Holiday Greetings

  • karens_roots
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 11, 2007
      Can anyone tell me how to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in
      Slovak? I would like to send cards for the holidays to a few "cousins"
      met over the past summer.

      Karen
    • arvayx11
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 12, 2007
        Veselé Vianoce a Štastný Nový Rok ( Merry Christmas and a Happy New
        Year )

        Rebecca

        -- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "karens_roots" <karens_roots@...>
        wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me how to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in
        > Slovak? I would like to send cards for the holidays to a
        few "cousins"
        > met over the past summer.
        >
        > Karen

      • Karen C
        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 14, 2007
          Thanks Rebecca for your help. The family members from the small village of Sumiac were so nice and hospitable that we wanted to thank them and also send them a gift. We took an interpreter with us since we speak no Slovak and from what we found, they spoke no English.

          Merry Christmas to you and the entire Slovak-Roots group.

          Karen

          Vesel� Vianoce a �tastn� Nov� Rok ( Merry Christmas and a Happy New

          wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me how to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year in
          > Slovak? I would like to send cards for the holidays to a
          few "cousins"

        • Nick Holcz
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 25, 2007
            Wishing you all Veselé Vianoce a Štastný Nový
            Rok from Perth Western Australia where the temperature is
            106degrees F and going for more tomorrow.

            Nick
          • Marilyn Hertenstein
            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 25, 2007
              Christ�s ra�d�jetsja! Sl�vite Jeho!
              Christ is born! Glorify Him!

              Merry Christmas from the St. Louis, MO (USA) area where
              we are currently about 23 degrees F.

              Marilyn

              _____

              Wishing you all Vesel� Vianoce a �tastn� Nov�
              Rok from Perth Western Australia where the temperature is
              106degrees F and going for more tomorrow.

              Nick

            • Gil Kubancsek

                Message 7 of 29 , Dec 25, 2007
                  Merry Christmas from Metro Boston. We have about 10" of snow remaining with
                  an ice crust atop. I'm lovin' it. I enjoy winter sports, skiing being my
                  favorite. I grew up way, way north of hear and learned to enjoy the
                  winters. I've skied four times so for in New England, VT, NH and MA. It's
                  just lovely outside. I've taken some of the most wonderful photos this
                  fall.
                  Genealogy gets put on hold while I bop up and down the hills. Sorry folks,
                  but warm climes are not for me. I am thrilled you enjoy the warm days and
                  nights and wish you all the best for the new year.
                  Peace.
                  Bill Tarkulich

                  P.S., some gorgeous photos from Jackson New Hampshire

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 25, 2007
                    Oops, the photos: http://www.iabsi.com/ski/2007_dec_black/

                    Nick Holcz <nickh@...> wrote:
                    Wishing you all Veselé Vianoce a Štastný Nový
                    Rok from Perth Western Australia where the temperature is
                    106degrees F and going for more tomorrow.

                    Nick

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • david1law@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 25, 2007
                      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, Bill, and to everyone else on
                      Slovak Roots! Bill, with your love of the snow, you certainly are a highlander
                      like most of ancestors in Slovakia.

                      Your friend,

                      David Michael Baloga

                    • Jan Ammann
                      Message 10 of 29 , Dec 25, 2007
                        Hello everyone......

                        Bill..........Thank you for the photos........how wonderful they are!!! Looks like a "real Christmas card". We have been freezing at night here in Texas but our days have gotten quite warm......today it was nice to enjoy a sunshine walk on a street.

                        Continued holiday greetings to all and a most Joyous New Year!!!!

                        Jan

                        Oops, the photos: http://www.iabsi.com/ski/2007_dec_black/

                        Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you & yours Nick, and to all
                        SLOVAK-ROOTERS & SLOVAK-WORLDERS. Here in North Huntingdon PA it is sunny
                        and the temperatire is 40 degrees F. No white Christmas this year!

                        Gil K.

                        Wishing you all Veselé Vianoce a ©tastný Nový

                        Message 11 of 29 , Dec 25, 2007
                          David,
                          I think of that often. My love for the mountains, my father had that too.
                          When I went back, we spent a day hiking the peaks in the Carpathians. I
                          very much felt at home and at peace. I thought how hard it must have been
                          for my GP's to leave all that, move to a city and work in a greasy grimy
                          foundry, never setting foot in the mountains again. Must have been hard, it
                          is like part of my soul is in the mountains, perhaps the same for them.

