RE: [S-R] Name Change

  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
      I think, this is a strictly family matter and noone will be able to help. I
      also doubt there will be any answer. It happened. That's all.
      But, one can develop all kinds of theories.
      Vladimir

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
        After coming to America, my maternal grandfather changed the spelling of this name at least four times. This was done informally...he just started signing his name differently. The various name changes are reflected on various documents including the birth certificates of his children.

        In his case, he was trying to retain the original European pronunciation of his name. If he retained the European spelling, his name would have been pronounced or would have sounded differently in English. Each time he changed the spelling of his name, he was refining the process, trying to get the English spelling even closer to the correct European sound.

        It is perfectly legal to unofficially change your name unless of course this is done with the intent to defraud someone else.

        Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Dennis and Donna
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
          That is interesting. I never heard it explained in such a way.

          I guess then that is that. Unless others can further share a story or

          two.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
            Agreed. Before the time of Social Security, the notion of "positive
            identification" was laughable by today's standards of photo IDs, bar codes
            and computerized cross reference. Anything was possible.
            Research? Whatever you find. There is no formula on this one.

            Bill

[...]

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • William F Brna
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
              Of course, if he lived in Massachusetts rather than New Jersey, the
              answer is obvious. That's the way that a final "a" is pronounced, e. g.,
              Cuba is pronounced Cuber.

              Bill Brna

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                Hee! Hee! So True.
                Be careful when you order a milkshake here: they take it literally...

                Bill

                <ddhalusker@...> writes:
                That is interesting. I never heard it explained in such a way.

                I guess then that is that. Unless others can further share a story or

                two.

                - In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MILAN HUBA <illy@...> wrote:

                > After coming to America, my maternal grandfather changed the
                spelling of this name at least four times. This was done
                informally...he just started signing his name differently. The
                various name changes are reflected on various documents including the
                birth certificates of his children.

                > In his case, he was trying to retain the original European
                pronunciation of his name. If he retained the European spelling, his
                name would have been pronounced or would have sounded differently in
                English. Each time he changed the spelling of his name, he was
                refining the process, trying to get the English spelling even closer
                to the correct European sound.

                > It is perfectly legal to unofficially change your name unless of
                course this is done with the intent to defraud someone else.

                > Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
                >
                > I return once again to the Pros here at Slovak-Roots. I am seeking a
                > direction to follow in searching for the origin of Our Family name
                being
                > changed.
                >
                > As I understand it,My Grand Father wishing to have a more American
                > sounding name changed his from "Haluska" to "Halusker".
                >
                > This I have heard through Family History and the fact that all
                documents
                > I have for My Great Grand Father are for Haluska up to and
                including his
                > Death. My Grand Father's BC also has Haluska as a Surname. At some
                > point in time he began using Halusker.
                >
                > This could have been done when he recieved his SS# became Employed
                with
                > the Erie Rail Road or some time before he Married My Grand Mother.
                All
                > list Halusker and not Haluska.
                >
                > What do you guys think? Could he have done this on his own or could
                this
                > be a legal thing through the courts.
                >
                > Charles Halusker Jr. Resided in Garfield NJ at least until 1934
                when he
                > Married in Cliffside Park.
                >
                > How does one begin this search?

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Andrea Vangor
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2008
                  Right you are. My Klinka relatives show up in the Bridgeport newspaper as "Clinker". You have the right idear, Bill.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 12, 2008
                    http://www.nj.gov/state/darm/links/databases.html
                    <http://www.nj.gov/state/darm/links/databases.html>

                    This is a link that was sent me from another board. It is a searchable
                    Data Base from The State of New Jersey.

                    Unfortunatly it did not help me much. I will pass it on anyway . I guess
                    my situation is as posted.

                    Thanks guys! Dennis