LDS in Slovakia

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2000
      For those interested in getting LDS microfilms of Slovak church records: I
      received a very kind reply on my answering machine from a lady named Sylvie
      at the international desk of the LDS headquarters in Salt Lake City. She
      had a lovely accent and is the resident expert on things Czech, Ukrainian,
      and Slovak. Apparently, the records from south-central Slovakia are housed
      in Banska Bystrica. By the way, she pronounced it Bystrika -- is that
      correct?

      She said that they stopped at the letter G but received permission to
      continue filming. So, since I want records from Klenovec and possibly
      Hnus~t'a, -- what a joy to hear someone pronounce that -- I should call back
      in six months.

      I also learned that the on-line Family History catalog is usually months out
      of date, so if you are looking for some place and can't find it, call the
      800 number at Salt Lake City and ask them to find the microfilm number.
      That's 1-800- 453-3860, extension 2881.