Re: FHL Labs

  • Carolyn Ziurys
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
      Bill,

      Although this is a pilot project, I believe that this FamilySearch
      Record Search website has great potential, especially for those of
      us who are researching our families in Ohio. This site has Ohio
      Death Certificates 1908-1953 online for FREE! These are copies of
      the originals, not just transcriptions. It also appears to be better
      indexed than the Ohio Death Index, which is available online at
      www.ohiohistory.org.

      Registration on this site is free but you do have to wait for an
      activation email from LDS---mine came within two hours.

      Carolyn Cirbus Ziurys

      <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

      > Denise M. came across a site that merits review
      >
      > http://labs.familysearch.org/
      >

      > It's a bunch of prototype tools, old and new that are not ready
      for "prime
      > time." It does appear to have great potential. I don't have time
      to peruse
      > it right away, it would be good for others here to go through it
      and give
      > comments back to FHL and the group.
      >

      > See what you think.
      >

      > Bill

    • Carl Kotlarchik
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
        Bill,
        I also just tried this FHC pilot program and it looks like it is
        going to be very good. Currently the indexes are fairly limited but
        like Carolyn said, those of us looking for records in Ohio, may have
        some luck. I found four death certificates from Ohio which gave me
        some new information on my family. The other tools in the lab are
        still being constructed so they are not ready for use quite yet. The
        LDS is also asking for help in creating the various indexes of
        names. Apparently, they give volunteers access to digital files that
        are not yet open to the general public.
        Carl

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn Ziurys" <cmziurys@...>
        wrote:

        > Bill,
        >
        > Although this is a pilot project, I believe that this FamilySearch
        > Record Search website has great potential, especially for those of
        > us who are researching our families in Ohio. This site has Ohio
        > Death Certificates 1908-1953 online for FREE! These are copies of
        > the originals, not just transcriptions. It also appears to be
        better
        > indexed than the Ohio Death Index, which is available online at
        > www.ohiohistory.org.
        >
        > Registration on this site is free but you do have to wait for an
        > activation email from LDS---mine came within two hours.
        >

        > Carolyn Cirbus Ziurys

        > <bill.tarkulich@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Denise M. came across a site that merits review
        > >
        > > http://labs.familysearch.org/
        > >

        > > It's a bunch of prototype tools, old and new that are not ready
        > for "prime
        > > time." It does appear to have great potential. I don't have
        time
        > to peruse
        > > it right away, it would be good for others here to go through it
        > and give
        > > comments back to FHL and the group.
        > >

        > > See what you think.
        > >

        > > Bill

      • Carl Kotlarchik
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
          I did contact the labs with some questions about the various
          databases. Not surprisingly, I found a number of mistakes in the
          indexes of names probably due to the difficulty in reading some of
          the original documents. The LDS said that they are working on a
          system that will allow family members to make corrections directly
          into their indexes. They indicated that they will post it when this
          system is ready.
          Carl