Interesting Link To Cleveland

  • Dennis and Donna
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
      http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
      <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
      searching in Cleveland.

    • J Michutka
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
        I hope no one will take this personally, I don't mean to be critical
        at all! But when posting a link, it would be helpful to include a
        sentence or two describing what it links to and why we might find it
        interesting or useful. Thanks!

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • Dennis and Donna
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
          Sorry all but as I mentioned ,The link may help some members who may be
          interested in The history of the Byzantine Catholic Faith in Cleveland
          Ohio.

          Knowing the Churches and their individual histories may help in locating
          records for their research.

          I should have elaborated further instead of blowing that particular stop
          sign!

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, J Michutka <jmm@...> wrote:

          > I hope no one will take this personally, I don't mean to be critical
          > at all! But when posting a link, it would be helpful to include a
          > sentence or two describing what it links to and why we might find it
          > interesting or useful. Thanks!
          >
          > Julie Michutka
          > jmm@...

        • karen pivowar
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
            Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland. I live in a suburb of
            Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the history of Cleveland
            and it's ancestors.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
              I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
              aprox.4-2-and a few months old.

              I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
              locate birth or death certificates either.

              St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
              where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
              Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.

              I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
              G-Grand Father Burried there.

              Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.

              The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and such
              approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
              the Photo section

              . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar <kpivowar@...>
              wrote:

              > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland. I
              live in a suburb of
              > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the history
              of Cleveland
              > and it's ancestors.
              >
              > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@... wrote:
              > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
              > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
              > searching in Cleveland.

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                It�s hard to tell what you�ve tried.

                I�ve checked 1908-forward; nothing there.

                For death records, the next step would be the Cuyahoga County Archives:
                HYPERLINK "mailto:archive@..."archive@... I
                think for the years you�re looking at [1904-1907] the card index is
                alphabetical by year, so it wouldn�t be a hard lookup.

                You can also call the Catholic Cemetery Association. (216) 641-7575 They
                handle all Catholic Cemetery requests [Including St. John�s] Last time I
                called they took 3 over-the-phone requests at no charge. Ideally, they like
                to have the name of the cemetery; the name of the individual and the year of
                death; but they�re reasonable people.

                Jim

                _____

                I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
                aprox.4-2-and a few months old.

                I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
                locate birth or death certificates either.

                St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
                where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
                Pilat:Anna,Mary,-Helen.

                I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
                G-Grand Father Burried there.

                Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.

                The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and such
                approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
                the Photo section

                . --- In HYPERLINK
                "mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com"SLOVAK-ROOTS@-yahoogroups.-com, karen
                pivowar <kpivowar@..-.>
                wrote:

                > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland. I
                live in a suburb of
                > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the history
                of Cleveland
                > and it's ancestors.
                >
                > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@.-.. wrote:
                > HYPERLINK
                "http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC"http://ech.case.-edu/ech-cgi/
                -article.pl?-id=BRC
                > <HYPERLINK
                "http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC"http://ech.case.-edu/ech-cgi/
                -article.pl?-id=BRC> This may help some
                > searching in Cleveland.

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                11:29 AM

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                11:29 AM

              • Dennis and Donna
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                  I have included a certified copy of George and Maria Pilats Marriage
                  certificate I have obtained through Family ties. After the death of
                  their children they returned to Europe.

                  They thought their luck was bad.

                  Only to once again return to Cleveland in 1914 with My Grand
                  Mother(Child #4) ,war brewing.

                  I know where St .Theodoseus is But St. John's parish was replaced by the
                  I-90 Inner Belt in Cleveland. The Parma Eparchy is where I may also
                  possibly inquire.

                  I may have to walk the grounds...But that is pretty much all the
                  research I have done in this area of my Family.

                  Thanks for the lead though! Check the photos again,interesting stuff!
                  Dennis

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna" <ddhalusker@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
                  > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
                  >
                  > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
                  > locate birth or death certificates either.
                  >
                  > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
                  > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
                  > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
                  >
                  > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
                  > G-Grand Father Burried there.
                  >
                  > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
                  >
                  > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
                  such
                  > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
                  > the Photo section
                  >
                  > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
                  > live in a suburb of
                  > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
                  history
                  > of Cleveland
                  > > and it's ancestors.
                  > >
                  > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
                  > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
                  > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
                  > > searching in Cleveland.

                • vchromoho
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                    I think most people from St. John's Rusyn Greek Catholic Church on
                    Scoville Ave. were buried in Calvary Cemetery, at least until the
                    1st World War, if not actually the 2nd. I think that's when Holy
                    Ghost Cemetery in Parma transitioned from being just a parish
                    cemetery (of Holy Ghost Rusyn Greek Catholic Church in Tremont) to a
                    regional Rusyn Greek Catholic cemetery.

                    I was visiting friends in metro Cleveland whose grandparents are
                    buried in Calvary Cemetery and I asked them to take me there, but
                    they were afraid to visit it even during the day!

