Re: Svrcina, Svrcek et al

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2000
      Svrc~ina is a Slovak word, it means a pine tree or a pine grove.

      The term Valas~sko (Wallachia) in Moravia dates back to the late middle
      ages. It's the westernmost end of the Carpathians, and the last area to
      be affected by the Wallachian migrations. It was called Valas~sko
      because of the shepherding culture there, as opposed to the Hana area of
      Moravia where people were farmers. Valach originally referred to the
      mixed ethnic group of Wallachians, but as they assimilated to the local
      population it came to mean just shepherd. Over the years shepherding gave
      way to farming in Valas~sko, so by the 1800s they were mostly farmers too,
      with shepherding surviving only in a few places like around Roznov.

      Joe Armata
      joe@...