Name Change

  • Dennis and Donna
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3 7:03 AM
      I return once again to the Pros here at Slovak-Roots. I am seeking a
      direction to follow in searching for the origin of Our Family name being
      changed.

      As I understand it,My Grand Father wishing to have a more American
      sounding name changed his from "Haluska" to "Halusker".

      This I have heard through Family History and the fact that all documents
      I have for My Great Grand Father are for Haluska up to and including his
      Death. My Grand Father's BC also has Haluska as a Surname. At some
      point in time he began using Halusker.

      This could have been done when he recieved his SS# became Employed with
      the Erie Rail Road or some time before he Married My Grand Mother. All
      list Halusker and not Haluska.

      What do you guys think? Could he have done this on his own or could this
      be a legal thing through the courts.

      Charles Halusker Jr. Resided in Garfield NJ at least until 1934 when he
      Married in Cliffside Park.

      How does one begin this search?
    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3 7:58 AM
        I think, this is a strictly family matter and noone will be able to help. I
        also doubt there will be any answer. It happened. That's all.
        But, one can develop all kinds of theories.
        Vladimir

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3 2:25 PM
          After coming to America, my maternal grandfather changed the spelling of this name at least four times. This was done informally...he just started signing his name differently. The various name changes are reflected on various documents including the birth certificates of his children.

          In his case, he was trying to retain the original European pronunciation of his name. If he retained the European spelling, his name would have been pronounced or would have sounded differently in English. Each time he changed the spelling of his name, he was refining the process, trying to get the English spelling even closer to the correct European sound.

          It is perfectly legal to unofficially change your name unless of course this is done with the intent to defraud someone else.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3 4:27 PM
            That is interesting. I never heard it explained in such a way.

            I guess then that is that. Unless others can further share a story or

            two.

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3 4:29 PM
              Agreed. Before the time of Social Security, the notion of "positive
              identification" was laughable by today's standards of photo IDs, bar codes
              and computerized cross reference. Anything was possible.
              Research? Whatever you find. There is no formula on this one.

              Bill

[...]

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • William F Brna
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3 4:50 PM
                Of course, if he lived in Massachusetts rather than New Jersey, the
                answer is obvious. That's the way that a final "a" is pronounced, e. g.,
                Cuba is pronounced Cuber.

                Bill Brna

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3 5:12 PM
                  Hee! Hee! So True.
                  Be careful when you order a milkshake here: they take it literally...

                  Bill

                  <ddhalusker@...> writes:
                  That is interesting. I never heard it explained in such a way.

                  I guess then that is that. Unless others can further share a story or

                  two.

                  - In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MILAN HUBA <illy@...> wrote:

                  > After coming to America, my maternal grandfather changed the
                  spelling of this name at least four times. This was done
                  informally...he just started signing his name differently. The
                  various name changes are reflected on various documents including the
                  birth certificates of his children.

                  > In his case, he was trying to retain the original European
                  pronunciation of his name. If he retained the European spelling, his
                  name would have been pronounced or would have sounded differently in
                  English. Each time he changed the spelling of his name, he was
                  refining the process, trying to get the English spelling even closer
                  to the correct European sound.

                  > It is perfectly legal to unofficially change your name unless of
                  course this is done with the intent to defraud someone else.

                  > Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I return once again to the Pros here at Slovak-Roots. I am seeking a
                  > direction to follow in searching for the origin of Our Family name
                  being
                  > changed.
                  >
                  > As I understand it,My Grand Father wishing to have a more American
                  > sounding name changed his from "Haluska" to "Halusker".
                  >
                  > This I have heard through Family History and the fact that all
                  documents
                  > I have for My Great Grand Father are for Haluska up to and
                  including his
                  > Death. My Grand Father's BC also has Haluska as a Surname. At some
                  > point in time he began using Halusker.
                  >
                  > This could have been done when he recieved his SS# became Employed
                  with
                  > the Erie Rail Road or some time before he Married My Grand Mother.
                  All
                  > list Halusker and not Haluska.
                  >
                  > What do you guys think? Could he have done this on his own or could
                  this
                  > be a legal thing through the courts.
                  >
                  > Charles Halusker Jr. Resided in Garfield NJ at least until 1934
                  when he
                  > Married in Cliffside Park.
                  >
                  > How does one begin this search?

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Andrea Vangor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3 9:05 PM
                    Right you are. My Klinka relatives show up in the Bridgeport newspaper as "Clinker". You have the right idear, Bill.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 12 2:30 PM
                      http://www.nj.gov/state/darm/links/databases.html
                      <http://www.nj.gov/state/darm/links/databases.html>

                      This is a link that was sent me from another board. It is a searchable
                      Data Base from The State of New Jersey.

                      Unfortunatly it did not help me much. I will pass it on anyway . I guess
                      my situation is as posted.

                      Thanks guys! Dennis