                    <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                    > I have included a certified copy of George and Maria Pilats
                    Marriage
                    > certificate I have obtained through Family ties. After the death of
                    > their children they returned to Europe.
                    >
                    > They thought their luck was bad.
                    >
                    > Only to once again return to Cleveland in 1914 with My Grand
                    > Mother(Child #4) ,war brewing.
                    >
                    > I know where St .Theodoseus is But St. John's parish was replaced
                    by the
                    > I-90 Inner Belt in Cleveland. The Parma Eparchy is where I may also
                    > possibly inquire.
                    >
                    > I may have to walk the grounds...But that is pretty much all the
                    > research I have done in this area of my Family.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the lead though! Check the photos again,interesting
                    stuff!
                    > Dennis
                    >

                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis and Donna"
                    <ddhalusker@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents
                    lost ,ages
                    > > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
                    > >
                    > > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can
                    not
                    > > locate birth or death certificates either.
                    > >
                    > > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some
                    near
                    > > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
                    > > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
                    > >
                    > > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
                    > > G-Grand Father Burried there.
                    > >
                    > > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael
                    Pilat.

                    > > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges
                    and
                    > such
                    > > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I
                    posted in
                    > > the Photo section
                    > >
                    > > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to
                    Cleveland.
                    > > live in a suburb of
                    > > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
                    > history
                    > > of Cleveland
                    > > > and it's ancestors.
                    > > >
                    > > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
                    > > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
                    > > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help
                    some
                    > > > searching in Cleveland.
                  • Caye Caswick
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Dennis:

                      Here's a bit of Cleveland history on St. John's ...

                      http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC

                      http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=SJTBBRC

                      http://www.slovakinstitute.com/Cleveland.htm

                      Since Lakeview Cemetery is so old, you might want to give them a shot, they probably could lead you in the right direction.

                      Caye

                      wrote:

                      > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
                      > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
                      >
                      > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
                      > locate birth or death certificates either.
                      >
                      > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
                      > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
                      > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
                      >
                      > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
                      > G-Grand Father Burried there.
                      >
                      > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
                      >
                      > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
                      such
                      > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
                      > the Photo section
                      >
                      > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
                      > live in a suburb of
                      > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
                      history
                      > of Cleveland
                      > > and it's ancestors.
                      > >
                      > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
                      > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
                      > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
                      > > searching in Cleveland.

                    • Caye Caswick
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                        Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first -- so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give that one a shot as well.

                        Caye

                        wrote:

                        > I have been searching for 3 children my G-Grand Parents lost ,ages
                        > aprox.4-2-and a few months old.
                        >
                        > I am hoping they were buried at St.Theodoseus or St.Johns. I can not
                        > locate birth or death certificates either.
                        >
                        > St.John's has moved but the cemetary surely must still be some near
                        > where the church was located. They died around 1904-10.surname
                        > Pilat:Anna,Mary,Helen.
                        >
                        > I am leaning more towards St.Theodoseus as I have a Brother to My
                        > G-Grand Father Burried there.
                        >
                        > Every one came over and lived with him at #12Hill St. Michael Pilat.
                        >
                        > The neighborhood is gone now as that is the location of bridges and
                        such
                        > approaching the Terminal Tower.See the Cleveland Directory I posted in
                        > the Photo section
                        >
                        > . --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, karen pivowar kpivowar@
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thank you so much for this information about the link to Cleveland.
                        > live in a suburb of
                        > > Cleveland and didn't know it exsisted. Good information on the
                        history
                        > of Cleveland
                        > > and it's ancestors.
                        > >
                        > > Dennis and Donna ddhalusker@ wrote:
                        > > http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC
                        > > <http://ech.case.edu/ech-cgi/article.pl?id=BRC> This may help some
                        > > searching in Cleveland.

                      • vchromoho
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                          > Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first --
                          so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian
                          Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give
                          that one a shot as well.

                          > Caye

                          Caye, wouldn't they have been buried at St. Theodosius Cemetery in
                          Brooklyn? It's a large cemetery and most of the people in it were
                          Rusyns, and Orthodox. (There's other Orthodox people buried there,
                          too, of course.)
                        • Dennis and Donna
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                            Thank you everyone! This is a Great site.So much time I have saved by
                            stopping here first.

                            Thanks again,Dennis

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "vchromoho" <rcuster@...> wrote:

                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick ccaswick@ wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Sorry, just reading all my e-mail and I review most recent first --
                            > so just saw your St. Theodocious posting -- most of the Russian
                            > Orthodox in Cleveland were buried at Highland Park Cemetery -- give
                            > that one a shot as well.
                            > >

                            > > Caye
                            >
                            > Caye, wouldn't they have been buried at St. Theodosius Cemetery in
                            > Brooklyn? It's a large cemetery and most of the people in it were
                            > Rusyns, and Orthodox. (There's other Orthodox people buried there,
                            > too, of course.)

                          • Caye Caswick
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
                              Sure, that's also an option, but Dennis mentioned he was going to check that one, so I didn't think he needed any more info on ST.