Shoah Victims Database

  • slidertechnology
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
      I was always wondering how many people from my wife's hometown in
      Slovakia were victims of the Holocaust and came across this website
      which allows for us to search using location of her town. It was
      surprising to say the least. Around the town there are memorials, the
      synagogue is in ruins and the cemetery has been destroyed by vandals
      so its interesting to put names to those who may have been using these
      places.

      here is the link:

      http://www.yadvashem.org/wps/portal/IY_HON_Welcome

      we'll be traveling on Valentines day to go to Slovakia for a week with
      the family and then returning to Slovakia for Christmas of 2008.

      I'll take more photos to share when i return.

      john
    • jump4toys@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
        THis website at Yad Vashem is only a recorded history of those who have made
        the report to Yad Vashem about family members who perished in the Holocaust.
        It's a good site because you can look by town or by names.
        Sometimes I find that it stalls in the middle, but if you can get it when
        it's working, there's a lot of information on there.
        Daniel

        _http://www.yadvashehttp://wwwhttp://wwwhttp://www._
        (http://www.yadvashem.org/wps/portal/IY_HON_Welcome)

        we'll be traveling on Valentines day to go to Slovakia for a week with
        the family and then returning to Slovakia for Christmas of 2008.

        I'll take more photos to share when i return.

        john

      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
          This is a tough topic to title since it has so many key words that
          could be applied.

          It is a simple question: What happened to the Jewish citizens in my
          ancestral village?

          I finally tied together two databases people posted on the forums and
          did a little research to see how the Holocaust touched on the village
          of Sulin. For me 6,000,000 is simply too large a number to
          comprehend. I had the same problem with the millions of acres of land
          locked up in Alaska; I never calculated how many times larger than
          Ohio the whole area of restricted land is in this one state. The
          $900,000,000 given to the 30,000 natives in the Land Claims settlement
          act was also just a number to me. 6 million victims? That was once
          the whole population of the Greater Cleveland Metropolitan area –
          still meaningless to me. A whole bunch is all I can comprehend. I am
          not being flippant.

          So when I realized these two these data bases might be used together,
          I figured, why not bring it down to a personal level? I knew there
          were some Jewish people in Sulin, but what happened to these people
          that interacted with my family on a regular basis? That I can
          comprehend. So I searched; a relatively simple search when all is
          said and done.

          Here is the record of a local tragedy.

          Go to
          http://www.upn.gov.sk/likvidacie/english/glossary.php
          and enter `search' for your village of interest.

          I entered `Sulin' and came up with

          name of enterprise object of enterprise
          town (village)

          Bergmannová Betty obchod s miešaným tovarom
          Veľký Sulín
          Dávid Bergmann (vdovské právo pre Bettu Bergmannovú) obchod s
          vajcami Veľký Sulín
          Hönig Emanuel obchod s pivom vínom v zatvorených fľašiach
          Malý Sulín

          Then I clicked on each for `details'
          _ _ _
          Published: Úradné noviny, Číslo 49., 13. septembra 1941, Strana 1525
          Owner of the enterpise Name of enterprise: Bergmannová Betty
          Object of enterprise: obchod s miešaným tovarom
          Street: číslo 23
          Town (village): Veľký Sulín
          Number of houses (in 1940)*: 114
          Population (in 1940)*: 729
          District: Stará Ľubovňa
          Nr. of liquidation decree: 49.319-III-3a-41
          _ _ _

          Published: Úradné noviny, Číslo 62., 15. novembra 1941, Strana 1932
          Name of enterprise: Dávid Bergmann (vdovské právo pre Bettu Bergmannovú)
          Object of enterprise: obchod s vajcami
          Town (village): Veľký Sulín
          Number of houses (in 1940)*: 114
          Population (in 1940)*: 729
          District: Stará Ľubovňa
          Nr. of liquidation decree: 60.443/III-3c-1941
          _ _ _

