Re: Lukasz Ancestors

  • richardfaben
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@...>
      wrote:

      > from Hajtovka. From documents, we thought Lukaszs were from Stara
      > Lubovna. Viewed LDS films for Udol/ Ujak, Hajtovka, Lubovna and
      > surrounding area and they have not surfaced. I have seen Lukasz
      > families on LDS films in Udavske/Udva but not ours. <<<
      >
      > While I realize that the 1869 Hungarian Census predates your
      immediate
      > relatives, it could be a guide to where they lived. If you check
      the
      > census films for the relevant villages, you may trip across the
      family
      > names and be guided by that. These films are available at LDS/FHC.

      That is a very good sugestion. I have viewed part of one census film.
      I was hoping someone with Lukasz ancestors could help narrow it down.
      Thank you.

    • Karen C
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
        Hi Dick & Loretta, Just wondering where your Lucasz lived in the U.S. My husband's great grandmother was a Julia(e) Lukac. I haven't had any luck finding anything out about her. She ended up in the Johnstown, PA area.

        Karen

        We are looking for information about our Lukasz ancestors.

        All of our other ancestors (Fabian, Murczko & Liscsinski) have come
        from Hajtovka. From documents, we thought Lukaszs were from Stara
        Lubovna. Viewed LDS films for Udol/ Ujak, Hajtovka, Lubovna and
        surrounding area and they have not surfaced. I have seen Lukasz
        families on LDS films in Udavske/Udva but not ours.

        Our Grandfather: Michael Lukasz DOB 1890
        His father; Michael Lukasz
        mother; Kate Lumbru or Dorota Lumpert
        Brother ; Peter DOB 1893
        Sisters; Caroline & Julia

        If anyone has any information, we would be so appreciative.

        Dick & Loretta Faben

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
          Dear Dick and Loretta,
          In late December there was a thread with the heading "Lublo" that I believe you started. Helene Cincebeaux had requested some information at to what Lublo was. Below is the information that I sent Helene:
          www.cisarik.com/village-0887.html at this page Juraj Cisarik has info on Stara Lubovna. In 1808 and 1863 it was called Lublo. There is an extensive surname list for the town; Lukác Lukacik Lukácová Lukacovský are listed. Speculation: Lukasz would appear to be a Hungarian spelling of the name the "sz" in place of the "c".
          I looked at all the other villages in the "hood" that were listed. Chmel'nica had a Lukacova. Starina had a Lukacovska and a Lukacovsky.
          My paternal ancestral villages are Plavnica and Hromos. So we share our roots in the "hood". During my five trips to Slovakia I have been to all of the villages you mention. On my first trip Vladimir Liscinski from Plavnica helped arrange my trip. Unfortunately, he died a couple of years ago, but his parents still live in Plavnica.
          Glad to assist you in your search.
          Michael Mojher

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
            Dick and Loretta,
            I went to the website that I sent in the previous message to search the villages in the "hood" for your surnames; Fabian Murczko and Liscsinski.
            It appears that you have an unusual problem. In Stara Lubovna, Hajtovka, Plavnica and Plavec all three surnames are listed. No sursprisingly Murczko is Murcko, the "z" being a Hungarian spelling added letter. In other villages; Chimel'nica - Murckova, Udol - Fabian and Fabianova, Murcko and Murckova.
            The list of names gives male and female forms if there is an unmarried woman or widow living there. In Plavec there was a large concentration of Murckos, 9 of them.
            With so many villages having your surnames the difficulty is going to be finding the one that your relatives were from.
            Michael Mojher

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
              Michael, Thank you for your information. Yes, Helene Cincenbeaux
              sent out the original request for us. We know where are other
              ancestors are from...Hajtovka. It is the lukasz we can not find. I
              will definitely look at the web site you suggested.
              Loretta

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
              wrote:

              > Dick and Loretta,
              > I went to the website that I sent in the previous message to
              search the villages in the "hood" for your surnames; Fabian Murczko
              and Liscsinski.
              > It appears that you have an unusual problem. In Stara Lubovna,
              Hajtovka, Plavnica and Plavec all three surnames are listed. No
              sursprisingly Murczko is Murcko, the "z" being a Hungarian spelling
              added letter. In other villages; Chimel'nica - Murckova, Udol -
              Fabian and Fabianova, Murcko and Murckova.
              > The list of names gives male and female forms if there is an
              unmarried woman or widow living there. In Plavec there was a large
              concentration of Murckos, 9 of them.
              > With so many villages having your surnames the difficulty is
              going to be finding the one that your relatives were from.
              > Michael Mojher

            • richardfaben
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
                Hi Karen, Seems we are both in the same predicument. Can't locate our
                Lukaszs. Our grandfather, when he first arrived went to Pa. but do
                not know where. He and his brother Peter eventually settled in
                Ithaca, NY. My aunt believes their sisters remained in Slovakia. Wish
                you the best in your research.
                Loretta

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Karen C <karens_roots@...> wrote:

                > Hi Dick & Loretta, Just wondering where your Lucasz lived in the
                U.S. My husband's great grandmother was a Julia(e) Lukac. I haven't
                had any luck finding anything out about her. She ended up in the
                Johnstown, PA area.

                > Karen

              • Ron Matviyak
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
                  Dick & Loretta,

                  One approach is to use Steve Morris' One Step search of the Ellis
                  Island database. I believe if you go to
                  http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html
                  you will be at his gold form page and can enter variations of the
                  family name AND variations of the suspected village name. Put the
                  number of results at about the highest you can so they will all be
                  listed with the fewest changes of page possible.

                  Then it is a matter of looking at the names and choosing the one(s)
                  with the dates that match your known information. I like to copy the
                  data and sort it on a spreadsheet. Use some wild and unexpected
                  combinations as well. My wildest village result for Sulin has been
                  Lzepesszulin - Lespes for transcription error of Szepes county and
                  szulin for the Hungarian version of Sulin.

                  Oh, once you locate the information with Steve Morris, you will have
                  to establish an account on Ellis Island pages to access the pages. I
                  suggest you copy both the transcribed page and the original as well -
                  and look for neighbors they may have traveled with.

                  Ron

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "richardfaben" <rfaben1@...> wrote:

                  > We are looking for information about our Lukasz ancestors.
                  >
                  > All of our other ancestors (Fabian, Murczko & Liscsinski) have come
                  > from Hajtovka. From documents, we thought Lukaszs were from Stara
                  > Lubovna. Viewed LDS films for Udol/ Ujak, Hajtovka, Lubovna and
                  > surrounding area and they have not surfaced. I have seen Lukasz
                  > families on LDS films in Udavske/Udva but not ours.
                  >
                  > Our Grandfather: Michael Lukasz DOB 1890
                  > His father; Michael Lukasz
                  > mother; Kate Lumbru or Dorota Lumpert
                  > Brother ; Peter DOB 1893
                  > Sisters; Caroline & Julia
                  >
                  > If anyone has any information, we would be so appreciative.
                  >
                  > Dick & Loretta Faben

                • Mykolas MWM
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 14, 2009
                    Just came across your communications about your Murcko ancestors.My surname is now Mursko...original was Murcko. For future researchers...Murcko can be either a Rusyn (Ruthenian) surname or Slovak. You probably are already aware of this. Slovaks are usually found in Roman Catholic church records and Rusyns are usally found in Greek Catholic church records. The Murcko surname is derived from the Male given name of MURIC. the 'KO' suffix means 'little' ...thus Murcko = 'Little Muric' or 'son of Muric'. Females belonging to the Murcko families would use Murckova. It is not a seperate surname or a mispelling. I've been researching our own Murcko family history for many years and created a Web-site. Just recently began accepting info from other Murcko descendants about their own lineage and will begin posting their histories at their request on our site. For so many years we've all been posting inquires and searching so many sources of info. Everyone has been very eager to share information with each other. Many have been very helpfull. With this in mind I've recently been inviting ALL Murcko descendants to include their ancestors on our page. I hope it will eventually become a valuable source of info for those researching the Murcko surmname. Thus far there are only a couple of other Murcko families who have posted limited info and contact information. Our own Murcko ancestors are mostly Slovak and from Plavec (Palocsa - Hungarian place name)

                    http://www.MURCZKO.com

                    Mike Mursko

                  • Mykolas MWM
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 22, 2010
                      My Great grand father Michal Murcko (Mihaly Murczko - on Hungarian documentation) married Dorota Lucavic (Dorthea Lukasz - on Hungarian Documentation) Michal was from nearby Plavec (Palocsa) I can't find anything on Dorota either. The Lukasz surname is quite ellusive!
                      They both moved to Solivar/Presov (Tot-Sovar) and later to Lemesany (Lemes) before coming to the U.S. with their children.

                    • Michael Mojher
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 22, 2010
                        Loretta,
                        My aunt Marie Mojher married a Barney Lucas / Lukasz. According to their grandson he was Polish. In the Slovak 1995 Census is this: Priezvisko LUKASZ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 2×, celkový pocet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách: POPRAD, okr. POPRAD - 1×; VELKÝ SLAVKOV, okr. POPRAD - 1×; There were only two people with that name in all of Slovakia in 1995.
                        There was no listing for Lucavic. The alternatives were Lucovic and Lucanic.
                        I explored one website of all the villages in the area around Plavec for the Lukasz surname. The closest were several Lukacs.
                        Did the documentation on Dorota Lucavic / Dorthea Lukasz say where she was from?
                        Ellis Island had Michal Murczko age 46 arriving 23 Nov 1900 from Lemos. And a Dorothea age 46 with Janos age 16, Pista age 11 and Matyas age 10 arriving 28 Dec. 1901 going to (looks like) E. Derby, Con to join husband Michael.