Re: [S-R] Klacsano - photo of church for Bill Tarkulich

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
      Hi Bill,

      my program should be able to handel it but possibly something in the system may have blocked it such as pop-up blocker or my norton, I am not sure. Please if you get a chance try to send it over again and let me know when you do so I will know if it got stopped again.

      thanks,
      June
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
        Hi Bill,

        This discussion of the village of Klacsano is quite intriguing. While my
        19th century ancestors named KLADZAN have been traced to the village of Vinne as
        far back as 1813 I am now wondering if perhaps a more distant ancestor might
        have been from Klacsano (thus acquiring the surname KLADZAN), not too far
        southeast of Vinne. Of course the more likely location of that ancestor might
        still be the village of Kladzan, a few miles northwest of Vinne.

        All very fascinating. The research continues.

        Eugene Klodzen
        (whose Vinne ancestors eventually immigrated to Bitumen, PA in the late
        1800s)

        In a message dated 1/29/2008 12:49:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        bill.tarkulich@... writes:

        --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

      • gklodzen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 31, 2008
          Hi Bill,

          Interesting discussion of the village of Klacsano which got me thinking
          anew. My 19th century ancestors named KLADZAN have been traced to the village of
          Vinne as far back as 1813, but I now wonder if perhaps a more distant
          ancestor might have been from Klacsano, which, with a slightly different spelling,
          could have evolved as the surname KLADZAN. By 1910 in America the name had
          become KLODZEN.

          Always interesting and informative, thanks for your comments, website and
          this discussion group,
          Eugene Klodzen

          bill.tarkulich@... writes:

          --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
          , "June McKee" <junemckee@.ju> wrote:

          > Hi Bill,
          >
          > As you can see this conversation was from a few months ago. I sent
          an email to your other address but I am not sure If you recieved it.
          If the offer is still there regarding the photo of the Parish in
          Klacsano I would love to see a copy of it whenever you get a chance. I
          had forgot about this and just came across the posting this evening
          while going thru old messages. I am still waiting for Homeland
          Security to resend me the copy of my gm's immigration papers which I
          had recieved back in November but they were so faint I couldnt make
          too much out. I sure hope that this time they will be able to be read
          so I can make out what the name of her homeland villiage was for sure.
          I asked if they could send me a cd which they normally do not do if
          there are less than 11 pages but I must have really got a nice helpful
          person because she told me that she would. I am thinking that it may
          be easier to read a cd.
          > I also want to thank you for all of the help that you have given and
          sending me in the right direction.

          > June McKee

          ____________________________________
          Start the year off right. _Easy ways to stay in shape_
          (http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489) in the new year.

        • konekta@nm.psg.sk
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2008
            Dear Eugene,
            In available Urbars I found one occurence of
            Klaczan surname of a serf in 1688, town of Rajec, Estate of Zilina Jesuites.
            Vladimir

            _____

            bill.tarkulich@ <mailto:bill.tarkulich%40iabsi.com> iabsi.com writes:

            --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@
            <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com)

            (http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/2ho6wk> com/2ho6wk)

            (http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/34cgw2> com/34cgw2)

            http://lazarhttp://lazhttp://laz_
            (http://lazarus. <http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg.>
            elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg.)

            > >> I haven't been able to identify it on a modern map of Ukraine.
            It might
            > >> be
            > >> Suche, or it might have simply disappeared.
            > >>

            > >> Janet
            > >>

            > >> _____
            > >>
            > >> From: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_
            (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com)

            ____________________________________

            http://body.

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 3, 2008
              Dear Eugene,
              If somebody has a name associated with a place name, then he most probably
              is a descendant of the first mayor of that place.
              However, surnames of this sort were created before 16th century, so just no
              way to find out anything more about that, except the family was noble, where
              some additional records might be available.
              Vladimir

              _____

              http://body.

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                Vladimir,

                I'd be quite surprised if my family descended from nobility, but hey, always
                a possibility. I will dig a little deeper and see where it leads. For the
                present, I'm just happy to have found the grandparents and great-grandparents in
                Vinne.

                Thank you for your information,
                Eugene

                From: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
                This discussion of the village of Klacsano is quite intriguing. While my
                19th century ancestors named KLADZAN have been traced to the village of
                Vinne as
                far back as 1813 I am now wondering if perhaps a more distant ancestor might

                have been from Klacsano (thus acquiring the surname KLADZAN), not too far
                southeast of Vinne. Of course the more likely location of that ancestor
                might
                still be the village of Kladzan, a few miles northwest of Vinne.

                All very fascinating. The research continues.

                Eugene Klodzen
                (whose Vinne ancestors eventually immigrated to Bitumen, PA in the late
                1800s)

                In a message dated 1/29/2008 12:49:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                bill.tarkulich@ <mailto:bill.mailto:bilmailto:bill> iabsi.com writes:

                --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@--- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@<WBR>SLOVAK-ROO--- In
                <mailto:SLOVAK-mailto:SLOVAK-<Wmailto:> yahoogroups.
                , "June McKee" <junemckee@.ju> wrote:

                > Hi Bill,
                >
                > As you can see this conversation was from a few months ago. I sent
                an email to your other address but I am not sure If you recieved it.
                If the offer is still there regarding the photo of the Parish in
                Klacsano I would love to see a copy of it whenever you get a chance. I
                had forgot about this and just came across the posting this evening
                while going thru old messages. I am still waiting for Homeland
                Security to resend me the copy of my gm's immigration papers which I
                had recieved back in November but they were so faint I couldnt make
                too much out. I sure hope that this time they will be able to be read
                so I can make out what the name of her homeland villiage was for sure.
                I asked if they could send me a cd which they normally do not do if
                there are less than 11 pages but I must have really got a nice helpful
                person because she told me that she would. I am thinking that it may
                be easier to read a cd.
                > I also want to thank you for all of the help that you have given and
                sending me in the right direction.

