Presov Area: Dubrawa

  • jfk_55
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 11, 2008
      surnames: Izarek USA-1913, Ivankevich USA-1913 (Ivankovits), Sabol

      1st post newby
      guidance appreciated

      Are these surnames familiar to anyone?
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 12, 2008
        >>> surnames: Izarek USA-1913, Ivankevich USA-1913 (Ivankovits),
        Sabol <<<

        is also necessary to know the religion.

        I assume that you refer to Dubrava, the northern suburb of Presov.
        There are several other instances.

        The 1869 Hungarian Census is available at LDS/FHC for Dubrava and it
        might be useful to position your families in the village.
        Dubrava (Dúbrava) Film #2162284 Item 1

        go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the film
        will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 12, 2008
          Hello someone? and welcome to the group.

          What is your research objective? Sabol is a very common name. Searching on
          a surname is not the best approach. It's wrought with dead ends and wasted
          time.

          Identifying the village of origin will get you what you want.
          Consider this advice: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
          We are all happy to help guide you in your work. There are many
          knowledgeable and experience researchers here.

          Regards,
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 13, 2008
            This must be the "suburb" on the north side of Presov on the way to Velki Saris which now has a tavern/beergarden named "Stara Dubrava" at the corner of a street named Dubrava. Must have been a separate village before being swallowed up by Presov. Both maternal grandparents came from Dubrava/Velki Saris in 1905/1906 (Josef Lukacs/Paulina Rodak) and never went farther than Greenpoint, Brooklyn after getting off the boat.
            Art
            North Bend WA

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 13, 2008
              Excuse me, this is the first message about Dubrava that I looked at, so I don't know what came previously. Having been to Slovakia five times and use Presov as my base there. I am interested if there might be anything I might contribute to your Dubrava conversation.
              I have a 1:10,000 map of Presov. On it Dubrava is shown in great detail; even the individual buildings. Dubrava is a one road village Dubravska. The house numbers begin at Highway 68. At the north end of town a road at house 99 the road Severna connects Dubrava with the next village closer to Presov, Sidlovec. There is one expection to the one road, a rather short one. At about house 50 a street also labeled Dubravska connect to Severna. Once Dubravska stree leaves town it appears to become a dirt road that connects with the road between Velky Saris and Kanas.
              I have passed by Dubrava numerous times on highway 68 on the way to my paternal ancestrial village of Hromos.
              Also, did you catch the thread of Dick and Loretta Faben? They are trying to locate the origins of his Lukac branch. We have established that they were from my "neck of the woods", around Stara Lubovna and the surrounding villages. They found Lukac orginally in it Hungarian form, Lukaczs.
              Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 14, 2008
                Hallo Michael Mojher

                In your travels through Presov, have you ever noticed the Cemetery Kalvaria ? Most of the Presov Makara's are buried there.
                Near this cemetery on a street near it - " Kalvaria alatt # 199" was the house of the family of grandfather Stefan Makara . The family wanted to sell this property in 1907, according to part of a letter we have. I often wonder, if the house still exists. In which area of Presov would this cemetery be ?
                I am just curious. I looked at Presov via mapquest, sort of !

                Thank You, Christine

              • June McKee
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 14, 2008
                  Hi Michael,

                  In reading your message regarding the map of Presov that you have, would this map by any chance show old village roads and house numbers from 1886? On my gf's birth records in 1886 the house number was 56 Locsei Eperjes. I am pretty sure of the spelling but could be a letter or two off.
                  Thanks,
                  June McKee