                          Merry Christmas,
                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 29 , Dec 25, 2007
                            Hi Bill:

                            I sometimes think similar thoughts. My father told me that the two things he
                            remembered his mother, my my grandmother, Veronika Hronec, telling him was
                            about the Tatra Mountains and the rich folks that would come to the spas /
                            sanitariums. My grandmother had been born in the well-known resort of Stary
                            Smokovec, where both her father and her great grandfather had been foresters. My
                            great, great, great grandfather Jan Hronec had been one of the early
                            mountain climbing guides in the High Tatras, I believe that you are right about it
                            being hard to leave the beautiful mountains and highlands of Slovakia for
                            work in factories, etc in the U.S. From what I can gather, our ancestors left
                            to find a better living in the U.S. Two of my grandfathers' brothers came to
                            the U.S. and worked for some years to earn money, and then returned to
                            Slovakia. Did you get a chance to hike any part of the High Tatras? I have
                            always loved mountains, and hope some day to hike in the High Tatras and the rest
                            of the Carpathian Mountains.

                            Best regards,

                            David

                          • Nick Holcz
                            Message 13 of 29 , Dec 25, 2007
                              Hope you had a good Boxing day ,111.6 degrees today, that is our
                              hottest Boxing day on record. Cooler and humid tomorrow.

                              All the best

                              Nick
                              Message 14 of 29 , Dec 26, 2007
                                I have only driven through the Tatras. When you are destined to see your
                                living, breathing relatives, it becomes difficult to take a diversion like
                                that.

                                For my GP's, they left out of desperation while in their late teen-age
                                years. The land could not support the numbers the family had grown to and
                                starvation was prevalent.

                                My GF's cousins, all single males (or with wives in then-Hungary), worked in
                                a glass factory in Corning NY. All eventually returned home. The pull must
                                have been strong. My GF married a girl from a nearby village back home, had
                                kids, and as they say, one thing led to another. Who had the "better" life?
                                It's hard to say, depends on how you measure things. Obviously my GF and
                                his cousins had differing opinions on the matter. It is far too easy for
                                us, in our comfortable American lives to go back and draw sudden conclusions
                                that seem so "obvious."

                                I can however testify first-hand that a second wave of immigration from our
                                ancestral has begin. Within the EU constructs, Slovakia citizens are free
                                to leave and gain employment anywhere in the EU without the need for papers
                                or visas. Again, it seems to be for economic and opportunistic reasons.
                                The feelings are the same - sad to leave, but left with no reasonable
                                alternative. The good news this time is that travel back to their lands is
                                relatively easy.

                                I would be interested in hearing the stories of others.

                                Bill Tarkulich

                                Message 15 of 29 , Dec 26, 2007
                                  Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year to All from sunny (to each his
                                  own, eh Bill?) Naples, Florida.

                                  An interesting story to relate: Local Naples artist Phil Fisher was
                                  surprised recently when the current US Ambassador to Slovakia (sorry, I do not know
                                  the ambassador's name) walked into Phil's small studio/shop and purchased a
                                  number of his watercolors and oils. While that's not in itself unusual, Phil's
                                  paintings are varied and beautiful images of coastal Southwest Florida, the
                                  ambassador explained that in this case he wanted the paintings to display in
                                  the offices of the US embassy in Bratislava. An honor for Phil, he and his
                                  wife hope to visit Slovakia, and the embassy, in June of 2008. His wife,
                                  Natalie, supplied this information to me last Saturday while wrapping a small
                                  watercolor purchase of my own, a gift for my wife. Of course the next twenty
                                  minutes were spent talking about genealogy and our respective "Old Country"
                                  ancestors.

                                  Best wishes to you all this Holiday Season,
                                  Eugene Klodzen (paternal ancestors from Vinne and Lastomir)

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Dec 26, 2007
                                      Please add our best wishes for a blessed, peaceful holiday season and
                                      healthy, prosperous New Year to all members of the group.

