Etymology of surnames like "holoshka"

  • David Holoshka
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2008
      Hi,

      Does anyone have a copy of Aleksander Br�ckner's (S�ownik etymologiczny j�zyka polskiego) or a more modern work? I am curious about the etymology of the name and how it relates to similar names like Haluska, Holosko, Holaska, Holuska etc. Note that there is a hook over the "s" pronounced like the English "sh". The name appears in modern day Slovakia, Czech, Belarus very near Poland and Lithuania and possible the Ukraine. It also could be found in Galicia (around 1900). Perhaps someone knows of other information sources on Slavic surnames ?
      Thank you in advance,
      Best Regards,
      Dave Holoshka