[S-R] Re: Holiday Greetings

  • hyperlexiadaddy
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 3, 2008
      Winter in Slovakia...very nice.
      Don't miss the ceresnovica (cherry brandy)...
      it's nice as well.
      Dave Jenco
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
      wrote:

      > Ron,
      > The one season I haven't done in Slovakia is winter during my
      five trips. My aversion to snow was driven in by Mother who said the
      best thing that ever happened to her was moving from PA to CA. In my
      younger years I was torn between snow skiing and scuba diving. I
      choose diving; no crowds and it could be done year round. Although as
      California's like to say, "Ski in the morning, surf in the
      afternoon." Also being raised in the Delta most of our recreation was
      water oriented.
      > I know last year was not a good snow year in Slovakia. If I
      recall correctly they didn't get their first major storm until late
      January or early February. I should go online a check out the live
      cams from the different resorts there and see how things are this
      year.
      > I haven't had any of the apricot brandy. I'll have to look into
      that on my next trip. The homemade slivovitz, plum brandy, is
      superior to the commercial stuff. Besides they now limit it to 104
      proof. The homemade stuff is usually higher.
      > The natural caldera's swimming pool at Visny Ruzbachy should be
      nice for what's aching after skiing.
      > When you get home I would like to hear from you. I'm always
      interested in hearing what you thought of Slovakia.
      > Michael

      Ruzbachy for
      > us surviors. For me it is more important who I am with rather than
      > where I am at. In Alaska I can chose any degree of difficulty. I
      have
      > patrolled a hill on the air force base about as gentle as Lubovna,
      > easily on my cross country skis. The joy was in seeing so many
      > smiling faces today.
      >
      > Ron
      > PS Serious ambitions I hold for Donalvy or Jasna someday. The High
      > Tatras are reputed to have the alpine beauty but not the great
      snow.

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Ron,
      > > I couldn't help but write you since you are in my "hood" in
      > Slovakia. My ancestral villages are Plavnica and Hromos. They are
      > within five miles east of Lubovna Kupele. On my first trip we
      used the
      > hotel at the Lubovna Kupele as our base. In 2001 we paid the
      > equivalent of $15 for a "suite". Which was a living room unit and
      > bedroom unit. Between the Kupele and the western edge of the High
      > Tatras there are 23 ski resorts. My skiing relatives think of the
      > Kupele as the "bunny" slope. You can work your way to the Olympic
      > level resorts at the High Tatras. As you gain in altitude the snow
      > conditions should improve.
      > > Michael Mojher

      Lubovna
      > > Kupella area. Had two young cousins who waited out teh
      expereince and
      > > a young snow boarder along trying it for the first time in a
      ski area.
      > > He was part of a group who put together an internet movie of
      boarding
      > > in some area of S. Lubovna. I will try to get the web location
      > > share. It was pretty neat at coming this far and haivng the
      family
      > > name and village recognized on the hill.
      > >
      > > I am a bit spoiled with skiing conditions in Alaska and work
      with the
      > > Nordic Ski patrol with back country and cross country skiing.
      It felt
      > > strange to put on alpine equipment after years of telemark. God
      meant
      > > skiing to be done with free heels!
      > >
      > > Snow is adequate but nothing to brag about = but then you know
      skiing
      > > starts at good and only gets better.
      > >
      > > Maybe someday will get to the east coast to try some of your
      snow.

      > > All my best =
      > >
      > > and a Happy New Year to all!
      > >
      > > Ron
      > >
      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Tarkulich"
      > > <bill.tarkulich@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Merry Christmas from Metro Boston. We have about 10" of snow
      > > remaining with
      > > > an ice crust atop. I'm lovin' it. I enjoy winter sports,
      skiing
      > > being my
      > > > favorite. I grew up way, way north of hear and learned to
      enjoy the
      > > > winters. I've skied four times so for in New England, VT, NH
      and
      > > MA. It's
      > > > just lovely outside. I've taken some of the most wonderful
      > photos this
      > > > fall.
      > > > Genealogy gets put on hold while I bop up and down the hills.
      Sorry