Re: [S-R] Re: Presov Area: Dubrawa for Phillip

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2008
      Hi Phillip,

      I am just curious how did you go about getting the official birth certificate of your g-gf from Presov. I have copies that I made from the films which I looked from LDS but would love to get the official copies.

      June McKee

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2008
        Hi researchers,

        June probably know this, but I'm just going to review things with the
        group, especially new researchers who are often curious about these
        documents.

        Birth certificates are generally not necessary for genealogy research. A
        birth certificate is a document certified by authorities that can be used
        for legal matters. It is not much use to anyone other than the immediate
        family. It takes time to obtain and almost always has a cost associated
        with it. The information is copied (transcribed) from the birth register
        document, then stamped, sealed and signed.
        For Slovakia, it is not near as fancy-looking as many people expect.
        Examples can be found here:
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/document_examples.htm#1920_Kivonat They
        look more or less like a ledger-page.

        For most genealogists, the information contained is more important than the
        paper certificate, often contains other information and is far easier to
        get. For example, the majority of church/temple ledgers pre-1895 have been
        microfilmed by the Family History Center and are available for viewing by
        everyone and anyone.

        I understand and respect there are sentimental and other reasons for
        obtaining one. However, it's worth noting that a birth certificate can take
        many months to obtain, while the films of the registers can be often viewed
        in a matter of a couple weeks.

        Regards,
        Bill

        Bill

        In your travels through Presov, have you ever noticed the Cemetery
        Kalvaria
        ? Most of the Presov Makara's are buried there.
        Near this cemetery on a street near it - " Kalvaria alatt # 199" was the
        house of the family of grandfather Stefan Makara . The family wanted to
        sell
        this property in 1907, according to part of a letter we have. I often
        wonder, if
        the house still exists. In which area of Presov would this cemetery be ?
        I am just curious. I looked at Presov via mapquest, sort of !

        Thank You, Christine

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • PHILBAER@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2008
          Group,

          I made a comment in an earlier email exchange that I obtained a birth record
          for my great-grandfather from the Presov archives. I responded directly to
          June about the information I obtained. It is inline with what Bill just
          explained. A researcher working for me obtained an "extract" from the parish
          records. This document was provided in both the Slovak and English languages and
          was "officialized" by the archives. It is a nice document. But, I did not want
          to give the impression that someone can contact the Presov Archives remotely
          and request such a document for a specific name. This is not possible because
          there must be the research first, in order to find the source records. In my
          case, the Archives provided the extract for a nominal fee.

          Philip Baer

          _http://www.iabsi.http://www.iabshttp://wwhttp://wwhttp://wwhttp://_
[...]

          ************************<WBR>**Start the year off right. Easy ways t
          _http://body.http:/m/fitness/m/fitness/<WBR>wm/fitness/<WBR>wm/fitness_
          (http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489)

          To visit your group on the web, go to:
          _http://groups.http://grohttp://groupshttp:/_

          _http://www.yahoogrohttp://www.yahhttp://www.y_
          (http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS) -or- send blank email to
          _SLOVAK-ROOTS-SLOVAK-ROOTSSLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_
          (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com)
          Yahoo! Groups Links