          Published: Úradné noviny, Číslo 67., 20. decembra 1941, Strana 2106
          Name of enterprise: Hönig Emanuel
          Object of enterprise: obchod s pivom vínom v zatvorených fľašiach
          Street: Sulinský Prameň
          Town (village): Malý Sulín
          Number of houses (in 1940)*: 49
          Population (in 1940)*: 306
          District: Stará Ľubovňa
          Nr. of liquidation decree: 60.444/III-3b/1941

          _ _ _

          I then went to the web site http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Holocaust/
          I searched for Sulin … But JewishGen demands membership…

          Then I tried the Shoa Victims Database at
          Thanks to John of jumps 4 toys for the link.
          http://www.yadvashem.org/wps/portal/IY_HON_Welcome and came up with

          Bergmann Moric VELKY SULIN SLO C 1908 Deportation list
          Bergmann Moric VELKY SULIN 1908 List of victims from Auschwitz
          Bergmann Heinrich V. SULIN 1895 Deportation list
          Reichmann Regina MALY SULIN 1893 Deportation list
          Bergmann Adolf VELKY SULIN 1905 List of victims from Auschwitz

          This following information is based on a Deportation list found in the
          Slovakia Holocaust Jewish Names Project, Commenius University of
          Bratislava, Dept. of History, Bratislava, unless otherwise noted.
          Moric Bergmann was born in Velky Sulin Slo C in 1908. During the war
          he was deported with Transport from Zilina to Auschwitz on 17/07/1942.
          Moric perished in the Shoah.
          Moric Bergmann was born in Velky Sulin in 1908 to David and Betty nee
          Herzbrunn. During the war he was in Velky Sulin. Moric perished in
          1942 in Auschwitz, Camp. This information is based on a List of
          victims from Auschwitz found in the Auschwitz Death Registers, The
          State Museum Auschwitz-Birkenau page 9373/1942

          Heinrich Bergmann was born in V. Sulin in 1895. During the war he was
          deported with Transport from Spisska nova ves (sic) to Lublin and
          Izbica on 29/05/1942. Heinrich perished in the Shoah.

          Regina Reichmann was born in Maly Sulin in 1893. During the war she
          was deported with Transport from Presov and Lipiani and Sabinov and
          Giraltovce to Rajowiec lubelski on 23/05/1942. Regina perished in the
          Shoah

          Adolf Bergmann was born in Velky Sulin in 1905 to David and Berta nee
          Herzbrunn. He was married to Regina. During the war he was in Gniazda,
          Czechoslovakia. Adolf perished in 1942 in Auschwitz, Camp. This
          information is based on a List of victims from Auschwitz found in the
          Auschwitz Death Registers, The State Museum Auschwitz-Birkenau page
          8361/1942.

          The Auschwitz victims had their language listed as `German', the
          others as `Slovak'.

          May they rest in peace.
        • treimer@nycap.rr.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
            I found Julius Bergmann in Zakovce (Eisdorf), expropriated in 1940.
            What business is "obchod s miešaným tovarom"?

            Thomas
          • jump4toys@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
              What usually happened to the Jews of a village in Eastern Europe is tragic.
              All were either taken away to concentration camps, or Labor camps for the
              army, or a very few were able to hide. Most perished in the Holocaust. 6
              Million is incomprehensible because it's a phenomenal amount of human beings to
              be murdered, but there were actually 11 MILLION people killed by the Nazis as
              they included gypsies, homosexuals, radicals. The Holocaust was against the
              Jews, but along with them, others were killed too.
              But there's a really good Documentary called PAPER CLIPS about a school back
              east where the teacher taught a class of students who had never heard about
              the Holocaust, and they started a project to collect 6 Million Paper clips.
              It's an amazing effort and you'll get a slight grasp of what 6 million
              is....it's a horror that so many lives were killed this way and I think it was that
              1.5 Million were Children.

