Re: [S-R] Klacsano

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
      Thanks Eugene I think I am going to need all of the luck I can get with being in the Ukraine. Maybe someday that area will be able to be filmed or possibly I will be able to find someone that can do a search in there.

      Good luck to you aswell,
      June
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 3, 2007
        >>> the 1869 Hungarian Census for Vinne is not available, and
        I'm not certain why, but I believe it might have something to do with
        Ukraine. <<<

        BINGO!!!!

        The 1869 Ung Megye Hungarian Census is believed to be in Uzhorod
        Archive, so far lost to genealogy research. However, there is always
        hope!
      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 5, 2008
          For Eugene Klodzen, Vladimir's information looks very significant. The old
          ELTE map of Trencsen megye shows that Rajec(z) is right next to Klacsan, now
          Klace SK. Old Hungarian spellings also include Kleczen and Kalacsany. Roman
          Catholic church records for Klacsan are with Rajec, which go back all the
          way to 1674.

          Despite the similarity in names, there would appear to be no relation
          between the village of Klacsano near Munkacs and Klacsan in Trencsen.

          Janet

        • gklodzen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 6, 2008
            Janet, Margo, Vladimir, John and All,

            Many thanks for this recent information which may open yet another door into
            the family past, and which I would likely never have known had I not been a
            member of this group of "generous with their knowledge" family history
            researchers like yourselves. You can be sure that I will be ordering the relevant
            microfilm from the Family History Center.

            As someone said, 'Genealogy becomes rather addictive. No sooner do you find
            one ancestor but you start looking for another even further back in time.' So
            true. But even better then finding just that ancestor is the historical
            perspective that unfolds during the search, the added knowledge of the time and
            place in which the ancestor lived, thus some of which he or she may have
            personally experienced. As one who never knew his grandparents, this research
            odyssey has taught me much about them, ...and myself.

            Many thanks for your help along the way,
            Eugene Klodzen

            In a message dated 2/5/2008 10:04:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            kozlay@... writes:

            For Eugene Klodzen, Vladimir's information looks very significant. The old
            ELTE map of Trencsen megye shows that Rajec(z) is right next to Klacsan, now
            Klace SK. Old Hungarian spellings also include Kleczen and Kalacsany. Roman
            Catholic church records for Klacsan are with Rajec, which go back all the
            way to 1674.

            Despite the similarity in names, there would appear to be no relation
            between the village of Klacsano near Munkacs and Klacsan in Trencsen.

            Janet

            <<Eugene, Vladimir will probably expand on this reply because he is the
            expert. In the meantime, the Urbars are the old feudal tax records which list the
            serf taxpayers. The records from 1770ish are available on microfilm from the
            Family History Centers. In the list of microfilms, they are Urberi tabellak
            1767-1773. The documents are in archaic Slovak and Latin.

            Also, Richard Marsina and Michal Kusik wrote Urbare feudalnych pastiev na
            Slovensku (1959). Vol. 1 deals with the 16th century and Vol. 2 with the 17th
            century. I ordered this on interlibrary loan at my local public library. The
            information presented varies from year to year.

            Rajec near Zilina has a nice little restaurant. But it is also very near
            Rajec Teplice, my favorite spa in all Slovakia. The old building is very ornate.
            There is live music and dancing on summer evenings. And a small bar next to
            the pool serves slivovce.>>

            Margo

            48)

          • gklodzen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 7, 2008
              Janet, Vladimir and All,

              To add a little more information with regard to our recent discussion of
              villages Rajecz, Klacsan and Kladzan:

              In searching through the old Hungarian map, circa 1910:

              _http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg_
              (http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg)

              I've found the old village of Kladzan to be in Zemplin County at these
              coordinates:

              21 degrees, 45 minutes, & 48 degrees, 45 minutes (hope that's the right
              terminology)

              As village Kladzan was considerably closer to present day Vinne then was
              village Klaczan (located in Trencen County) I'm speculating now that perhaps my
              KLADZAN ancestors found in Vinne may have had their origins in village
              Kladzan rather then the more distant village Klacsan. And, as the spelling of
              both the ancestral surname and the village are identical, it seems a likely
              possibility.

              So, next up will be a search of records (church and others) covering years
              prior to 1812, the year of the earliest KLADZAN found in Vinne. Any thoughts
              or suggestions would, as always, be much appreciated.

              Many thanks,
              Eugene Klodzen (researching KLADZAN, PIKULA, HLADKY, LABADA)

              48)