JewishGen clarification

  • J Michutka
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2008
      Just so you know....and can try it again...JewishGen does not require
      a *paid* membership; you can register for free, I did so years ago
      and periodically use their databases.

      The database you cite here has an *advanced* search function, and
      that is in fact available only to donors of a certain level. But the
      basic search function is available to anyone who registers for free.
      By way of example: I was able to search one parameter at a time, such
      as "name" "sounds like" <fill in the blank> or "town" "is exactly"
      <fill in the blank>. It then gave me a list of the datasets where
      there were hits, and how many hits per dataset. Clicking on those
      results got me to a page that asked for my JewishGen ID and password;
      then I got the info. (Should have signed in before my search, and
      avoided that little interruption.) What I could NOT do, because I
      haven't made a donation of any size, is use multiple parameters to
      narrow my search, such as combining the above town name and surname
      to try to find one individual or one family.

      Hope that is helpful.

      I too found it interesting to look at the Jewish population of my
      grandparents' villages. In the Jewish birth records, I found the
      names of local Catholic women as midwives, including one of my
      ancestresses. In passenger records, I found my great-grandfather's
      sister coming to America with others from her village, including a
      local Jewish woman. I hunted down the Jewish cemetery on my last
      visit. And in Israel, I met with a Jewish descendent of our
      ancestral village. It all gives me a more complete picture of the
      village and its people.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      I then went to the web site http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/
      Holocaust/
      I searched for Sulin … But JewishGen demands membership…