              For all you geneologists, imagine that on a Jewish family tree, someone
              survived the Holocaust, but would lose 40 or 50 or 70 relatives murdered in
              concentration camps. It's so hard to imagine.

              _http://www.upn.http://www.upn.http://wwwhttp://wwhtt_
[...]

              District: Stará Ľubov&##<WBR
              Nr. of liquidation decree: 49.319-III-3a-Nr
              _ _ _

              Published: Úradné noviny, Číslo 62., 15. novembra 1941, Strana 1932
              Name of enterprise: Dávid Bergmann (vdovské právo pre Bettu Bergmannovú)
              Object of enterprise: obchod s vajcami
              Town (village): Veľký Sulín
              Number of houses (in 1940)*: 114
              Population (in 1940)*: 729
              District: Stará Ľubov&##<WBR
              Nr. of liquidation decree: 60.443/III-3c-Nr.
              _ _ _

              Published: Úradné noviny, Číslo 67., 20. decembra 1941, Strana 2106
              Name of enterprise: Hönig Emanuel
              Object of enterprise: obchod s pivom vínom v zatvorených fľašiach
              Street: Sulinský Prameň
              Town (village): Malý Sulín
              Number of houses (in 1940)*: 49
              Population (in 1940)*: 306
              District: Stará Ľubov&##<WBR
              Nr. of liquidation decree: 60.444/III-3b/Nr.

              _ _ _

              I then went to the web site _http://www.jewishgehttp://www.jewishttp://www_

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
                I wonder why the Holocaust includes Communists--who themselves killed
                20 to 40 million people in the Soviet Union during their regime
                (estimate by the scholar Robert Conquest). One is born with a given
                ethnicity, or mentally disabled, and it is wrong to be killed for
                something one had no control over. But one joins the Communist Party,
                just as one joins the Nazi Party. That's a voluntary act that can
                carry consequences, especially as joining the Communist Party implied
                supporting the horror of Stalin, whose mass-murders predate Hitler's.
                My tears for "radicals" suffering in Auschwitz are limited.

                But ignorance of Stalin continues in the USA. Most people do not
                realize that there were not one, but two, murderous dictators, and the
                existence of the long mustache explains much of the actions of people
                stuck in Eastern Europe.

                Thomas

                > What usually happened to the Jews of a village in Eastern Europe
                > is tragic.
                > All were either taken away to concentration camps, or Labor camps
                > for the
                > army, or a very few were able to hide. Most perished in the
                > Holocaust. 6
                > Million is incomprehensible because it's a phenomenal amount of
                > human beings to
                > be murdered, but there were actually 11 MILLION people killed by
                > the Nazis as
                > they included gypsies, homosexuals, radicals. The Holocaust was
                > against the
                > Jews, but along with them, others were killed too.
                > But there's a really good Documentary called PAPER CLIPS about a
                > school back
                > east where the teacher taught a class of students who had never
                > heard about
                > the Holocaust, and they started a project to collect 6 Million
                > Paper clips.
                > It's an amazing effort and you'll get a slight grasp of what 6
                > million
                > is....it's a horror that so many lives were killed this way and I
                > think it was that
                > 1.5 Million were Children.
                >
                > For all you geneologists, imagine that on a Jewish family tree,
                > someone
                > survived the Holocaust, but would lose 40 or 50 or 70 relatives
                > murdered in
                > concentration camps. It's so hard to imagine.

              • Nick Holcz
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
                  Thing that amazes me is that there doesn't seem to be many Jewish
                  people on this list. I would have thought they would be looking for
                  family links and attempting to find what exactly happened to their
                  families, as i am.

                  regards
                  Nick
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
                    It doesn't surprise me. I hear from Jewish researchers fairly regularly by
                    private mail and help them as much as I can. There is little that can be
                    offered here, quite honestly. The majority of methods and techniques used
                    by Christians don't apply. Jewish families were often very transient,
                    records are largely missing, moved or incomplete, which requires different
                    research skills. Often learning about their past villages is a very painful
                    and often-avoided activity.

