FHL Labs

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 23, 2008
      Denise M. came across a site that merits review

      http://labs.familysearch.org/

      It's a bunch of prototype tools, old and new that are not ready for "prime
      time." It does appear to have great potential. I don't have time to peruse
      it right away, it would be good for others here to go through it and give
      comments back to FHL and the group.

      See what you think.

      Bill

    • Carolyn Ziurys
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
        Bill,

        Although this is a pilot project, I believe that this FamilySearch
        Record Search website has great potential, especially for those of
        us who are researching our families in Ohio. This site has Ohio
        Death Certificates 1908-1953 online for FREE! These are copies of
        the originals, not just transcriptions. It also appears to be better
        indexed than the Ohio Death Index, which is available online at
        www.ohiohistory.org.

        Registration on this site is free but you do have to wait for an
        activation email from LDS---mine came within two hours.

        Carolyn Cirbus Ziurys

        <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

        > Denise M. came across a site that merits review
        >
        > http://labs.familysearch.org/
        >

        > It's a bunch of prototype tools, old and new that are not ready
        for "prime
        > time." It does appear to have great potential. I don't have time
        to peruse
        > it right away, it would be good for others here to go through it
        and give
        > comments back to FHL and the group.
        >

        > See what you think.
        >

        > Bill

      • Carl Kotlarchik
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
          Bill,
          I also just tried this FHC pilot program and it looks like it is
          going to be very good. Currently the indexes are fairly limited but
          like Carolyn said, those of us looking for records in Ohio, may have
          some luck. I found four death certificates from Ohio which gave me
          some new information on my family. The other tools in the lab are
          still being constructed so they are not ready for use quite yet. The
          LDS is also asking for help in creating the various indexes of
          names. Apparently, they give volunteers access to digital files that
          are not yet open to the general public.
          Carl

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carolyn Ziurys" <cmziurys@...>
          wrote:

          > Bill,
          >
          > Although this is a pilot project, I believe that this FamilySearch
          > Record Search website has great potential, especially for those of
          > us who are researching our families in Ohio. This site has Ohio
          > Death Certificates 1908-1953 online for FREE! These are copies of
          > the originals, not just transcriptions. It also appears to be
          better
          > indexed than the Ohio Death Index, which is available online at
          > www.ohiohistory.org.
          >
          > Registration on this site is free but you do have to wait for an
          > activation email from LDS---mine came within two hours.
          >

          > Carolyn Cirbus Ziurys

          > <bill.tarkulich@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Denise M. came across a site that merits review
          > >
          > > http://labs.familysearch.org/
          > >

          > > It's a bunch of prototype tools, old and new that are not ready
          > for "prime
          > > time." It does appear to have great potential. I don't have
          time
          > to peruse
          > > it right away, it would be good for others here to go through it
          > and give
          > > comments back to FHL and the group.
          > >

          > > See what you think.
          > >

          > > Bill

        • Carl Kotlarchik
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 24, 2008
            I did contact the labs with some questions about the various
            databases. Not surprisingly, I found a number of mistakes in the
            indexes of names probably due to the difficulty in reading some of
            the original documents. The LDS said that they are working on a
            system that will allow family members to make corrections directly
            into their indexes. They indicated that they will post it when this
            system is ready.
            Carl