polite request

  • J Michutka
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
      I hope no one will take this personally, I don't mean to be critical
      at all! But when posting a link, it would be helpful to include a
      sentence or two describing what it links to and why we might find it
      interesting or useful. Thanks!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...
    • Dennis and Donna
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
        Sorry all but as I mentioned ,The link may help some members who may be
        interested in The history of the Byzantine Catholic Faith in Cleveland
        Ohio.

        Knowing the Churches and their individual histories may help in locating
        records for their research.

        I should have elaborated further instead of blowing that particular stop
        sign!

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

        > I hope no one will take this personally, I don't mean to be critical
        > at all! But when posting a link, it would be helpful to include a
        > sentence or two describing what it links to and why we might find it
        > interesting or useful. Thanks!
        >
        > Julie Michutka
        > jmm@...

      • karen pivowar
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
          Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland. I live in a suburb of
          Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the history of Cleveland
          and it's ancestors.

          Dennis and Donna <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
          http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
          <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
          searching in Cleveland.

        • Dennis and Donna
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
            I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
            aprox.4-2-and a few months old.

            I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
            locate birth or death certificates either.

            St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
            where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
            Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.

            I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
            G-Grand Father Burried there.

            Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.

            The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and such
            approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
            the Photo section

            . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar <kpivowar@...>
            wrote:

            > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland. I
            live in a suburb of
            > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the history
            of Cleveland
            > and it's ancestors.
            >
            > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@... wrote:
            > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
            > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
            > searching in Cleveland.

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
              It�s hard to tell what you�ve tried.

              I�ve checked 1908-forward; nothing there.

              For death records, the next step would be the Cuyahoga County Archives:
              HYPERLINK "mailto:archive@..."archive@... I
              think for the years you�re looking at [1904-1907] the card index is
              alphabetical by year, so it wouldn�t be a hard lookup.

              You can also call the Catholic Cemetery Association. (216) 641-7575 They
              handle all Catholic Cemetery requests [Including St. John�s] Last time I
              called they took 3 over-the-phone requests at no charge. Ideally, they like
              to have the name of the cemetery; the name of the individual and the year of
              death; but they�re reasonable people.

              Jim

              _____

              I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
              aprox.4-2-and a few months old.

              I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
              locate birth or death certificates either.

              St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
              where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
              Pilat:Anna,Mary,-Helen.

              I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
              G-Grand Father Burried there.

              Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.

              The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and such
              approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
              the Photo section

              . --- In HYPERLINK
              "mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com"SLOVAK-ROOTS@-yahoogroups.-com, karen
              pivowar <kpivowar@..-.>
              wrote:

              > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland. I
              live in a suburb of
              > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the history
              of Cleveland
              > and it's ancestors.
              >
              > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@.-.. wrote:
              > HYPERLINK
              "http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC"http://ech.case.-edu/ech-cgi/
              -article.pl?-id=BRC
              > <HYPERLINK
              "http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC"http://ech.case.-edu/ech-cgi/
              -article.pl?-id=BRC> This may help some
              > searching in Cleveland.

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              11:29 AM

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              11:29 AM

            • Dennis and Donna
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                I have included a certified copy of George and Maria Pilats Marriage
                certificate I have obtained through Family ties. After the death of
                their children they returned to Europe.

                They thought their luck was bad.

                Only to once again return to Cleveland in 1914 with My Grand
                Mother(Child #4) ,war brewing.

                I know where St .Theodoseus is But St. John's parish was replaced by the
                I-90 Inner Belt in Cleveland. The Parma Eparchy is where I may also
                possibly inquire.

                I may have to walk the grounds...But that is pretty much all the
                research I have done in this area of my Family.

                Thanks for the lead though! Check the photos again,interesting stuff!
                Dennis

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna" <ddhalusker@...>
                wrote:

                > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
                > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
                >
                > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
                > locate birth or death certificates either.
                >
                > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
                > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
                > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
                >
                > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
                > G-Grand Father Burried there.
                >
                > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
                >
                > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
                such
                > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
                > the Photo section
                >
                > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
                > live in a suburb of
                > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
                history
                > of Cleveland
                > > and it's ancestors.
                > >
                > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
                > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
                > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
                > > searching in Cleveland.

              • vchromoho
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                  I think most people from St. John's Rusyn Greek Catholic Church on
                  Scoville Ave. were buried in Calvary Cemetery, at least until the
                  1st World War, if not actually the 2nd. I think that's when Holy
                  Ghost Cemetery in Parma transitioned from being just a parish
                  cemetery (of Holy Ghost Rusyn Greek Catholic Church in Tremont) to a
                  regional Rusyn Greek Catholic cemetery.