                > June McKee

                <_http://lazarus.http://lazarus.http://lazahttp:/_ (http://lazarus.http//lazarhttp://lazhttp://laz_) >
                _http://lazarhttp:http://lazhttp:/_ (http://lazarhttp//lazhttp://laz_)
                (_http://lazarus._ (http://lazarus./)
                <_http://lazarus.http://lazarhttp://lazhttp://laz_ (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg.) >
                elte.hu/hun/elte.hu/huelte.hu/huelte.h

                > >> I haven't been able to identify it on a modern map of Ukraine.
                It might
                > >> be
                > >> Suche, or it might have simply disappeared.
                > >>

                > >> Janet
                > >>

                > >> _____
                > >>
                > >> From: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@ From: _SLOVA
                (mailto:SLOVAK-(mailto:SLO<mailto:SLOVAK-mailto:SLOVAK-<Wmailto:>
                yahoogroups.yahoogrou
                [mailto:_SLOVAK-[mailto:_SLOV[mailto:_SLOVAK-<WBR>ROOTS@SL[mailt
                <mailto:SLOVAK-mailto:SLOVAK-<Wmailto:> yahoogroups.
                > >> Subject: [S-R] finally got the immigration papers
                > >>

                > >> Well after reading Paula's posting lastweek regarding her papers
                > >> coming back and not being able to read them it has just happened to
                > >> me aswell. after 18mos of waiting I recieved my grandmother Meri
                > >> Boldizar "Kolina" immigration papers. I got the declaration of
                > >> intention, petition for naturalaization and the certificate
                .Welll I
                > >> cant hardly read anything!!!! cant hardly read anything!!!!<WBR>! I ha
                > >> all these months and then what a disapointment. I gave them a call
                > >> and the person which I spoke with is going to see if they can get a
                > >> better copy for me. Of course of all the things that I really
                need is
                > >> to be able to read the village in which she came from and it is
                very
                > >> difficult. The lady helping me on the phone tried to read it to me
                > >> the best that she could and thinks that the village looks like it
                > >> could be spelled "Elocona" the E could be an "F". it says
                > >> Czechslovakia hungary. I have always been told that she was from
                > >> Munkacs. The EI manifest which I believe to be her says she
                came from
                > >> Klaczano. I was told several years ago that Klaczano was
                possibly an
                > >> old name for Munkacs? or possibly very nearby. Does anyone know who
                > >> would be familiar with this area? I checked the fuzzy Gazzetter and
                > >> several other sites but couldnt get anything. I also have played
                > >> around with scanning them and nothing works. so much of the
                print is
                > >> gone.
                > >>
                > >> thank you,
                > >> June

                48)

              • gklodzen@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                  A much more likely possibility, Vladimir. Some questions, please. What is
                  the meaning of Urbars, and is this record available? Also, where is the town
                  of Rajec?

                  Many thanks,
                  Eugene

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                    June - (my apologies to the group for the broadcast)

                    I emailed you two messages on Feb 2. One with the scan,one a plain
                    message. I have not heard from you. Please look for them.
                    Bill

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "June McKee" <junemckee@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Bill,
                    >
                    > my program should be able to handel it but possibly something in the
                    system may have blocked it such as pop-up blocker or my norton, I am
                    not sure. Please if you get a chance try to send it over again and let
                    me know when you do so I will know if it got stopped again.

                    > thanks,
                    > June
                  • johnqadam
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                      >>> Also, where is the town of Rajec? <<<

                      Rajec, Slovakia, formerly Rajecz, Trencsén, Hungary 49°05' 18°38'
                    • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                        Dear Eugene,
                        Urbar is an old Tax book. Not available to you. If you can not find Rajec,
                        then may God help you.
                        Vladimir

                        _____

                        konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.sk> sk writes:

                        Dear Eugene,
                        In available Urbars I found one occurence of
                        Klaczan surname of a serf in 1688, town of Rajec, Estate of Zilina Jesuites.
                        Vladimir

                        (http://music.
                        <http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp0030000
                        00025> aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003000000025
                        48)

                      • Margo Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                          Eugene, Vladimir will probably expand on this reply because he is the expert. In the meantime, the Urbars are the old feudal tax records which list the serf taxpayers. The records from 1770ish are available on microfilm from the Family History Centers. In the list of microfilms, they are Urberi tabellak 1767-1773. The documents are in archaic Slovak and Latin.

                          Also, Richard Marsina and Michal Kusik wrote Urbare feudalnych pastiev na Slovensku (1959). Vol. 1 deals with the 16th century and Vol. 2 with the 17th century. I ordered this on interlibrary loan at my local public library. The information presented varies from year to year.

                          Rajec near Zilina has a nice little restaurant. But it is also very near Rajec Teplice, my favorite spa in all Slovakia. The old building is very ornate. There is live music and dancing on summer evenings. And a small bar next to the pool serves slivovce.

                          Margo

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                            Dear Margo,
                            However you turn this around, there is no more info as I already gave.
                            The two books which you ordered were my source. I took all the names from
                            all places from all estates from both books.
                            You will look in the book and find exaclty what I found and nothing more.
                            This is the oldest source of occurences of serf names here.
                            Vladimir

                            _____