Re: FHL Labs

  • Carl Kotlarchik
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
      Bill,
      I also just tried this FHC pilot program and it looks like it is
      going to be very good. Currently the indexes are fairly limited but
      like Carolyn said, those of us looking for records in Ohio, may have
      some luck. I found four death certificates from Ohio which gave me
      some new information on my family. The other tools in the lab are
      still being constructed so they are not ready for use quite yet. The
      LDS is also asking for help in creating the various indexes of
      names. Apparently, they give volunteers access to digital files that
      are not yet open to the general public.
      Carl

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn Ziurys" <cmziurys@...>
      wrote:

      > Bill,
      >
      > Although this is a pilot project, I believe that this FamilySearch
      > Record Search website has great potential, especially for those of
      > us who are researching our families in Ohio. This site has Ohio
      > Death Certificates 1908-1953 online for FREE! These are copies of
      > the originals, not just transcriptions. It also appears to be
      better
      > indexed than the Ohio Death Index, which is available online at
      > www.ohiohistory.org.
      >
      > Registration on this site is free but you do have to wait for an
      > activation email from LDS---mine came within two hours.
      >

      > Carolyn Cirbus Ziurys

      > <bill.tarkulich@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Denise M. came across a site that merits review
      > >
      > > http://labs.familysearch.org/
      > >

      > > It's a bunch of prototype tools, old and new that are not ready
      > for "prime
      > > time." It does appear to have great potential. I don't have
      time
      > to peruse
      > > it right away, it would be good for others here to go through it
      > and give
      > > comments back to FHL and the group.
      > >

      > > See what you think.
      > >

      > > Bill

    • Carl Kotlarchik
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
        I did contact the labs with some questions about the various
        databases. Not surprisingly, I found a number of mistakes in the
        indexes of names probably due to the difficulty in reading some of
        the original documents. The LDS said that they are working on a
        system that will allow family members to make corrections directly
        into their indexes. They indicated that they will post it when this
        system is ready.
        Carl