Durancinsky et al

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
      Apologies for the lack of tabluar format.

      Ellis Island provides the following transcript spellings and origins.

      Ellis Island name Ellis Island place 1828 Village name
      County
      Duracsinski, Kata Bitarowa Bittarova, TRENCSEN MEGYE
      Duracsinszki, Vendel Iglo, Hungary Spišská Nová Ves
      SZEPES MEGYE
      Duraczinnky, Joh. Poprad Poprad SZEPES MEGYE
      Duraczinsky, Ernst Kolacskon Kolacsko SZEPES MEGYE
      Duracinski, Ernest Kolacska, Hungary Kolacsko
      SZEPES MEGYE
      Duracinski, Ferencz Kolacska, Hungary Kolacsko
      SZEPES MEGYE
      Duracinski, Zuzia Kolacska, Hungary Kolacsko
      SZEPES MEGYE
      Duracsinski, Vendel Kolacsko Kolacsko SZEPES MEGYE
      Duracsinsky, Jozsef
      Duracsinsky, Maria Hata Hanr Possibly Huncovce, Slovakia,
      formerly known as Hunfalu (or Hunsdorf) Szepes
      Duracsinslar, Mihaly
      Duracsinszky, Janos Kaczoin, Hungary
      Duracsinszky, Katalin Kaczoin, Hungary

      Current phone listings provide the following villages for various
      spellings of surname.

      Bardejov
      Batizovce
      Bratislava
      Hrabušice
      Kežmarok
      Kolaèkov
      Košice
      Nižné Ružbachy
      Nova Lubovna
      Podolínec
      Poprad
      Rajecké Teplice
      Spišská Nová Ves
      Stará Lubovòa
      Stranany , Velky Lipnik
      Velká Lomnica
      Žilina

      With virtual certainty, your clan came from the former Szepes Megye =
      county based upon both Ellis Island and current phone listings. You
      will need to figure out which particular village before you can make
      progress with historic churc records.

      Good luck.
    • Dennis and Donna
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
        If you are searching in Cleveland,you are in luck because my town has
        many resources available to you. Cleveland has a rich Rusyn history. I
        have included a few links that are good for searching.
        Barb-a-Rova,although a Polish neighborhood had many folk with Slovak
        heritage.

        Cleve.'s Southside even better.If Your Family was Religious,you have
        St.Joseph's,Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit and St.Theodoseus among others.All of
        The Byzantine Faith.

        Cleveland Slovak tradition is strong!

        The link for Blue street Cleve.'s South side is up and down for
        maintenace,but just keep trying.

        http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?sessionid=01-1964-1608422346
        <http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?sessionid=01-1964-1608422346>
        http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?sessionid=01-1964-1608422346
        <http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/html/obit.html?sessionid=01-1964-1608422346>
        http://probate.cuyahogacounty.us/ml/
        <http://probate.cuyahogacounty.us/ml/>
        http://www.zodiacal.com/barbarowa/trees/
        <http://www.zodiacal.com/barbarowa/trees/>
        http://www.bluetreeart.com/ClevelandSouthside/index.html
        <http://www.bluetreeart.com/ClevelandSouthside/index.html>

        Good Luck Searching,Dennis

        Good Luck! Dennis

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
          Hello Sue,
          Welcome to the group.
          Key to this search is narrowing down with some certainty the ancestral
          village. We've done a lot with Austro-Hungary and the group here is pretty
          good at sorting out the countries, past and present. There are several
          sources, but first, you need to collect some info based to ensure when we
          find "hits" we can achieve positive ID.
          For the parents, (who were the immigrants):
          1. Approx. birth year (you can be off +- 10 years, we all start that way)
          2. Religion (original and/or last known)
          3. Stated Ethnicity (Czech, Slovak, Polish, Hungarian, Slovene, etc.)
          4. Languages spoken
          5. Approximate marriage year and location (US or Europe) (must be before
          1915)
          6. Birth years of other siblings and where born (US or Europe)
          7. Were they ever naturalized?

          And about your work. What research have you done?
          - Ellis Island manifests
          - Children's birth certificates are interesting, but the church ledger is
          more interesting.
          - Naturalization

          John has given you some hits based on various databases online.
          I will also ask you to do some place-name identification homework.
          Here are some ideas: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
          Oftentimes the life events that happened to the immigrant after will not be
          helpful.

          Looking forward to your reply,
          Bill

[...]

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 27, 2007
            i have 2 listings for that surname - both with roots
            in Kolackov SPIS - can contact me directly if you want
            to get in touch with the listers.

            helene

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs