Re: [S-R] Interesting Link To Cleveland

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
      Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first -- so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give that one a shot as well.

      Caye

      Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

      I have included a certified copy of George and Maria Pilats Marriage
      certificate I have obtained through Family ties. After the death of
      their children they returned to Europe.

      They thought their luck was bad.

      Only to once again return to Cleveland in 1914 with My Grand
      Mother(Child #4) ,war brewing.

      I know where St .Theodoseus is But St. John's parish was replaced by the
      I-90 Inner Belt in Cleveland. The Parma Eparchy is where I may also
      possibly inquire.

      I may have to walk the grounds...But that is pretty much all the
      research I have done in this area of my Family.

      Thanks for the lead though! Check the photos again,interesting stuff!
      Dennis

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna" <ddhalusker@...>
      wrote:

      > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
      > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
      >
      > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
      > locate birth or death certificates either.
      >
      > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
      > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
      > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
      >
      > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
      > G-Grand Father Burried there.
      >
      > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
      >
      > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
      such
      > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
      > the Photo section
      >
      > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
      > live in a suburb of
      > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
      history
      > of Cleveland
      > > and it's ancestors.
      > >
      > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
      > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
      > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
      > > searching in Cleveland.

    • vchromoho
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

        > Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first --
        so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian
        Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give
        that one a shot as well.

        > Caye

        Caye, wouldn't they have been buried at St. Theodosius Cemetery in
        Brooklyn? It's a large cemetery and most of the people in it were
        Rusyns, and Orthodox. (There's other Orthodox people buried there,
        too, of course.)
      • Dennis and Donna
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
          Thank you everyone! This is a Great site.So much time I have saved by
          stopping here first.

          Thanks again,Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "vchromoho" <rcuster@...> wrote:

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick ccaswick@ wrote:
          > >

          > > Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first --
          > so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian
          > Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give
          > that one a shot as well.
          > >

          > > Caye
          >
          > Caye, wouldn't they have been buried at St. Theodosius Cemetery in
          > Brooklyn? It's a large cemetery and most of the people in it were
          > Rusyns, and Orthodox. (There's other Orthodox people buried there,
          > too, of course.)

        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
            Sure, that's also an option, but Dennis mentioned he was going to check that one, so I didn't think he needed any more info on ST.