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 14, 2008
                    Christine,
                    The Cemetery Kalvaria is very small. It is next to the church Kostel Sv. Kriza (Saint Cross Church) that was built in 1753. I have been there. It is on top of a hill on which a Way of Cross with of 14 small chapels for each station of the cross was built from 1721 to 1893. The graveyard was established along with the church and chapels. Originally, it was used for burying the Calvary donors, later on people from the near-by town quarters of Pod Kalvariou and Za Kalvariou. Kalvaria translates to Calvary.
                    On my detailed map of Presov they show buildings and numbers. The highest number on the street Pod Kalvariou today is 71. That doesn't mean that #199 is not there. Houses often have two numbers, one you can consider to be the street address. The other is the number of which the house was builts in town. It could be your relatives lived in the 199th building built in Presov.
                    The street Pod Kalvariou is the continuation of a major street, Obrancov mieru. The main road through town is Highway E50/18, called Levocska street. On the westside of the Torysa River Obrancov mieru goes south off of Levocska.
                    I will scan this section of the map and e-mail to your address, not S-R.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 14, 2008
                      June,
                      Sorry, the map is of modern Presov.
                      The street name you sent is a Hungarian spelling of the street name, Presov was Eperjes in Hungarian.
                      Since the 1880's was the height of the Maygarization movement Slovak would not have been used. So we are going to have to try and locate a map from that period to see what Locsei Eperjes corresponds to on a modern map. The street index of my map has no street where the word Presov is part of the name.
                      You should also know that in 1887 there was a very large fire in Presov. Depending on the location of 56 Locsei Eperjes and the fire, it could be that #56 was destroyed. And what is there now is not the original.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 14, 2008
                        I have seen mention of old maps of Presov. Does anyone have, or know a
                        source for, a an old map of Kellemes (now L'ubotice) which is close to/connected
                        to Presov? My gr-grandfather, Janos Medvecz, was born 11 Feb 1869 in house 35.
                        This information was received from the archives at Presov on his official
                        birth record.

                        Philip Baer

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 14, 2008
                          Thanks Michael, I thought that your map may be a moderon one but just thought I would ask. I did not know that there was a large fire in 1887. I am going to take a look at somemore of my records from after that date and see what address is listed if any. I would love to be able to locate a map from that time and find out what the name of the street is now if it still exist. In the records the way it is listed is first Eperjes and then under it is the 56 Locsei and street in Hungarian but dont recall right now what that word is.

                          June

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 14, 2008
                            June,
                            Then it is possible that the street name is Locsei. I did go to a Hungarian online dictionary to see if Locsei had a translation. It did not.
                            Philip Baer said he had heard mention of old maps of Presov. If a member can come through with a site for one it would certainly help.
                            If you can get the missing Hungarian word we might have the clue we need for knowing what the modern street name is.
                            My niece-in-law is from Presov. If all else fails I can see if her mother might be able to go to the City Hall and find a map that gives us the information.
                            Michael

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 15, 2008
                              Hi Micheal,
                              I did some looking back and this street name started showing up on my birth records in 1874. Before that year their house numbers just would state Epjeres # 81 and a few other house numbers which go back to 1865 when my g-gparents married.

                              It sure would be wonderful if there is a way to track down an old map from that era. I would hate to inconvience your family to go down to the city hall. If it did come down to that I would diffently pay her for her troubles.

                              Thanks again as usual and have a good day!

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 15, 2008
                                June,
                                The information give about the house numbers makes finding it much easier. Before there were house numbers associated with a street address buildings were given numbers as they were built. So your # 81 probably means that it was the 81st building in Presov.
                                On building the numbering system is a double one; order number/street address. My cousins address is Vydumance 2640/3. I believe I have that correct. If not someone in the group will tell us.
                                What it means is that locating #81 should be fairly easy. With such a low number the building should be very near, if not on the Centrum.
                                I e-mailed the Presov Information Centre and asked if they could tell us where #81 in 1865 is today. If they couldn't, I asked if they could direct me to someone who could.
                                Michael

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 15, 2008
                                  Micheal,

                                  I find that really interesting on how the houses were numbered. Would that also mean that the Locsei 56 was house number 56 built or did it change in the latter years?

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 15, 2008
                                    June,
                                    If I am correct on the numbering system and you found the Locsei 56 address in the records of the 1800's, then I would say that would be correct about it being the 56th built. Unfortunately, I cannot verify when this system began and if during the history of the town they used different systems.
                                    At www.Presov.sk, the town website, which has an English link at the top of the Home page, you can find a fairly long history of Presov. There is a photograph of the fire of 1887. It say that every building in town was either destroyed or damaged. I would say that present day Presov is the result of the rebuilding. It may be that it was also an opportunity to redesign the town. That is where a before and after map would be interesting to compare.
                                    I got a non-deliverable message for my e-mail to the Information Centre. There is an address for City Hall.
                                    I happen to have a cousin who works at City Hall. Unfortunately she doesn't speak English, although her children do. So I may give her a try. This time I'll include the Locsei address also.
                                    Michael

                                  • gklodzen@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 16, 2008
                                      Michael,

                                      I've learned from a good friend who has family living in village Vinne,
                                      focus of my research, that the house numbering system there has changed perhaps
                                      four or more times since the 1880s, so while it MIGHT be the same structure,
                                      the "House Number 72", which I saw in a collection of posted photos of the
                                      village, is probably not one of the buildings in which my ancestors once lived.