                                      I empathize greatly with Bill's love of winter sports as I went to high
                                      school and college in Colorado. When I talked about leaving PA when I got
                                      back from my stint in Bratislava, the wife wanted warmer climes so we
                                      relocated to NW Florida in October. Weather here was mid-50s (fahrenheit...
                                      about 12C) with thunder and rain on Christmas day and about 55F and overcast
                                      today.

                                      Paul in Florida

                                    • Paul Guzowski
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Dec 27, 2007
                                        Greetings Bill et al,

                                        Slovakia has been in the EU for a number of years now and the exodus to work
                                        elsewhere has not been as great as the naysayers expected, at least as far I
                                        heard and read during my two years living and working in Bratislava. True,
                                        there were a number of day workers making the trip across into Austria as
                                        day workers but none of the young translator/interpreters we had wanted to
                                        relocate permanently abroad. In fact, there was a survey of students while
                                        I was there and something like 70% said they had no intention of working
                                        abroad. Now that Slovakia has acceded to the Schengen group and the borders
                                        with Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, and Austria are now completely open as
                                        of last week, it will be a bit easier for day workers and tourists but I
                                        would be surprised if the number people emigrating increases much. In fact,
                                        I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers decrease when Slovakia enters the
                                        euro zone next year and adopts the euro monetary unit. During the two years
                                        I lived in Slovakia, I also didn't observe a great influx of guest/immigrant
                                        workers from eastern Europe as was foretold by the doomsayers. Personal
                                        observations only but that's my two cents worth.

                                        All the best to everyone for a great 2008!

                                        Paul in NW FL

                                      • johnqadam
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 27, 2007
                                          As you were moving to FL, I was proceeding to eastern Slovakia. I have
                                          no statistics but there is common knowledge of Slovak people going to
                                          work (legally) in UK and Ireland. Some gypsies are improving their home
                                          in Senne (near Michalovce) with new-found wealth from jobs in UK.

                                          A fem. cousin (age 18) has two jobs in UK -- nights in a bakery and
                                          days cleaning. Whatever her savings, they will look like pretty good
                                          money to those at home in Michalovce.

                                          Stay warm, eh?
                                        • Michael Mojher
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Dec 27, 2007
                                            From the time of my first trip to Slovakia in 2001 and my fifth in June, 2007 I have seen a noticeable change in the attitude about working outside of Slovakia. In 2001 everyone of my relatives families had someone who had gone outside of Slovakia to work. This was especially true in eastern Slovakia where none of the investment Euros had an impact. On that first trip I noticed the absence of the twenty-something generation in my ancestral village of Hromos. The Mayor told me that it was a problem for all of the small villages, they were losing a whole generation of young people to employment elsewhere in Europe.
                                            By 2004 I noticed a change. The European Union redevelopment funds were finally coming to the villages. For Hromos it meant that a natural gas pipeline was installed and the homes were happily replacing the more costly propane appliances. All homes were also hooked up to a sewer pipe system. Factories that were closed in 2001 were now operating under new owners from various European countries. The Mayor reported that young people were returning to Hromos. The word of jobs available back home made it possible. It wasn't unusual for those returning to admit the social and cultural isolation and working conditions made the "homesick".
                                            Two weeks of our trip in June was spent on a road trip zigzagging across Slovakia from Bratislava to Presov. It gave us a chance to see the changes that are being made to the infrastructure of Slovakia. Most notably the building of a freeway system linking eastern Slovakia with the rest of the country and Europe. It will be another decade before it is completed enough to have an impact. Since northern Slovakia is so mountainous it is not easy to build 400 miles of freeway across it.
                                            My personal observation on how things have changed is through the college student translators I have had since my very first trip. Those that have graduated have all found employment in Slovakia. Most with businesses from other European countries. From my translators I have gotten the impression that there is a whole new generation that are developing an attitude that there should be a "United States of Europe". Like ours its citizens should be able to freely move from state to state, be for employment or pleasure.
                                            Michael Mojher

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Dec 27, 2007
                                              Dear Michael:

                                              Thank you very much for sharing your observations and insights with us
                                              regarding the current events in Slovakia. I found your observations to be very
                                              helpful. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. .I wish you and
                                              everyone else on Slovak Roots a Happy New Year!

