RE: [S-R] Leskovansky, Sopkovich, Kacenga

  • Marilyn Hertenstein
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2008
      Patricia,
      Do you know the approximate age, or year of birth for Katherine?

      Marilyn

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2008
        Patricia,
        Using some map searches I have located your villages of Uloza and Koterbah.
        Uloza is a village of 190 people; 98.95% Slovak and 1.05% Gipsy (Slovak spelling). The village is 92.63% Roman Catholic and 2.63 Greek Catholic, with 1.58% Evangelical. It is located 4 km / 2.4 miles northeast of Levoca. Presov is the largest city to the east and Poprad to the west.
        Koterbah was a little more difficult to find since the spelling is not typically Slovak. I did find a Koterbachy, Slovakia. But I couldn't find it on my road atlas. I finally discovered that it had a name change in 1945. It is now called Rudnany, Slovakia. It is almost due south of Uloza some 18 km / 11 miles. Markusovce is the largest near town to the northwest.
        Rudnany is fairly large, 3196 people. 86.61 Slovak and 12.36 Gipsy. 89.64 Roman Catholic and 2.13% Greek Catholic. The town has a website in Slovak - www.rudnany.ocu.sk/aktuality.php
        A website I use to check surnames unfortunately has not listed your villages yet.
        Hope this is some help.
        Michael Mojher

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
          Dear Mr. Mojher,
          I am researching my grandparents who came to the USA from Osuske in what is now Slovakia. I saw your email to Patricia and wondered how to obtain the kind of information about a village that you passed on. We were there in 2006 but we could not speak the language. The few people we tried to talk to were very courteous and tried to help but our lack of understanding was a real barrier. We spent a lot of time in the church cemetery looking at names on headstones and found a few with the surnames we were looking for but we have yet to find out the name of the church. We are planning another trip in the next few years and would love to have a better understanding of what I am experiencing. Can you point me to the sources where I may be able to find the information I require? Thank you.
          Respectfully,
          Joanne Liston

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
            HI - i think the Malatinskys in Osuske know a great
            deal. I found them for you in the Slovak phone book
            listing and tho they are not related they know people
            who are related to you. A visit to them would answer a
            lot of your questions. They have had the grave of your
            ancestor's brother photographed and they gave it to me
            when I was in Slovakia and it is in the mail to you.
            Or maybe I could pose your questions to them when I
            see them next summer. They are wonderful people and so
            hospitable.

            helene

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs