Re: [S-R] Klacsano - photo of church for Bill Tarkulich

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 22, 2008
      Hi Bill,

      As you can see this conversation was from a few months ago. I sent an email to your other address but I am not sure If you recieved it. If the offer is still there regarding the photo of the Parish in Klacsano I would love to see a copy of it whenever you get a chance. I had forgot about this and just came across the posting this evening while going thru old messages. I am still waiting for Homeland Security to resend me the copy of my gm's immigration papers which I had recieved back in November but they were so faint I couldnt make too much out. I sure hope that this time they will be able to be read so I can make out what the name of her homeland villiage was for sure. I asked if they could send me a cd which they normally do not do if there are less than 11 pages but I must have really got a nice helpful person because she told me that she would. I am thinking that it may be easier to read a cd.
      I also want to thank you for all of the help that you have given and sending me in the right direction.

      June McKee

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
        June, I sent the scan to you on 12/23/07. It is 1MB in size. Perhaps
        your mail program cannot handle items that large?
        Bill

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "June McKee" <junemckee@...> wrote:

        > Hi Bill,
        >
        > As you can see this conversation was from a few months ago. I sent
        an email to your other address but I am not sure If you recieved it.
        If the offer is still there regarding the photo of the Parish in
        Klacsano I would love to see a copy of it whenever you get a chance. I
        had forgot about this and just came across the posting this evening
        while going thru old messages. I am still waiting for Homeland
        Security to resend me the copy of my gm's immigration papers which I
        had recieved back in November but they were so faint I couldnt make
        too much out. I sure hope that this time they will be able to be read
        so I can make out what the name of her homeland villiage was for sure.
        I asked if they could send me a cd which they normally do not do if
        there are less than 11 pages but I must have really got a nice helpful
        person because she told me that she would. I am thinking that it may
        be easier to read a cd.
        > I also want to thank you for all of the help that you have given and
        sending me in the right direction.

        > June McKee

      • June McKee
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 29, 2008
          Hi Bill,

          my program should be able to handel it but possibly something in the system may have blocked it such as pop-up blocker or my norton, I am not sure. Please if you get a chance try to send it over again and let me know when you do so I will know if it got stopped again.

          thanks,
          June

        • gklodzen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 30, 2008
            Hi Bill,

            This discussion of the village of Klacsano is quite intriguing. While my
            19th century ancestors named KLADZAN have been traced to the village of Vinne as
            far back as 1813 I am now wondering if perhaps a more distant ancestor might
            have been from Klacsano (thus acquiring the surname KLADZAN), not too far
            southeast of Vinne. Of course the more likely location of that ancestor might
            still be the village of Kladzan, a few miles northwest of Vinne.

            All very fascinating. The research continues.

            Eugene Klodzen
            (whose Vinne ancestors eventually immigrated to Bitumen, PA in the late
            1800s)

            In a message dated 1/29/2008 12:49:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            bill.tarkulich@... writes:

            --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)

          • gklodzen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 31, 2008
              Hi Bill,

              Interesting discussion of the village of Klacsano which got me thinking
              anew. My 19th century ancestors named KLADZAN have been traced to the village of
              Vinne as far back as 1813, but I now wonder if perhaps a more distant
              ancestor might have been from Klacsano, which, with a slightly different spelling,
              could have evolved as the surname KLADZAN. By 1910 in America the name had
              become KLODZEN.

              Always interesting and informative, thanks for your comments, website and
              this discussion group,
              Eugene Klodzen

              bill.tarkulich@... writes:

              --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
              , "June McKee" <junemckee@.ju> wrote:

              > Hi Bill,
              >
              > As you can see this conversation was from a few months ago. I sent
              an email to your other address but I am not sure If you recieved it.
              If the offer is still there regarding the photo of the Parish in
              Klacsano I would love to see a copy of it whenever you get a chance. I
              had forgot about this and just came across the posting this evening
              while going thru old messages. I am still waiting for Homeland
              Security to resend me the copy of my gm's immigration papers which I
              had recieved back in November but they were so faint I couldnt make
              too much out. I sure hope that this time they will be able to be read
              so I can make out what the name of her homeland villiage was for sure.
              I asked if they could send me a cd which they normally do not do if
              there are less than 11 pages but I must have really got a nice helpful
              person because she told me that she would. I am thinking that it may
              be easier to read a cd.
              > I also want to thank you for all of the help that you have given and
              sending me in the right direction.