                                              Best regards,

                                              David Michael Baloga

                                            • Paul Guzowski
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Dec 28, 2007
                                                John and Michael;

                                                You have some good insights from your visits. Yes, there are some people
                                                (mostly young ones) moving abroad to work, especially to the UK and Ireland
                                                where the cost of living is very high and, hence, so are the wages. I heard
                                                and read about this when I lived in Budapest and Vilnius, too, and
                                                encountered a few of them when I was visiting St Andrews, Scotland, for a
                                                few rounds of golf with my brother. But the statistics do not show these
                                                numbers to be staggering though nearly everyone I met claims to have a
                                                relative or friend living/working abroad. Some of these are students
                                                working while they study abroad and some are seasonal workers (like in the
                                                Austrian ski resorts).

                                                Michael mentioned exodus from the villages, but they weren't all going
                                                abroad. Many of those young graduates were moving to the big cities or
                                                staying there if they went to university there because there were better
                                                employment opportunities. It's not unlike the migration we have had from
                                                the country to the city in the US. It's anecdotal, I know, but only one of
                                                the six interpreter/translators we employed in Bratislava was originally
                                                from Bratislava. It is also true, from my observation, that foreign
                                                investment in Slovakia has provided many job opportunities that allow
                                                Slovaks to find good employment at home in lieu of going abroad.

                                                While there are many Slovaks going abroad to work legally, there are still
                                                some (as from virtually every central and eastern European country) doing so
                                                in ways which skirt the law. Some have traveled to the US on a tourist visa
                                                and worked (which is not permitted on a tourist visa) and overstayed the
                                                90-day visa limit. This has been part of the problem removing the visa
                                                requirement for Slovaks, Poles, Hungarians, Lithuanians, and others to visit
                                                the US. I believe the numbers of these cases are diminishing for the
                                                reasons stated above and am confident the visa requirement will be
                                                eliminated sooner rather than later.

                                                As usual, just my two cents. Of course everyone is entitled to his/her own
                                                opinion but no one is entitled to his/her own facts. For those who would
                                                like to delve into the facts, I've included a couple of links below:

                                                http://portal.statistics.sk/showdoc.do?docid=359
                                                http://www.bls.gov/bls/other.htm

                                                Paul in NW FL
                                                Bratislava 2005-2007

                                              • Ron Matviyak
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Dec 28, 2007
                                                  Hi Paul =

                                                  cannot disagree with your statemtns, but am here in Stara Lubovna and
                                                  have run across a lot of people who commute to jobs in the west of
                                                  Europe. I was even offered some Netherlans beer one brought back
                                                  home. It seems ´on the surface ´that export of labor from Eastern
                                                  Slovakia is quite healthy, as it has been historically.

                                                  Will be down in Blava in a few days to accompany two cousins as they
                                                  go in for visitor visas. The embassy has been cold to any request on
                                                  my part for me to talk to them and see what they find to be the
                                                  problem. I get the impression 99 percent of it depends upon the
                                                  interview and not the invitation. Well, wish us luck. If they make
                                                  it to Alaska this summer they will see things beyond their imagination.

                                                  Best to all of you out there =

                                                  Ron

                                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Guzowski" <guzowskip@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  > Greetings Bill et al,
                                                  >
                                                  > Slovakia has been in the EU for a number of years now and the exodus
                                                  to work
                                                  > elsewhere has not been as great as the naysayers expected, at least
                                                  as far I
                                                  > heard and read during my two years living and working in Bratislava.
                                                  True,
                                                  > there were a number of day workers making the trip across into
                                                  Austria as
                                                  > day workers but none of the young translator/interpreters we had
                                                  wanted to
                                                  > relocate permanently abroad. In fact, there was a survey of
                                                  students while
                                                  > I was there and something like 70% said they had no intention of working
                                                  > abroad. Now that Slovakia has acceded to the Schengen group and the
                                                  borders
                                                  > with Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, and Austria are now completely
                                                  open as
                                                  > of last week, it will be a bit easier for day workers and tourists but I
                                                  > would be surprised if the number people emigrating increases much.
                                                  In fact,
                                                  > I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers decrease when Slovakia enters the
                                                  > euro zone next year and adopts the euro monetary unit. During the
                                                  two years
                                                  > I lived in Slovakia, I also didn't observe a great influx of
                                                  guest/immigrant
                                                  > workers from eastern Europe as was foretold by the doomsayers. Personal
                                                  > observations only but that's my two cents worth.
                                                  >
                                                  > All the best to everyone for a great 2008!
                                                  >
                                                  > Paul in NW FL

                                                • Ron Matviyak
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Dec 28, 2007
                                                    Greetings from Slovakia, Bill!

