Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] [Admin] about Rootsweb's merger today

  • Tarzantu2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 23, 2000
      Since I joined this list, I have been a listener and have learned much about
      Slovakia, the region I'm researching. I would love to be a contributor, but
      I have much to learn first. When I first joined, the postings were
      thoughtful and the information obtained was good. There is an excellent base
      of people within the list who are very gracious with their time to help all
      of us.

      Lately it seems that a layer of thin skin has covered a number of our group.
      I haven't paid much attention to note whether it is newcomers or oldtimers.
      Now we're fighting over ancestral religion, the Mormons intent for afterlife,
      how people's words are taken,
      etc. It's about time we all grow up. This list is comprised of beginner
      genealogists up to the professional level. Many questions will be asked and
      there will be a difference of opinion as to the answers. We should be able
      to accept all answers in the spirit in which they were given, without feeling
      slighted or insulted.

      Maura, I have great respect for you as to how you have managed your list and
      appreciate your efforts in providing the group with this opportunity to share
      ideas and to learn about our ancestors. We're all human and make mistakes,
      and I was disappointed when you lowered yourself to make the comments below:

      << Because I sent it to this list as it's listowner just as I did to my
      lists I run on rootsweb .... because I thought -some- of you might like
      to know about it , and -some- of you might like to take advantage of a
      14 day trial offer that you don't have to give a credit card # for and
      ask for your money back later.

      I'm sorry I even tried to be nice and let you all know about it at this
      point. I won't make that mistake again.

      I prefer to see the "old" Maura's comments and manner of handling things,
      which I always considered to be well done. The person to whom you replied
      didn't use good judgement in his posting, however, your reply would have been
      perfect without the last paragraph. I for one, appreciate every tidbit of
      information put out on this list and hope no one will withhold information
      because of what has happened.

      We're all in this together working for a common goal - searching for our
      ancestors. Let's all give the respect that we would like to receive.

      Ray Slack
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 23, 2000
        Added to which, a special word of thanks for Maura for putting up with us
        all for so long. If she is the host, we are the guests.

        > Since I joined this list, I have been a listener and have learned much
        about
        > Slovakia, the region I'm researching. I would love to be a contributor,
        but
        > I have much to learn first. When I first joined, the postings were
        > thoughtful and the information obtained was good. There is an excellent
        base
        > of people within the list who are very gracious with their time to help
        all
        > of us.

      • David Mothkovich
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 23, 2000
          Why bring up something already passed.
          dave
          > Since I joined this list, I have been a listener and have learned much
          about
          > Slovakia, the region I'm researching. I would love to be a contributor,
          but
          > I have much to learn first. When I first joined, the postings were
          > thoughtful and the information obtained was good. There is an excellent
          base
          > of people within the list who are very gracious with their time to help
          all
          > of us.
          >
          > Lately it seems that a layer of thin skin has covered a number of our
          group.
          > I haven't paid much attention to note whether it is newcomers or
          oldtimers.
          > Now we're fighting over ancestral religion, the Mormons intent for
          afterlife,
          > how people's words are taken,
          > etc. It's about time we all grow up. This list is comprised of beginner
          > genealogists up to the professional level. Many questions will be asked
          and
          > there will be a difference of opinion as to the answers. We should be
          able
          > to accept all answers in the spirit in which they were given, without
          feeling
          > slighted or insulted.
          >
          > Maura, I have great respect for you as to how you have managed your list
          and
          > appreciate your efforts in providing the group with this opportunity to
          share
          > ideas and to learn about our ancestors. We're all human and make mistakes,
          > and I was disappointed when you lowered yourself to make the comments
          below:

          > << Because I sent it to this list as it's listowner just as I did to my
          > lists I run on rootsweb .... because I thought -some- of you might like
          > to know about it , and -some- of you might like to take advantage of a
          > 14 day trial offer that you don't have to give a credit card # for and
          > ask for your money back later.
          >
          > I'm sorry I even tried to be nice and let you all know about it at this
          > point. I won't make that mistake again.
          > >>

          > I prefer to see the "old" Maura's comments and manner of handling things,
          > which I always considered to be well done. The person to whom you replied
          > didn't use good judgement in his posting, however, your reply would have
          been
          > perfect without the last paragraph. I for one, appreciate every tidbit of
          > information put out on this list and hope no one will withhold information
          > because of what has happened.
          >
          > We're all in this together working for a common goal - searching for our
          > ancestors. Let's all give the respect that we would like to receive.
          >
          > Ray Slack

        • John
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 25, 2000
            At 03:03 PM 6/23/00 -0400, you wrote:

            >Since I joined this list, I have been a listener and have learned much
            about Slovakia, the region I'm researching. I would love to be a
            contributor, but I have much to learn first. When I first joined, the
            postings were thoughtful and the information obtained was good. There is
            an excellent base of people within the list who are very gracious with
            their time to help all of us.<

            >Lately it seems that a layer of thin skin has covered a number of our
            group. I haven't paid much attention to note whether it is newcomers or
            oldtimers. Now we're fighting over ancestral religion, the Mormons intent
            for afterlife, how people's words are taken, etc. It's about time we all
            grow up. This list is comprised of beginner genealogists up to the
            professional level. Many questions will be asked and there will be a
            difference of opinion as to the answers. We should be able to accept all
            answers in the spirit in which they were given, without feeling slighted or
            insulted.<

            From another list:

            "Email seems so one-on-one and personal, more like spoken communication
            than written. We write it like we were giving lectures, and we read it like
            we were being scolded."

            Janko
          • lkocik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 26, 2000