                  I was visiting friends in metro Cleveland whose grandparents are
                  buried in Calvary Cemetery and I asked them to take me there, but
                  they were afraid to visit it even during the day!

                  <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                  > I have included a certified copy of George and Maria Pilats
                  Marriage
                  > certificate I have obtained through Family ties. After the death of
                  > their children they returned to Europe.
                  >
                  > They thought their luck was bad.
                  >
                  > Only to once again return to Cleveland in 1914 with My Grand
                  > Mother(Child #4) ,war brewing.
                  >
                  > I know where St .Theodoseus is But St. John's parish was replaced
                  by the
                  > I-90 Inner Belt in Cleveland. The Parma Eparchy is where I may also
                  > possibly inquire.
                  >
                  > I may have to walk the grounds...But that is pretty much all the
                  > research I have done in this area of my Family.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the lead though! Check the photos again,interesting
                  stuff!
                  > Dennis
                  >

                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna"
                  <ddhalusker@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >

                  > > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents
                  lost ,ages
                  > > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
                  > >
                  > > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can
                  not
                  > > locate birth or death certificates either.
                  > >
                  > > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some
                  near
                  > > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
                  > > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
                  > >
                  > > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
                  > > G-Grand Father Burried there.
                  > >
                  > > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael
                  Pilat.

                  > > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges
                  and
                  > such
                  > > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I
                  posted in
                  > > the Photo section
                  > >
                  > > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to
                  Cleveland.
                  > > live in a suburb of
                  > > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
                  > history
                  > > of Cleveland
                  > > > and it's ancestors.
                  > > >
                  > > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
                  > > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
                  > > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help
                  some
                  > > > searching in Cleveland.
                • Caye Caswick
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Dennis:

                    Here's a bit of Cleveland history on St. John's ...

                    http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC

                    http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=SJTBBRC

                    http://www.slovakinstitute.com/Cleveland.htm

                    Since Lakeview Cemetery is so old, you might want to give them a shot, they probably could lead you in the right direction.

                    Caye

                    wrote:

                    > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
                    > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
                    >
                    > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
                    > locate birth or death certificates either.
                    >
                    > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
                    > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
                    > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
                    >
                    > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
                    > G-Grand Father Burried there.
                    >
                    > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
                    >
                    > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
                    such
                    > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
                    > the Photo section
                    >
                    > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
                    > live in a suburb of
                    > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
                    history
                    > of Cleveland
                    > > and it's ancestors.
                    > >
                    > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
                    > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
                    > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
                    > > searching in Cleveland.

                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first -- so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give that one a shot as well.

                      Caye

                      wrote:

                      > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
                      > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
                      >
                      > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
                      > locate birth or death certificates either.
                      >
                      > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
                      > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
                      > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
                      >
                      > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
                      > G-Grand Father Burried there.
                      >
                      > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
                      >
                      > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
                      such
                      > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
                      > the Photo section
                      >
                      > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
                      > live in a suburb of
                      > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
                      history
                      > of Cleveland
                      > > and it's ancestors.
                      > >
                      > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
                      > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
                      > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
                      > > searching in Cleveland.

                    • vchromoho
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                        > Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first --
                        so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian
                        Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give
                        that one a shot as well.

                        > Caye

                        Caye, wouldn't they have been buried at St. Theodosius Cemetery in
                        Brooklyn? It's a large cemetery and most of the people in it were
                        Rusyns, and Orthodox. (There's other Orthodox people buried there,
                        too, of course.)
                      • Dennis and Donna
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                          Thank you everyone! This is a Great site.So much time I have saved by
                          stopping here first.

                          Thanks again,Dennis

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "vchromoho" <rcuster@...> wrote:

                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick ccaswick@ wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first --
                          > so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian
                          > Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give
                          > that one a shot as well.
                          > >

                          > > Caye
                          >
                          > Caye, wouldn't they have been buried at St. Theodosius Cemetery in
                          > Brooklyn? It's a large cemetery and most of the people in it were
                          > Rusyns, and Orthodox. (There's other Orthodox people buried there,
                          > too, of course.)

                        • Caye Caswick
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
                            Sure, that's also an option, but Dennis mentioned he was going to check that one, so I didn't think he needed any more info on ST.