RE: [S-R] Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
      It�s hard to tell what you�ve tried.

      I�ve checked 1908-forward; nothing there.

      For death records, the next step would be the Cuyahoga County Archives:
      HYPERLINK "mailto:archive@..."archive@... I
      think for the years you�re looking at [1904-1907] the card index is
      alphabetical by year, so it wouldn�t be a hard lookup.

      You can also call the Catholic Cemetery Association. (216) 641-7575 They
      handle all Catholic Cemetery requests [Including St. John�s] Last time I
      called they took 3 over-the-phone requests at no charge. Ideally, they like
      to have the name of the cemetery; the name of the individual and the year of
      death; but they�re reasonable people.

      Jim

      _____

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
        I have included a certified copy of George and Maria Pilats Marriage
        certificate I have obtained through Family ties. After the death of
        their children they returned to Europe.

        They thought their luck was bad.

        Only to once again return to Cleveland in 1914 with My Grand
        Mother(Child #4) ,war brewing.

        I know where St .Theodoseus is But St. John's parish was replaced by the
        I-90 Inner Belt in Cleveland. The Parma Eparchy is where I may also
        possibly inquire.

        I may have to walk the grounds...But that is pretty much all the
        research I have done in this area of my Family.

        Thanks for the lead though! Check the photos again,interesting stuff!
        Dennis

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna" <ddhalusker@...>
        wrote:

        > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
        > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
        >
        > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
        > locate birth or death certificates either.
        >
        > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
        > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
        > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
        >
        > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
        > G-Grand Father Burried there.
        >
        > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
        >
        > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
        such
        > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
        > the Photo section
        >
        > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
        > live in a suburb of
        > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
        history
        > of Cleveland
        > > and it's ancestors.
        > >
        > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
        > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
        > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
        > > searching in Cleveland.

      • vchromoho
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
          I think most people from St. John's Rusyn Greek Catholic Church on
          Scoville Ave. were buried in Calvary Cemetery, at least until the
          1st World War, if not actually the 2nd. I think that's when Holy
          Ghost Cemetery in Parma transitioned from being just a parish
          cemetery (of Holy Ghost Rusyn Greek Catholic Church in Tremont) to a
          regional Rusyn Greek Catholic cemetery.

          I was visiting friends in metro Cleveland whose grandparents are
          buried in Calvary Cemetery and I asked them to take me there, but
          they were afraid to visit it even during the day!

          <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

          > I have included a certified copy of George and Maria Pilats
          Marriage
          > certificate I have obtained through Family ties. After the death of
          > their children they returned to Europe.
          >
          > They thought their luck was bad.
          >
          > Only to once again return to Cleveland in 1914 with My Grand
          > Mother(Child #4) ,war brewing.
          >
          > I know where St .Theodoseus is But St. John's parish was replaced
          by the
          > I-90 Inner Belt in Cleveland. The Parma Eparchy is where I may also
          > possibly inquire.
          >
          > I may have to walk the grounds...But that is pretty much all the
          > research I have done in this area of my Family.
          >
          > Thanks for the lead though! Check the photos again,interesting
          stuff!
          > Dennis
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna"
          <ddhalusker@>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents
          lost ,ages
          > > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
          > >
          > > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can
          not
          > > locate birth or death certificates either.
          > >
          > > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some
          near
          > > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
          > > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
          > >
          > > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
          > > G-Grand Father Burried there.
          > >
          > > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael
          Pilat.

          > > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges
          and
          > such
          > > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I
          posted in
          > > the Photo section
          > >
          > > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to
          Cleveland.
          > > live in a suburb of
          > > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
          > history
          > > of Cleveland
          > > > and it's ancestors.
          > > >
          > > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
          > > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
          > > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help
          some
          > > > searching in Cleveland.
        • Caye Caswick
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
            Dennis:

            Here's a bit of Cleveland history on St. John's ...

            http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC

            http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=SJTBBRC

            http://www.slovakinstitute.com/Cleveland.htm

            Since Lakeview Cemetery is so old, you might want to give them a shot, they probably could lead you in the right direction.

            Caye

            wrote:

            > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
            > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
            >
            > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
            > locate birth or death certificates either.
            >
            > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
            > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
            > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
            >
            > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
            > G-Grand Father Burried there.
            >
            > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
            >
            > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
            such
            > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
            > the Photo section
            >
            > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
            > live in a suburb of
            > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
            history
            > of Cleveland
            > > and it's ancestors.
            > >
            > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
            > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
            > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
            > > searching in Cleveland.

          • Caye Caswick
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
              Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first -- so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give that one a shot as well.

              Caye

              wrote:

              > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
              > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
              >
              > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
              > locate birth or death certificates either.
              >
              > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
              > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
              > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
              >
              > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
              > G-Grand Father Burried there.
              >
              > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
              >
              > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
              such
              > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
              > the Photo section
              >
              > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
              > live in a suburb of
              > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
              history
              > of Cleveland
              > > and it's ancestors.
              > >
              > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
              > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
              > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
              > > searching in Cleveland.

            • vchromoho
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                > Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first --
                so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian
                Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give
                that one a shot as well.

                > Caye

                Caye, wouldn't they have been buried at St. Theodosius Cemetery in
                Brooklyn? It's a large cemetery and most of the people in it were
                Rusyns, and Orthodox. (There's other Orthodox people buried there,
                too, of course.)
              • Dennis and Donna
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                  Thank you everyone! This is a Great site.So much time I have saved by
                  stopping here first.

                  Thanks again,Dennis

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "vchromoho" <rcuster@...> wrote:

                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick ccaswick@ wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first --
                  > so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian
                  > Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give
                  > that one a shot as well.
                  > >

                  > > Caye
                  >
                  > Caye, wouldn't they have been buried at St. Theodosius Cemetery in
                  > Brooklyn? It's a large cemetery and most of the people in it were
                  > Rusyns, and Orthodox. (There's other Orthodox people buried there,
                  > too, of course.)

                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
                    Sure, that's also an option, but Dennis mentioned he was going to check that one, so I didn't think he needed any more info on ST.