                    Slovakia, unfortunately, within circles, has had a reputation of being
                    anti-Semitic, and the notion persists. It's not talked about much and many
                    Jewish researchers are not interested in even setting foot in Slovakia.
                    Sad.

                    Not a single Jew is to be found in my northeast Slovakia villages today.
                    For my part, when I visited, I asked and received stories about the Jews who
                    once lived there. I recorded the information, took photos of neglected
                    cemeteries posted it to Jewishgen.
                    It was the least I could do. I would encourage travelers to do similarly.

                    Bill

                    Thing that amazes me is that there doesn't seem to be many Jewish
                    people on this list. I would have thought they would be looking for
                    family links and attempting to find what exactly happened to their
                    families, as i am.

                    regards
                    Nick

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • konekta@nm.psg.sk
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
                      Gemischte Ware.
                      Vladimir

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 23, 2008
                        Danke.

                        Thomas

                        > I found Julius Bergmann in Zakovce (Eisdorf), expropriated in
                        > 1940.
                        > What business is "obchod s miešaným tovarom"?
                        >
                        > Thomas

                        > email to
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Paul Paulochik
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
                          If you wonder why, substitute the term "political opponents" for the
                          term "Communists". The broader term would also cover priests,
                          intelligentsia, private citizens or groups vocally objecting to the
                          State, etc etc

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
                            Paul,

                            Still, that's not the same as being killed for being born, instead of
                            for deeds. There is nothing peculiarily holocausty about shooting
                            opponents, dozens of regimes have done that, and still do.
                            Or is being shot for being an opponent of the Nazis somehow worse than
                            being shot for being an opponent of the Communists, or of the
                            Beneshists?

                            Thomas

                            > If you wonder why, substitute the term "political opponents" for the
                            > term "Communists". The broader term would also cover priests,
                            > intelligentsia, private citizens or groups vocally objecting to the
                            > State, etc etc

                          • Paul Paulochik
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
                              Missing the point. The entire episode is referred to as "The Holocaust",
                              no matter who the victims. That's why you see the phrase "Jews killed in
                              the Holocaust", not "Jews killed, i.e., the Holocaust".

                              <mailto:paulpaulochik%40charter.net> charter.net>
                              Date: Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:43 am
                              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                              yahoogroups.com

                              treimer@nycap. <mailto:treimer%40nycap.rr.com> rr.com
                              > Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:35 AM
                              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@ <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                              yahoogroups.com
                              > Subject: Re: [S-R] Jewish Victims in Villages
                              >

                              > I wonder why the Holocaust includes Communists...

                              yahoo.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS/

                              > To unsubscribe from this group, go to
                              > http://www.yahoogro <http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS>
                              ups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or- send blank
                              > email to SLOVAK-ROOTS-
                              <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                              unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

                            • treimer@nycap.rr.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 24, 2008
                                I disagree. The Holocaust is people killed for what they were born as.
                                Political repression is not part of the Holocaust.

                              • jump4toys@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                                  Well, Hitlers plan was to eliminate the Jews, those who were Jewish because
                                  of birth. Even if you were 1/16th Jewish, you were considered a Jew. Along
                                  the way, the others were eliminated too. But the term Holocaust I believe
                                  became associated with this after the war, not during.

                                  I disagree. The Holocaust is people killed for what they were born as.
                                  Political repression is not part of the Holocaust.

                                  > Missing the point. The entire episode is referred to as "The
                                  > Holocaust",no matter who the victims. That's why you see the
                                  > phrase "Jews killed in
                                  > the Holocaust", not "Jews killed, i.e., the Holocaust".

                                  48)

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 25, 2008
                                    OK folks, I am putting the lid on this topic. It's moved too far away
                                    from Slovakia Genealogy. Please discontinue or we will revert to
                                    moderated mode.

                                    Thanks for understanding.

                                    Back to Genealogy!

                                    Bill Tarkulich