Re: Slovak Petition

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007
      A historical tidbit. My first time adding a file[s] to the thread. [No doubt
      I could have done this better.]

      For the 1910 Census the intent was to record those emigrating from Hungary
      as Hungarians. The Slovak community in Cleveland took great exception to
      this and petitioned the congressional census committee in 1910 to allow the
      immigrants to be designated by their ethnic origin for the 1910 census. I�ve
      uploaded the first three pages of the petition which I hope you will find of
      interest.

      The entire petition, including signatures is 116 pages. Uploading the entire
      petition is not practical. The petition refers to a meeting in Pittsburgh
      though for some reason the petition was only signed by the people in
      Cleveland as far as I can tell.

      The petition was signed by 2735 immigrants. My quick eyeball scan indicates
      the large majority is Slovak, but I did spot a couple of Czech names. It
      looks like all signatures are males, and include addresses of the
      individuals.

      There were no notes by the Congressional committee regarding the petition
      one way or another. At least in the box I saw.

      See: HYPERLINK
      "http://www.archives.gov/legislative/guide/house/chapter-16-census.html"http
      ://www.archives.gov/legislative/guide/house/chapter-16-census.html

      �16.41 Generally, the subjects included in the jurisdiction of the Census
      Committee did not inspire heated debate, but several subjects did generate
      rather strong public reaction. A large roll petition contains the signatures
      of 2,735 Slovak citizens from Cleveland, OH, who protested that they were
      classed as Hungarians in the 1910 Federal census (61A-H4.2)�.�

      The reference 61A-H.2 is a pointer to a folder[s] and is in error; it should
      be 61A-H4.1 which is 3 folders containing the petition.

      Cheers,

      Jim

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      8:34 PM