Re: [S-R] Lukasz Ancestors

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
      Dick and Loretta,
      I went to the website that I sent in the previous message to search the villages in the "hood" for your surnames; Fabian Murczko and Liscsinski.
      It appears that you have an unusual problem. In Stara Lubovna, Hajtovka, Plavnica and Plavec all three surnames are listed. No sursprisingly Murczko is Murcko, the "z" being a Hungarian spelling added letter. In other villages; Chimel'nica - Murckova, Udol - Fabian and Fabianova, Murcko and Murckova.
      The list of names gives male and female forms if there is an unmarried woman or widow living there. In Plavec there was a large concentration of Murckos, 9 of them.
      With so many villages having your surnames the difficulty is going to be finding the one that your relatives were from.
      Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
        Michael, Thank you for your information. Yes, Helene Cincenbeaux
        sent out the original request for us. We know where are other
        ancestors are from...Hajtovka. It is the lukasz we can not find. I
        will definitely look at the web site you suggested.
        Loretta

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
        wrote:

        > Dick and Loretta,
        > I went to the website that I sent in the previous message to
        search the villages in the "hood" for your surnames; Fabian Murczko
        and Liscsinski.
        > It appears that you have an unusual problem. In Stara Lubovna,
        Hajtovka, Plavnica and Plavec all three surnames are listed. No
        sursprisingly Murczko is Murcko, the "z" being a Hungarian spelling
        added letter. In other villages; Chimel'nica - Murckova, Udol -
        Fabian and Fabianova, Murcko and Murckova.
        > The list of names gives male and female forms if there is an
        unmarried woman or widow living there. In Plavec there was a large
        concentration of Murckos, 9 of them.
        > With so many villages having your surnames the difficulty is
        going to be finding the one that your relatives were from.
        > Michael Mojher

      • richardfaben
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
          Hi Karen, Seems we are both in the same predicument. Can't locate our
          Lukaszs. Our grandfather, when he first arrived went to Pa. but do
          not know where. He and his brother Peter eventually settled in
          Ithaca, NY. My aunt believes their sisters remained in Slovakia. Wish
          you the best in your research.
          Loretta

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Karen C <karens_roots@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dick & Loretta, Just wondering where your Lucasz lived in the
          U.S. My husband's great grandmother was a Julia(e) Lukac. I haven't
          had any luck finding anything out about her. She ended up in the
          Johnstown, PA area.

          > Karen

        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
            Dick & Loretta,

            One approach is to use Steve Morris' One Step search of the Ellis
            Island database. I believe if you go to
            http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html
            you will be at his gold form page and can enter variations of the
            family name AND variations of the suspected village name. Put the
            number of results at about the highest you can so they will all be
            listed with the fewest changes of page possible.

            Then it is a matter of looking at the names and choosing the one(s)
            with the dates that match your known information. I like to copy the
            data and sort it on a spreadsheet. Use some wild and unexpected
            combinations as well. My wildest village result for Sulin has been
            Lzepesszulin - Lespes for transcription error of Szepes county and
            szulin for the Hungarian version of Sulin.

            Oh, once you locate the information with Steve Morris, you will have
            to establish an account on Ellis Island pages to access the pages. I
            suggest you copy both the transcribed page and the original as well -
            and look for neighbors they may have traveled with.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "richardfaben" <rfaben1@...> wrote:

            > We are looking for information about our Lukasz ancestors.
            >
            > All of our other ancestors (Fabian, Murczko & Liscsinski) have come
            > from Hajtovka. From documents, we thought Lukaszs were from Stara
            > Lubovna. Viewed LDS films for Udol/ Ujak, Hajtovka, Lubovna and
            > surrounding area and they have not surfaced. I have seen Lukasz
            > families on LDS films in Udavske/Udva but not ours.
            >
            > Our Grandfather: Michael Lukasz DOB 1890
            > His father; Michael Lukasz
            > mother; Kate Lumbru or Dorota Lumpert
            > Brother ; Peter DOB 1893
            > Sisters; Caroline & Julia
            >
            > If anyone has any information, we would be so appreciative.
            >
            > Dick & Loretta Faben

          • Mykolas MWM
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 14, 2009
              Just came across your communications about your Murcko ancestors.My surname is now Mursko...original was Murcko. For future researchers...Murcko can be either a Rusyn (Ruthenian) surname or Slovak. You probably are already aware of this. Slovaks are usually found in Roman Catholic church records and Rusyns are usally found in Greek Catholic church records. The Murcko surname is derived from the Male given name of MURIC. the 'KO' suffix means 'little' ...thus Murcko = 'Little Muric' or 'son of Muric'. Females belonging to the Murcko families would use Murckova. It is not a seperate surname or a mispelling. I've been researching our own Murcko family history for many years and created a Web-site. Just recently began accepting info from other Murcko descendants about their own lineage and will begin posting their histories at their request on our site. For so many years we've all been posting inquires and searching so many sources of info. Everyone has been very eager to share information with each other. Many have been very helpfull. With this in mind I've recently been inviting ALL Murcko descendants to include their ancestors on our page. I hope it will eventually become a valuable source of info for those researching the Murcko surmname. Thus far there are only a couple of other Murcko families who have posted limited info and contact information. Our own Murcko ancestors are mostly Slovak and from Plavec (Palocsa - Hungarian place name)

              http://www.MURCZKO.com

              Mike Mursko

            • Mykolas MWM
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 22, 2010
                My Great grand father Michal Murcko (Mihaly Murczko - on Hungarian documentation) married Dorota Lucavic (Dorthea Lukasz - on Hungarian Documentation) Michal was from nearby Plavec (Palocsa) I can't find anything on Dorota either. The Lukasz surname is quite ellusive!
                They both moved to Solivar/Presov (Tot-Sovar) and later to Lemesany (Lemes) before coming to the U.S. with their children.

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 22, 2010
                  Loretta,
                  My aunt Marie Mojher married a Barney Lucas / Lukasz. According to their grandson he was Polish. In the Slovak 1995 Census is this: Priezvisko LUKASZ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 2×, celkový pocet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách: POPRAD, okr. POPRAD - 1×; VELKÝ SLAVKOV, okr. POPRAD - 1×; There were only two people with that name in all of Slovakia in 1995.
                  There was no listing for Lucavic. The alternatives were Lucovic and Lucanic.
                  I explored one website of all the villages in the area around Plavec for the Lukasz surname. The closest were several Lukacs.
                  Did the documentation on Dorota Lucavic / Dorthea Lukasz say where she was from?
                  Ellis Island had Michal Murczko age 46 arriving 23 Nov 1900 from Lemos. And a Dorothea age 46 with Janos age 16, Pista age 11 and Matyas age 10 arriving 28 Dec. 1901 going to (looks like) E. Derby, Con to join husband Michael.