Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Another social class term

  • Jozef Porubcansky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2000
      voya'r - Maybe it can be voza'r. Handwritten "z" in old documents can be
      very similar to "y". It can show relation with "voz" (truck).

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23, 2000
        Jozef, how wonderful it is to get a note from you. I hope that you and your
        family are all well.

        Thank you for the suggestion about the word voza'r. I am finally working on
        my father's family from Liptovsky Porubka', the ones with the Rachel
        connections. This reference occurs around the year 1868 -- perhaps the man
        was a waggon driver of some kind. These records are written in Slovak, but
        the surnames are a mixture of Magyar and Slovak spelling. I am finding many
        references to occupations that I have not seen before.

      • lkocik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 23, 2000
          Nadchik means small weasil
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23, 2000
            Well, you have to wonder just what the minister was trying to say about this
            person, referring to him as an Evangelical small weasel! I think I better
            take another look at that microfilm...