Re: [S-R] Birth Certificates

  • PHILBAER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2008
      Group,

      I made a comment in an earlier email exchange that I obtained a birth record
      for my great-grandfather from the Presov archives. I responded directly to
      June about the information I obtained. It is inline with what Bill just
      explained. A researcher working for me obtained an "extract" from the parish
      records. This document was provided in both the Slovak and English languages and
      was "officialized" by the archives. It is a nice document. But, I did not want
      to give the impression that someone can contact the Presov Archives remotely
      and request such a document for a specific name. This is not possible because
      there must be the research first, in order to find the source records. In my
      case, the Archives provided the extract for a nominal fee.

      Philip Baer

      In a message dated 1/30/2008 12:09:35 P.M. W. Europe Standard Time,
      bill.tarkulich@... writes:

      Hi researchers,

      June probably know this, but I'm just going to review things with the
      group, especially new researchers who are often curious about these
      documents.

      Birth certificates are generally not necessary for genealogy research. A
      birth certificate is a document certified by authorities that can be used
      for legal matters. It is not much use to anyone other than the immediate
      family. It takes time to obtain and almost always has a cost associated
      with it. The information is copied (transcribed) from the birth register
      document, then stamped, sealed and signed.
      For Slovakia, it is not near as fancy-looking as many people expect.
      Examples can be found here:
      _http://www.iabsi.http://www.iabshttp://wwhttp://wwhttp://wwhttp://_
      (http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/document_examples.htm#1920_Kivonat) They
      look more or less like a ledger-page.

      For most genealogists, the information contained is more important than the
      paper certificate, often contains other information and is far easier to
      get. For example, the majority of church/temple ledgers pre-1895 have been
      microfilmed by the Family History Center and are available for viewing by
      everyone and anyone.

      I understand and respect there are sentimental and other reasons for
      obtaining one. However, it's worth noting that a birth certificate can take
      many months to obtain, while the films of the registers can be often viewed
      in a matter of a couple weeks.

      Regards,
      Bill

      Bill

      #199 is
      not there. Houses often have two numbers, one you can consider to be the
      street address. The other is the number of which the house was builts in
      town. It
      could be your relatives lived in the 199th building built in Presov.
      The street Pod Kalvariou is the continuation of a major street, Obrancov
      mieru. The main road through town is Highway E50/18, called Levocska
      street. On
      the westside of the Torysa River Obrancov mieru goes south off of
      Levocska.
      I will scan this section of the map and e-mail to your address, not S-R.
      Michael Mojher