                                                    Just enjoyed my first day skiing in Slovakia at the local Lubovna
                                                    Kupella area. Had two young cousins who waited out teh expereince and
                                                    a young snow boarder along trying it for the first time in a ski area.
                                                    He was part of a group who put together an internet movie of boarding
                                                    in some area of S. Lubovna. I will try to get the web location to
                                                    share. It was pretty neat at coming this far and haivng the family
                                                    name and village recognized on the hill.

                                                    I am a bit spoiled with skiing conditions in Alaska and work with the
                                                    Nordic Ski patrol with back country and cross country skiing. It felt
                                                    strange to put on alpine equipment after years of telemark. God meant
                                                    skiing to be done with free heels!

                                                    Snow is adequate but nothing to brag about = but then you know skiing
                                                    starts at good and only gets better.

                                                    Maybe someday will get to the east coast to try some of your snow.

                                                    All my best =

                                                    and a Happy New Year to all!

                                                    Ron

                                                    <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                                                    > Merry Christmas from Metro Boston. We have about 10" of snow
                                                    remaining with
                                                    > an ice crust atop. I'm lovin' it. I enjoy winter sports, skiing
                                                    being my
                                                    > favorite. I grew up way, way north of hear and learned to enjoy the
                                                    > winters. I've skied four times so for in New England, VT, NH and
                                                    MA. It's
                                                    > just lovely outside. I've taken some of the most wonderful photos this
                                                    > fall.
                                                    > Genealogy gets put on hold while I bop up and down the hills. Sorry
                                                    folks,
                                                    > but warm climes are not for me. I am thrilled you enjoy the warm
                                                    days and
                                                    > nights and wish you all the best for the new year.
                                                    > Peace.
                                                    > Bill Tarkulich
                                                    >
                                                    > P.S., some gorgeous photos from Jackson New Hampshire

                                                  • Michael Mojher
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Dec 28, 2007
                                                      Ron,
                                                      I couldn't help but write you since you are in my "hood" in Slovakia. My ancestral villages are Plavnica and Hromos. They are within five miles east of Lubovna Kupele. On my first trip we used the hotel at the Lubovna Kupele as our base. In 2001 we paid the equivalent of $15 for a "suite". Which was a living room unit and a bedroom unit. Between the Kupele and the western edge of the High Tatras there are 23 ski resorts. My skiing relatives think of the Kupele as the "bunny" slope. You can work your way to the Olympic level resorts at the High Tatras. As you gain in altitude the snow conditions should improve.
                                                      Michael Mojher

                                                      <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:

                                                      > Merry Christmas from Metro Boston. We have about 10" of snow
                                                      remaining with
                                                      > an ice crust atop. I'm lovin' it. I enjoy winter sports, skiing
                                                      being my
                                                      > favorite. I grew up way, way north of hear and learned to enjoy the
                                                      > winters. I've skied four times so for in New England, VT, NH and
                                                      MA. It's
                                                      > just lovely outside. I've taken some of the most wonderful photos this
                                                      > fall.
                                                      > Genealogy gets put on hold while I bop up and down the hills. Sorry
                                                      folks,
                                                      > but warm climes are not for me. I am thrilled you enjoy the warm
                                                      days and
                                                      > nights and wish you all the best for the new year.
                                                      > Peace.
                                                      > Bill Tarkulich
                                                      >
                                                      > P.S., some gorgeous photos from Jackson New Hampshire

                                                    • David Y.
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Dec 28, 2007
                                                        Ron,
                                                        The story back in 1997 was that the visitor had to have
                                                        $100 a day in cash, and a compelling reason to return to Slovakia
                                                        after the trip. I.E., own a home, be enrolled in university, etc.
                                                        Without that, the consul was required to deny the visa.
                                                        Not sure it is still that way.