                                      And, a part of old Vinne is now likely underneath the man-made recreation
                                      lake created there in the 1960s, perhaps even old numbers 64 and 72. Still,
                                      seeing a present day house numbered 72 in a photo gave me quite a jolt.

                                      Regards,
                                      Eugene Klodzen

                                      In a message dated 1/15/2008 9:23:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                      junemckee@... writes:

                                      Micheal,

                                      I find that really interesting on how the houses were numbered. Would that
                                      also mean that the Locsei 56 was house number 56 built or did it change in the
                                      latter years?
                                      June

                                    • Ron Matviyak
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 16, 2008
                                        Topic Was: [S-R] Re: Presov Area: Dubrawa

                                        Eugene,

                                        You bring up an interesting point and reminded me about an incident on
                                        this visit just completed. I was asked if I had any pictures of the
                                        old Sulinka (Sulin) water spring. This is a nice reversal of the
                                        typical situation where we come from America and ask the villagers if
                                        they have any old photos. I have the impression they want to rebuild
                                        their history and put it in writing as much as we would like to be
                                        able to read these histories. This ties in well with the current
                                        village histories that are being written and published.

                                        So Folks, take another look at those old family photos from the Old
                                        Country with a new eye. If you have one with old buildings or the
                                        village in the background, the village may be interested in hearing
                                        from you. For lack of better ideas I would suggest a 'cold call', an
                                        email to the village administration (many seem to be on the web today)
                                        with a low resolution scan of the photo and an offer. eg. "I have this
                                        photo from ca. 1890 and it appears to show the old main street at that
                                        time. If you are interested in a high resolution scan, let me know.
                                        In exchange I would like to know what additional information you can
                                        tell me about the picture. Reply in Slovak or English, please."

                                        Who knows what treasures e may have hidden in old photo albums until
                                        we try.

                                        Ron

                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, gklodzen@... wrote:

                                        > Michael,
                                        >
                                        > I've learned from a good friend who has family living in village
                                        Vinne, > focus of my research, that the house numbering system there
                                        has changed perhaps > four or more times since the 1880s, so while it
                                        MIGHT be the same structure, > the "House Number 72", which I saw in
                                        a collection of posted photos of the > village, is probably not one
                                        of the buildings in which my ancestors once lived.

                                        > And, a part of old Vinne is now likely underneath the man-made
                                        recreation > lake created there in the 1960s, perhaps even old
                                        numbers 64 and 72. Still, > seeing a present day house numbered 72 in
                                        a photo gave me quite a jolt.

                                        > Regards,
                                        > Eugene Klodzen
                                      • June McKee
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 16, 2008
                                          Micheal,

                                          I have a birth and death record for my g-g's brother and it was in 1888 at still the 56 address so hopefully it did not get totally destroyed in the fire the previous year. I havent as of yet found anymore records after that year.
                                          You are so lucky to have family to be in contact with in Presov, and especially to have one of them working in the City Hall!!
                                          I hope to find family someday there.
                                          Is there a way of searching for possible gravesites that you know of? I have tried to do it online but have had no luck with that. I know that my family was RC but dont have a clue what church they would have gone to as to which cemetary they would have been burried in although I know that all except my g-f and one of his brothers died in Presov. I do know that most of the sites are not taken care of from reading the previous postings from members.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 16, 2008
                                            June,
                                            A good place to start - http://www.cemetery.sk/english/

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 17, 2008
                                              Ron,

                                              An excellent idea. Though I suspect there are rather few "Old Country"
                                              photos out there, just one could be of huge importance to family researchers.
                                              Perhaps a small collection of them could be developed on the Yahoogroups website
                                              that hosts this discussion group. Or possibly on Bill Tarkulich's website.
                                              Anyway, just a thought.

                                              As for those family photos we do have in our possession, the importance of
                                              preserving them can not be overstated. They are all special 'moments in time',
                                              captured on film by those who went before us. We, as their stewards, will of
                                              course pass them on to future generations. In the meantime, however, digital
                                              copies can be shared with as many as want to see them.

                                              Eugene Klodzen

                                              --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@SLOVAK-ROOTSSLO_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com) ,