              > June McKee

              ____________________________________
              Start the year off right. _Easy ways to stay in shape_
              (http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489) in the new year.

            • konekta@nm.psg.sk
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 2, 2008
                Dear Eugene,
                In available Urbars I found one occurence of
                Klaczan surname of a serf in 1688, town of Rajec, Estate of Zilina Jesuites.
                Vladimir

                _____

                bill.tarkulich@ <mailto:bill.tarkulich%40iabsi.com> iabsi.com writes:

                --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@
                <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com)

                (http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/2ho6wk> com/2ho6wk)

                (http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/34cgw2> com/34cgw2)

                http://lazarhttp://lazhttp://laz_
                (http://lazarus. <http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg.>
                elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg.)

                > >> I haven't been able to identify it on a modern map of Ukraine.
                It might
                > >> be
                > >> Suche, or it might have simply disappeared.
                > >>

                > >> Janet
                > >>

                > >> _____
                > >>
                > >> From: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_
                (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                yahoogroups.com)

                ____________________________________

                http://body.

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 3, 2008
                  Dear Eugene,
                  If somebody has a name associated with a place name, then he most probably
                  is a descendant of the first mayor of that place.
                  However, surnames of this sort were created before 16th century, so just no
                  way to find out anything more about that, except the family was noble, where
                  some additional records might be available.
                  Vladimir

                  _____

                  http://body.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                    Vladimir,

                    I'd be quite surprised if my family descended from nobility, but hey, always
                    a possibility. I will dig a little deeper and see where it leads. For the
                    present, I'm just happy to have found the grandparents and great-grandparents in
                    Vinne.

                    Thank you for your information,
                    Eugene

                    From: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
                    This discussion of the village of Klacsano is quite intriguing. While my
                    19th century ancestors named KLADZAN have been traced to the village of
                    Vinne as
                    far back as 1813 I am now wondering if perhaps a more distant ancestor might

                    have been from Klacsano (thus acquiring the surname KLADZAN), not too far
                    southeast of Vinne. Of course the more likely location of that ancestor
                    might
                    still be the village of Kladzan, a few miles northwest of Vinne.

                    All very fascinating. The research continues.

                    Eugene Klodzen
                    (whose Vinne ancestors eventually immigrated to Bitumen, PA in the late
                    1800s)

                    In a message dated 1/29/2008 12:49:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    bill.tarkulich@ <mailto:bill.mailto:bilmailto:bill> iabsi.com writes:

                    --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@--- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@<WBR>SLOVAK-ROO--- In
                    <mailto:SLOVAK-mailto:SLOVAK-<Wmailto:> yahoogroups.
                    , "June McKee" <junemckee@.ju> wrote:

                    > Hi Bill,
                    >
                    > As you can see this conversation was from a few months ago. I sent
                    an email to your other address but I am not sure If you recieved it.
                    If the offer is still there regarding the photo of the Parish in
                    Klacsano I would love to see a copy of it whenever you get a chance. I
                    had forgot about this and just came across the posting this evening
                    while going thru old messages. I am still waiting for Homeland
                    Security to resend me the copy of my gm's immigration papers which I
                    had recieved back in November but they were so faint I couldnt make
                    too much out. I sure hope that this time they will be able to be read
                    so I can make out what the name of her homeland villiage was for sure.
                    I asked if they could send me a cd which they normally do not do if
                    there are less than 11 pages but I must have really got a nice helpful
                    person because she told me that she would. I am thinking that it may
                    be easier to read a cd.
                    > I also want to thank you for all of the help that you have given and
                    sending me in the right direction.

                    > June McKee

                    <_http://lazarus.http://lazarus.http://lazahttp:/_ (http://lazarus.http//lazarhttp://lazhttp://laz_) >
                    _http://lazarhttp:http://lazhttp:/_ (http://lazarhttp//lazhttp://laz_)
                    (_http://lazarus._ (http://lazarus./)
                    <_http://lazarus.http://lazarhttp://lazhttp://laz_ (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg.) >
                    elte.hu/hun/elte.hu/huelte.hu/huelte.h

                    > >> I haven't been able to identify it on a modern map of Ukraine.
                    It might
                    > >> be
                    > >> Suche, or it might have simply disappeared.
                    > >>

