Re: [S-R] Lubovna,,

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2007
      Ron,
      My grandfather was from Visny Ruzbachy. I was wondering when you speak of
      Lubovna.
      Some years ago, I was looking for my grandmother's village and I stumbled
      into a place called Lublo Furdo.
      It had a resort and a ski slope out back. It is in the neighborhood of Nova
      Lubovna.
      are you anywhere near to that? in any event, have a great time on the
      slopes and don't slack off on doing your share of "domov"
      Noreen

      _rmat@..._ (mailto:rmat@...) writes:

      Nice neighborhood you have, Michael! I can't help but think it would
      be a good ski run from the top of the hill into Plavnica. Yes, the
      Lubovna hill is gentle, but we hit it with 5 of us today, at least two
      of whom have not skiid in 25 years. The 15 year old new slowboarder
      is sawing logs at the moment, he had a good workout. This old dog is
      doing well, better than the younger ones who did not ski for so long.
      It was a birthday celebration and just had a helping of home made
      apricot brandy. It seems I drink a lot of 'domov' over here!

      Tomorrow should be a day - half a day probably - at Visny Ruzbachy for
      us surviors. For me it is more important who I am with rather than
      where I am at. In Alaska I can chose any degree of difficulty. I have
      patrolled a hill on the air force base about as gentle as Lubovna,
      easily on my cross country skis. The joy was in seeing so many
      smiling faces today.

      Ron
      PS Serious ambitions I hold for Donalvy or Jasna someday. The High
      Tatras are reputed to have the alpine beauty but not the great snow.

    • helene cincebeaux
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2007
        Hi Noreen -

        i am helping someone who has a document with
        ancestral surname Lukasz or Lukac
        - and looks like place of origin was Lublo
        (handwritten on a document and hard to read) - she has
        gone thru all but one of the LDS fiches for Stara
        Lubovna (waiting for the last one)- I think nova
        Lubovna is on there too but so far nothing - so i was
        wondering if you know any more about that Lublo or
        have any suggestions.

        helene

        --- nhasior@... wrote:

        > Ron,
        > My grandfather was from Visny Ruzbachy. I was
        > wondering when you speak of
        > Lubovna.
        > Some years ago, I was looking for my grandmother's
        > village and I stumbled
        > into a place called Lublo Furdo.
        > It had a resort and a ski slope out back. It is in
        > the neighborhood of Nova
        > Lubovna.
        > are you anywhere near to that? in any event, have a
        > great time on the
        > slopes and don't slack off on doing your share of
        > "domov"
        > Noreen
        >

        > _rmat@..._ (mailto:rmat@...)
        > writes:
        >

        > Nice neighborhood you have, Michael! I can't help
        > but think it would
        > be a good ski run from the top of the hill into
        > Plavnica. Yes, the
        > Lubovna hill is gentle, but we hit it with 5 of us
        > today, at least two
        > of whom have not skiid in 25 years. The 15 year old
        > new slowboarder
        > is sawing logs at the moment, he had a good workout.
        > This old dog is
        > doing well, better than the younger ones who did not
        > ski for so long.
        > It was a birthday celebration and just had a helping
        > of home made
        > apricot brandy. It seems I drink a lot of 'domov'
        > over here!
        >
        > Tomorrow should be a day - half a day probably - at
        > Visny Ruzbachy for
        > us surviors. For me it is more important who I am
        > with rather than
        > where I am at. In Alaska I can chose any degree of
        > difficulty. I have
        > patrolled a hill on the air force base about as
        > gentle as Lubovna,
        > easily on my cross country skis. The joy was in
        > seeing so many
        > smiling faces today.
        >
        > Ron
        > PS Serious ambitions I hold for Donalvy or Jasna
        > someday. The High
        > Tatras are reputed to have the alpine beauty but
        > not the great snow.

        > removed]

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • johnqadam
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2007
          >>> she has gone thru all but one of the LDS fiches <<<

          Helene, don't forget the 1869 Hungarian Census films, which are
          available at LDS.

          John
        • Ron Matviyak
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2007
            Noreen,

            I don't know the Slovak word for BINGO, but you just scored. I have a
            flash drive with me with lots of old stuff on it and just called up
            the 1912? map of Szepes county, Hungary. Stara Lubovna is Olublo and
            Lublo Furdo ( double dot over the u) is Lubovniansky Kupella where we
            have been skiing. If you do a Google search for "Szepes map 1912" or
            variations then you should come up with the rather detailed map at a
            .hu site. Olublo is in the upper right corner, Lublo Furdo is very
            near the Saris border and many more "Lublo" variations are in the
            neighborhood.

            Ah ... on the survival with domov, it was late and I saw the host's
            hand reaching for the bottle and I perfectly timed a dobru noch before
            another round could be poured. I do like the stuff, but in measured
            doses! I would love to distill my own at home.

            Ron

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2007
              Thanks John for your suggestion - a super one and
              thanks to all others who have helped with this and
              other queries.
              helene

              --- johnqadam <johnqadam@...> wrote:

              > <<<
              >
              > Helene, don't forget the 1869 Hungarian Census
              > films, which are
              > available at LDS.
              >
              > John

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 31, 2007
                Dear Slovak Roots Members -

                The Christmas issue of Slovakia magazine features
                two folk paintings in color - the cover shows young
                boys carrying the nativity scene through the village
                with an onion-domed wooden church in the background;
                the back cover has a wintry scene from an eastern
                Slovak village with 51 villagers coming from church or
                at play. Many homes are pictured as well as the tall
                steepled wooden church in the background.

                Inside is a center spread also in color with 18 people
                in folk dress from the Slovak Embassy event in Nov.

                Featured articles include Old Country Memories by
                Sylvia Chai, Journey to Zniev by Margo Smith, a Roots
                page, on line sites and upcoming events.

                If you would like a copy please send $2 to Helene
                Cincebeaux, 151 Colebrook Dr., Rochester NY 14617.

                Happy New Year!!!!

                helene

                Looking for last minute shopping deals?