Re: [S-R] Harvelka - Orava/Kysuce

  • William F Brna
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 8, 2007
      Helene,

      My Prodrobny Autoatlas shows Harvelka with the road marked with red "xes"
      with the explanation of the "xes" as "Closed to motor traffic" When I
      was in Oravska Lesna last May, we came across horse-drawn wagons so I
      would guess that this is the mode of transpaortaation to Harvelka. It
      looks like it is in Moravia. I have no listing for Stara and Nova
      Bystrica,

      Bill Brna

      On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 11:06:35 -0800 (PST) helene cincebeaux
      <helenezx@...> writes:

      Helping someone with roots in Harvelka - Kubik and
      Bresciak surnames - found it on the map in
      Kysuce/Orava - boy is it remote - it appears to be
      near a dam or a lake at the right end with Nova
      Bystrica on the left end - no roads are between them

      Were villages flooded here? the Lake is called a vodna
      nadrz.

      It appears that the only road to Harvelka goes in from
      Orava Lesna but after a few km the road is x ed out in
      red - which i think means closed road. I have driven
      on a few of these and so would like to know what the x
      's in the Slovak atlas really mean.

      Harvelka is right at the corner of the atlas page and
      not really clear about how to get there. Doesn't
      appear to be a road from Stara and Nova Bystrica
      either tho I do have a Kubik listing for that - could
      they have closed Harvelka and moved people to the
      Bystricas?

      Tho the tiny bit of road showing has Harvelka at the
      end and a symbol for a church or chapel - so i think
      it still exists.

      Just went on the internet and found this -
      stretnutí rodákov zo zaplavených obcí Rieènica a
      Harvelka which leads me to believe that there was a
      gathering of families from the "drowned" villages of
      Riecnia and Harvelka.

      in Slovak I read that some 1300 people were relocated
      all over Slovakia and into Moravia - one man was 102
      years old. Tho in this account they mention many
      vilalges but not Harvelka.

      Can anyone tell me if Harvelka still exists as it
      shows on the atlas or if it is under the water of that
      large lake/dam.

      thanks!

      helene

      Message 37 of 37 , Dec 9, 2007
        URL twice is the vestige of using rich text, which creates a hyperlink as
        part of the displayed text. Since Yahoogroups uses only plain text, you end
        up seeing both, even if they are identical.

        Bill