                    > >> Janet
                    > >>

                    > >> _____
                    > >>
                    > >> From: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@ From: _SLOVA
                    (mailto:SLOVAK-(mailto:SLO<mailto:SLOVAK-mailto:SLOVAK-<Wmailto:>
                    yahoogroups.yahoogrou
                    [mailto:_SLOVAK-[mailto:_SLOV[mailto:_SLOVAK-<WBR>ROOTS@SL[mailt
                    <mailto:SLOVAK-mailto:SLOVAK-<Wmailto:> yahoogroups.
                    > >> Subject: [S-R] finally got the immigration papers
                    > >>

                    > >> Well after reading Paula's posting lastweek regarding her papers
                    > >> coming back and not being able to read them it has just happened to
                    > >> me aswell. after 18mos of waiting I recieved my grandmother Meri
                    > >> Boldizar "Kolina" immigration papers. I got the declaration of
                    > >> intention, petition for naturalaization and the certificate
                    .Welll I
                    > >> cant hardly read anything!!!! cant hardly read anything!!!!<WBR>! I ha
                    > >> all these months and then what a disapointment. I gave them a call
                    > >> and the person which I spoke with is going to see if they can get a
                    > >> better copy for me. Of course of all the things that I really
                    need is
                    > >> to be able to read the village in which she came from and it is
                    very
                    > >> difficult. The lady helping me on the phone tried to read it to me
                    > >> the best that she could and thinks that the village looks like it
                    > >> could be spelled "Elocona" the E could be an "F". it says
                    > >> Czechslovakia hungary. I have always been told that she was from
                    > >> Munkacs. The EI manifest which I believe to be her says she
                    came from
                    > >> Klaczano. I was told several years ago that Klaczano was
                    possibly an
                    > >> old name for Munkacs? or possibly very nearby. Does anyone know who
                    > >> would be familiar with this area? I checked the fuzzy Gazzetter and
                    > >> several other sites but couldnt get anything. I also have played
                    > >> around with scanning them and nothing works. so much of the
                    print is
                    > >> gone.
                    > >>
                    > >> thank you,
                    > >> June

                    48)

                  • gklodzen@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                      A much more likely possibility, Vladimir. Some questions, please. What is
                      the meaning of Urbars, and is this record available? Also, where is the town
                      of Rajec?

                      Many thanks,
                      Eugene

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                        June - (my apologies to the group for the broadcast)

                        I emailed you two messages on Feb 2. One with the scan,one a plain
                        message. I have not heard from you. Please look for them.
                        Bill

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "June McKee" <junemckee@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Bill,
                        >
                        > my program should be able to handel it but possibly something in the
                        system may have blocked it such as pop-up blocker or my norton, I am
                        not sure. Please if you get a chance try to send it over again and let
                        me know when you do so I will know if it got stopped again.

                        > thanks,
                        > June
                      • johnqadam
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                          >>> Also, where is the town of Rajec? <<<

                          Rajec, Slovakia, formerly Rajecz, Trencsén, Hungary 49°05' 18°38'
                        • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                            Dear Eugene,
                            Urbar is an old Tax book. Not available to you. If you can not find Rajec,
                            then may God help you.
                            Vladimir

                            _____

                            konekta@.... <mailto:konekta%40nm.psg.sk> sk writes:

                            Dear Eugene,
                            In available Urbars I found one occurence of
                            Klaczan surname of a serf in 1688, town of Rajec, Estate of Zilina Jesuites.
                            Vladimir

                            (http://music.
                            <http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp0030000
                            00025> aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003000000025
                            48)

                          • Margo Smith
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                              Eugene, Vladimir will probably expand on this reply because he is the expert. In the meantime, the Urbars are the old feudal tax records which list the serf taxpayers. The records from 1770ish are available on microfilm from the Family History Centers. In the list of microfilms, they are Urberi tabellak 1767-1773. The documents are in archaic Slovak and Latin.

                              Also, Richard Marsina and Michal Kusik wrote Urbare feudalnych pastiev na Slovensku (1959). Vol. 1 deals with the 16th century and Vol. 2 with the 17th century. I ordered this on interlibrary loan at my local public library. The information presented varies from year to year.

                              Rajec near Zilina has a nice little restaurant. But it is also very near Rajec Teplice, my favorite spa in all Slovakia. The old building is very ornate. There is live music and dancing on summer evenings. And a small bar next to the pool serves slivovce.

                              Margo

                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 5, 2008
                                Dear Margo,
                                However you turn this around, there is no more info as I already gave.
                                The two books which you ordered were my source. I took all the names from
                                all places from all estates from both books.
                                You will look in the book and find exaclty what I found and nothing more.
                                This is the oldest source of occurences of serf names here.
                                Vladimir

                                _____