                                                      • Ron Matviyak
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Dec 29, 2007
                                                          Nice neighborhood you have, Michael! I can't help but think it would
                                                          be a good ski run from the top of the hill into Plavnica. Yes, the
                                                          Lubovna hill is gentle, but we hit it with 5 of us today, at least two
                                                          of whom have not skiid in 25 years. The 15 year old new slowboarder
                                                          is sawing logs at the moment, he had a good workout. This old dog is
                                                          doing well, better than the younger ones who did not ski for so long.
                                                          It was a birthday celebration and just had a helping of home made
                                                          apricot brandy. It seems I drink a lot of 'domov' over here!

                                                          Tomorrow should be a day - half a day probably - at Visny Ruzbachy for
                                                          us surviors. For me it is more important who I am with rather than
                                                          where I am at. In Alaska I can chose any degree of difficulty. I have
                                                          patrolled a hill on the air force base about as gentle as Lubovna,
                                                          easily on my cross country skis. The joy was in seeing so many
                                                          smiling faces today.

                                                          Ron
                                                          PS Serious ambitions I hold for Donalvy or Jasna someday. The High
                                                          Tatras are reputed to have the alpine beauty but not the great snow.

                                                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
                                                          wrote:

                                                          > Ron,
                                                          > I couldn't help but write you since you are in my "hood" in
                                                          Slovakia. My ancestral villages are Plavnica and Hromos. They are
                                                          within five miles east of Lubovna Kupele. On my first trip we used the
                                                          hotel at the Lubovna Kupele as our base. In 2001 we paid the
                                                          equivalent of $15 for a "suite". Which was a living room unit and a
                                                          bedroom unit. Between the Kupele and the western edge of the High
                                                          Tatras there are 23 ski resorts. My skiing relatives think of the
                                                          Kupele as the "bunny" slope. You can work your way to the Olympic
                                                          level resorts at the High Tatras. As you gain in altitude the snow
                                                          conditions should improve.
                                                          > Michael Mojher

                                                        • Michael Mojher
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Dec 29, 2007
                                                            Ron,
                                                            The one season I haven't done in Slovakia is winter during my five trips. My aversion to snow was driven in by Mother who said the best thing that ever happened to her was moving from PA to CA. In my younger years I was torn between snow skiing and scuba diving. I choose diving; no crowds and it could be done year round. Although as California's like to say, "Ski in the morning, surf in the afternoon." Also being raised in the Delta most of our recreation was water oriented.
                                                            I know last year was not a good snow year in Slovakia. If I recall correctly they didn't get their first major storm until late January or early February. I should go online a check out the live cams from the different resorts there and see how things are this year.
                                                            I haven't had any of the apricot brandy. I'll have to look into that on my next trip. The homemade slivovitz, plum brandy, is superior to the commercial stuff. Besides they now limit it to 104 proof. The homemade stuff is usually higher.
                                                            The natural caldera's swimming pool at Visny Ruzbachy should be nice for what's aching after skiing.
                                                            When you get home I would like to hear from you. I'm always interested in hearing what you thought of Slovakia.
                                                            Michael

                                                            wrote:

                                                            > Ron,
                                                            > I couldn't help but write you since you are in my "hood" in
                                                            Slovakia. My ancestral villages are Plavnica and Hromos. They are
                                                            within five miles east of Lubovna Kupele. On my first trip we used the
                                                            hotel at the Lubovna Kupele as our base. In 2001 we paid the
                                                            equivalent of $15 for a "suite". Which was a living room unit and a
                                                            bedroom unit. Between the Kupele and the western edge of the High
                                                            Tatras there are 23 ski resorts. My skiing relatives think of the
                                                            Kupele as the "bunny" slope. You can work your way to the Olympic
                                                            level resorts at the High Tatras. As you gain in altitude the snow
                                                            conditions should improve.
                                                            > Michael Mojher

                                                          • hyperlexiadaddy
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jan 3, 2008
                                                              Winter in Slovakia...very nice.
                                                              Don't miss the ceresnovica (cherry brandy)...
                                                              it's nice as well.
                                                              Dave Jenco