo IDs, bar codes
          and computerized cross reference. Anything was possible.
          Research? Whatever you find. There is no formula on this one.

          Bill

          I think, this is a strictly family matter and noone will be able to help. I
          also doubt there will be any answer. It happened. That's all.
          But, one can develop all kinds of theories.
          Vladimir

          _____

[...]

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • William F Brna
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
            Of course, if he lived in Massachusetts rather than New Jersey, the
            answer is obvious. That's the way that a final "a" is pronounced, e. g.,
            Cuba is pronounced Cuber.

            Bill Brna

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
              Hee! Hee! So True.
              Be careful when you order a milkshake here: they take it literally...

              Bill

              <ddhalusker@...> writes:
              That is interesting. I never heard it explained in such a way.

              I guess then that is that. Unless others can further share a story or

              two.

              - In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MILAN HUBA <illy@...> wrote:

              > After coming to America, my maternal grandfather changed the
              spelling of this name at least four times. This was done
              informally...he just started signing his name differently. The
              various name changes are reflected on various documents including the
              birth certificates of his children.

              > In his case, he was trying to retain the original European
              pronunciation of his name. If he retained the European spelling, his
              name would have been pronounced or would have sounded differently in
              English. Each time he changed the spelling of his name, he was
              refining the process, trying to get the English spelling even closer
              to the correct European sound.

              > It is perfectly legal to unofficially change your name unless of
              course this is done with the intent to defraud someone else.

              > Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
              >
              > I return once again to the Pros here at Slovak-Roots. I am seeking a
              > direction to follow in searching for the origin of Our Family name
              being
              > changed.
              >
              > As I understand it,My Grand Father wishing to have a more American
              > sounding name changed his from "Haluska" to "Halusker".
              >
              > This I have heard through Family History and the fact that all
              documents
              > I have for My Great Grand Father are for Haluska up to and
              including his
              > Death. My Grand Father's BC also has Haluska as a Surname. At some
              > point in time he began using Halusker.
              >
              > This could have been done when he recieved his SS# became Employed
              with
              > the Erie Rail Road or some time before he Married My Grand Mother.
              All
              > list Halusker and not Haluska.
              >
              > What do you guys think? Could he have done this on his own or could
              this
              > be a legal thing through the courts.
              >
              > Charles Halusker Jr. Resided in Garfield NJ at least until 1934
              when he
              > Married in Cliffside Park.
              >
              > How does one begin this search?

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                Right you are. My Klinka relatives show up in the Bridgeport newspaper as "Clinker". You have the right idear, Bill.

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 12, 2008
                  http://www.nj.gov/state/darm/links/databases.html
                  <http://www.nj.gov/state/darm/links/databases.html>

                  This is a link that was sent me from another board. It is a searchable
                  Data Base from The State of New Jersey.

                  Unfortunatly it did not help me much. I will pass it on anyway . I guess
                  my situation is as posted.

                  Thanks guys! Dennis