Re: Let me introduce myself!

  • Dennis and Donna
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
      If you are searching in Cleveland,you are in luck because my town has
      many resources available to you. Cleveland has a rich Rusyn history. I
      have included a few links that are good for searching.
      Barb-a-Rova,although a Polish neighborhood had many folk with Slovak
      heritage.

      Cleve.'s Southside even better.If Your Family was Religious,you have
      St.Joseph's,Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit and St.Theodoseus among others.All of
      The Byzantine Faith.

      Cleveland Slovak tradition is strong!

      The link for Blue street Cleve.'s South side is up and down for
      maintenace,but just keep trying.

      http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?sessionid=01-1964-1608422346
      <http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?sessionid=01-1964-1608422346>
      http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?sessionid=01-1964-1608422346
      <http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?sessionid=01-1964-1608422346>
      http://probate.cuyahogacounty.us/ml/
      <http://probate.cuyahogacounty.us/ml/>
      http://www.zodiacal.com/barbarowa/trees/
      <http://www.zodiacal.com/barbarowa/trees/>
      http://www.bluetreeart.com/ClevelandSouthside/index.html
      <http://www.bluetreeart.com/ClevelandSouthside/index.html>

      Good Luck Searching,Dennis

      Good Luck! Dennis

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
        Hello Sue,
        Welcome to the group.
        Key to this search is narrowing down with some certainty the ancestral
        village. We've done a lot with Austro-Hungary and the group here is pretty
        good at sorting out the countries, past and present. There are several
        sources, but first, you need to collect some info based to ensure when we
        find "hits" we can achieve positive ID.
        For the parents, (who were the immigrants):
        1. Approx. birth year (you can be off +- 10 years, we all start that way)
        2. Religion (original and/or last known)
        3. Stated Ethnicity (Czech, Slovak, Polish, Hungarian, Slovene, etc.)
        4. Languages spoken
        5. Approximate marriage year and location (US or Europe) (must be before
        1915)
        6. Birth years of other siblings and where born (US or Europe)
        7. Were they ever naturalized?

        And about your work. What research have you done?
        - Ellis Island manifests
        - Children's birth certificates are interesting, but the church ledger is
        more interesting.
        - Naturalization

        John has given you some hits based on various databases online.
        I will also ask you to do some place-name identification homework.
        Here are some ideas: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
        Oftentimes the life events that happened to the immigrant after will not be
        helpful.

        Looking forward to your reply,
        Bill

[...]

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
          i have 2 listings for that surname - both with roots
          in Kolackov SPIS - can contact me directly if you want
          to get in touch with the listers.

          helene

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs